Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 12-15-2003, 10:47 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
First time on the slopes this season

So I hit the slopes tonight for the first time this season. Only half the mountain was open -15 trails, which means 4 real trails (tons of little connectors etc). Conditions were solid, with 1"-2" of fresh powder. I had no problem ripping up the black diamonds as usual...i was really moving tonight. The whole time thinking "maybe i should slow down a bit". So just finished a big single black, i was cruising down a green connector slope and as i went to pull a 270 degree hard left to follow the trail, i cut too far to the ouside, hit a pile of powder, and my inside ski stuffed. It rotated more than 90 degrees inside, while still attacted to my boot. I felt a slight POP in my knee and then instant warmth in my lower leg. At that point im thinking, this is it, i'll never ski again.

As a side note, skiing is a huge part of my life. I've been to two national slalom waterski championships, and i've been an avid skier of both snow and water almost since i could walk. I'm definetly better at the water part of it, but i love both. I injured this very same knee seriously once before (on the water), requiring surgery. Everything went well, and the knee has treated me well ever since.

Fortunately, as I tried to stand up, my knee "pulled through" and held me up. Though it hurt quite a bit. So I limped my way off the slopes and home. I'm heading to the doctor tomorrow and keeping my fingers crossed, but seeing as i can walk on it, and extend and compress fully, i probably just sprained it. I feel so bad for my poor knee.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:58 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Cool dude. I've been 3 times already. I'm now certified as a 'local' ski instructor at Devil's head. Sweet. I have a season pass (free), but had to blow 75 on the instructor jacket (doh!).

Skiing free is cool.

- Rob
Old 12-16-2003, 12:29 PM

Rob, around here, that would be the cost of one day of skiing, so i wouldn't complain and congrets on the teaching duty!

Kevin, hope everything is okay with the knees, i have 2 bad knees from all the years of dancing , it really sucks! when the weather gets really damp or i stand in one spot for a long time, i get a lot of pain

Kelli

ps, how's Mandi?
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:14 PM

I tried snowboarding for the first time yesterday...ow....lol, i made it though, we built a jump and me being "invincible" landed on my face ...his father has a corporate pass to a resort up here, so once i get comfy on a board i can go for free

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 12-16-2003, 11:04 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
I had considered many times going for instructor. But i heard the pay sucks, so that scared me away. I just always go out on "men's night" when lift tickets are half price for the guys. Otherwise, kelli is right on. If you have to rent, one saturday afternoon could be $80 for you. That sucks.

Talked to the doctor today and didn't get good news. He thinks i may need surgery. He said to give it a week and pray it feels better. That sucks. I was hoping to try boarding this season but it looks like i'll be lucky just to be able to ski again this season.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:24 PM
Breck SVX

Instructing does usually have sh*t pay to begin with, but the higher up on the psia food chain you go the more you get and you can always work at any ski resort as a fallback.

If anyone here is interested i've got a nice pair of all mountain skis that've only been skiied on about 8-10 times. Head cyber-cross ti or something like that. I was gonna throw them on ebay but if anyone here wants I can take pictures and you'll get first dibs. They've got a pretty small radius and they're wide enough under-foot so you can rip on the groomers or off piste. about 182 cm i think.

That sucks about your knee, especially at the beginning of the season! Theres always a sit-ski though There was a few guys where I used to work who would always come through with sit-skis. They could walk fine and as far as i could tell they either a) had bad knees or b) didnt want to beat on their knees anymore. Good luck, hope it heals quickly!

-Alex
Old 12-17-2003, 09:00 AM
Unstoppable

Sounds like something that happened to me about 7 years ago. My first time skiing on my first slope, and I fell. I rolled a bit and my left ski didn't pop off like it should. So naturally my knee was the point that decided to spin, and it hurt like a *****, for about a month or so. Never did get to a Dr, and it still hurts me once an a while. Didn't stop me from skiing tho.

good luck.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 12-17-2003, 10:43 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
I had considered many times going for instructor. But i heard the pay sucks, so that scared me away.
Well I've been a Lift Operator for 9 years now (yikes! I should get retirement soon!). I make around $6.50 an hour which when you figure I need to get up at 5:30am to get there really makes my wife mad!!! The benefit is I haven't paid to ski in nearly 4 years. Only place that won't comp. me durning the week is Killington and as far as I'm concerned that's just fine as Killington is rarely decent anyway.

As for your knee issues, Should it get worse you might want to try Telemarking. Trust me it'll take all the pressure off your knee (granted it'll put it on your hamstring and calf muscles but your knees will be great)!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: