Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2003, 08:29 AM
wolf33h

Help please with bearing packing!

For lack of better evidence, I would surmise that the Subaru rear wheel bearing and BCA 516003 are identical, and made by NTN.
At the www.ntnamerica.com, under 4T-CRI-08A02, the basic load rating is given as 57 klbs dynamic, and 80 klbs static.
A packing question: since the roller bearing areas takes up 9/16 " on the outside, there is a spacing of 3/4" in between. Am I supposed to pack grease in the entire area? I read one post from vettn who took out the rollers, but that did not sound right for greasing the bearing. Help please!
Old 09-01-2003, 09:09 AM

Re: Help please with bearing packing!

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf33h
For lack of better evidence, I would surmise that the Subaru rear wheel bearing and BCA 516003 are identical, and made by NTN.
At the www.ntnamerica.com, under 4T-CRI-08A02, the basic load rating is given as 57 klbs dynamic, and 80 klbs static.
A packing question: since the roller bearing areas takes up 9/16 " on the outside, there is a spacing of 3/4" in between. Am I supposed to pack grease in the entire area? I read one post from vettn who took out the rollers, but that did not sound right for greasing the bearing. Help please!
The best advice I can offer is to purchase a wheel bearing grease packing tool if you're not sure how to do it by hand. I would use the highest quality wheel bearing grease I could get my hands on (I used a synthetic grease when I did mine about 19K miles ago now). As to the space between the bearings, maybe an expert will chime in, but here's what I did...I did the work at an Air Force Base auto hobby shop. They have certified mechanics there to assist and advise the owners with their work. I was advised (and I followed this advice) to add some grease into the open area between the bearings, but not to "pack" it in as room needs to be left for expansion with heat - otherwise it will force it's way out and open a path for crud to get in. As I'm a backyard mechanic myself I can't speak as to the truth of this claim, but it seems logical. As to the correct bearing, all I can say is that the BCA catalog lists the correct bearing, but I found their seal numbers to be in error (about 18 months ago, don't know today's status). Had to go to Napa to find the correct seals (Napa uses Chicago Rawhide for a seal supplier - at least mine were).

edit: you may want to ask questions in the Tech Q&A area as I almost missed your request for help - would have if I wasn't reading this stuff just to avoid my "Honey-Do" list.

Last edited by lee; 09-01-2003 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:07 AM
wolf33h

Re: Help please with bearing packing

Thanks Lee. I saw a packing tool with two cones and a grease gun fitting. When the grease comes out at the end, does it not mean that the space is filled with grease too? About the seals, I have ordered them through Kerven Subaru, together with a knuckle and one lateral link. Again, your response is much appreciated.
wolf33h
Old 09-01-2003, 10:51 AM

Re: Re: Help please with bearing packing

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf33h
Thanks Lee. I saw a packing tool with two cones and a grease gun fitting. When the grease comes out at the end, does it not mean that the space is filled with grease too? About the seals, I have ordered them through Kerven Subaru, together with a knuckle and one lateral link. Again, your response is much appreciated.
wolf33h
Well, to be honest, I have never used a packing tool. I was shown how to pack by hand by my Dad many years ago. However, I thought you were talking about the space in the hub between the two bearings/races. If you're just talking bout the individual bearings, then yes, pack them tight with grease until it comes out. I seem to remember reading the original packing grease should be washed out (that it was for corrosion protection on the shelf only, not to be used for actual bearing grease), again through use of the hobby shop that was easy.

Mike @ Kerven is a good guy, you can trust him. I have asked him a couple of questions in conjunction with getting the parts from him. I'm assuming that he doesn't mind as long as parts are bought through him. He may be able to ask one of their mechanics about the proper amount of grease.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:55 AM
wolf33h

Time for thanks!

Hi you all, who greeted me in the beginning of September, and after a 100 miles with the rear wheel bearing replaced, thanks much for the moral and factual support. Thanks Clydesvx, wawazat, CigarJohny, svxfiles, lee, larry, mike, mychailo, ensteele, svx_commuter, mohrs and forgive me those whom I forget to mention, for your good words. The bearing is alive and well, the SVX a lot quieter (but what do I hear on the left rear??), and I have learned a lot from doing backyard (actually driveway) mechanics...and not to shout in frustration not to upset the neighboors. Mike of Kerven Subaru came through with the needed parts, and the How To are invaluable, and Chris and his server(s) are without peers! Wheel bearing replacement is relatively simple if no other part needs replacing, but a pita otherwise!
I am looking forward to the next project, replacing the springs and struts, but it is time for a pause, truly a pleasure to thank this network and the members for a great site!!
With humble and deepest appreciation, wolf33h.