How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-01-2003, 03:50 PM
billisa

wheel bearing re-grease?

I've ordered two rear wheel bearing from 1stSubaruParts.com The fellow there says my mechanic does NOT need to use different grease than they come packed with! Has something changed? I thought the bearings HAD to be re-greased and that this was a primary reason so many failed. What's the real story?

Also, does my mechanic need any special tools he might not normally have to do the bearing job?
Old 05-01-2003, 04:03 PM

Lightbulb Were it I having them done...

...AGAIN I would take no chances and have them cleaned, dried (not with a compressor) and repacked with the highest grade synthetic wheel bearing grease I could find.

But that's just me!

Good Luck! May your bearings last 100K miles!
' 87 F250 @ 180K
' 93 ZX-11D @ 29K
' 93 SC400 @ 93K
2001 Valkyrie Interstate @ 6.6K (Brynhild)
Y2K NightHawk 250 @ 1,500 miles
' 88 420SEL II. @ 208K
'85 F150 @ 135K
Old 05-01-2003, 05:14 PM
The Molinator

Exclamation RE-GREASE

I've heard repeatedly that the bearings come with shipping (only) grease. I just did my rear bearings. I used Redline (red) bearing grease because I think their products are about as good as it gets.

The problem for me was to clean the old grease off and get the bearings clean before placing quality grease. Find out from someone on this site or from a good mechanic - HOW TO CLEAN OLD GREASE OFF AND DRY EFFECTIVELY?

I used a HubTamer - Quite a job. BUT, quiet now!

HAVE FUN!

P.S. I think primary reason given for failure is poor engineering (too small of a bearing). But, using shipping grease in car has certainly been mentioned numerous times. Also, overtorqueing bolts, like (long) lateral arm bolts - or even lug bolts!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 05-01-2003 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:58 PM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
poor engineering, subaru's are notorius for bad wheel bearings, it spans all of them

and they're a sealed bearing, they sereously should not be opened, or regreased, they come sealed to the elements, openeing them will only break the seal, and allow dirt and such to get inside

but if you want to risk it, go for it, as for how to clean and such, iduno
Old 05-01-2003, 10:55 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by NomadTW
poor engineering, subaru's are notorius for bad wheel bearings, it spans all of them

and they're a sealed bearing, they sereously should not be opened, or regreased, they come sealed to the elements, openeing them will only break the seal, and allow dirt and such to get inside

Brad, you're totally off base. The bearings for the SVX come in a shipping grease that must be completely cleaned out. You must then repack the bearing with specific bearing grease as specified in the service manual.

Mike
Old 05-02-2003, 01:04 AM

Back in my auto shop days I was taught to pack the bearings from one side until you see the new color of the grease come up through the top. It is of my opinion that this would be enough as far as getting the old grease out. I'll let you know tomorrow, as I will be packing mine first thing in the morning.

Blue
Old 05-02-2003, 05:56 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by NomadTW

I am not not sure what you are saying. Do the other non-SVX bearings come with the seals installed in the outer race? Menaing the inner race is not in two halves? The SVX rear wheel bearing does not have seals pressed in the outer race and the inner race is in two halves.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:58 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Re: RE-GREASE

Quote:
Originally posted by James Scott

The problem for me was to clean the old grease off and get the bearings clean before placing quality grease. Find out from someone on this site or from a good mechanic - HOW TO CLEAN OLD GREASE OFF AND DRY EFFECTIVELY?
Have you tried brake parts cleaner?
Old 05-02-2003, 06:17 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Use a bearing packer like Eastwood's Universal Roller Bearing Packer Item No. - 49039 www.eastwoodco.com

then you can pump grease through the bearing cleaning out the old grease along the way.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 05-02-2003, 08:11 AM

Lightbulb This ain't rocket science, guys!

You clean out the old packing grease with solvent (i.e. as in "parts washer") and air-dry (a blower, hairdrier) vs. using compressed air (higher pressures can damage the bearings) and pack them, either by hand (palm, actually) or with a bearing packer as mentioned above with THE BEST SYNTHETIC BEARING GREASE you can find.
' 87 F250 @ 180K
' 93 ZX-11D @ 29K
' 93 SC400 @ 93K
2001 Valkyrie Interstate @ 6.6K (Brynhild)
Y2K NightHawk 250 @ 1,500 miles
' 88 420SEL II. @ 208K
'85 F150 @ 135K
Old 05-02-2003, 01:17 PM
The Road Less Traveled

I've had 6 bearings put on my car.

The first four (2 on each side) didn't last 10,000 miles. Either they were not regreased, or torqued properly, despite me stressing it to the mechanic.

The last two have been on the car for 25,000 and 15,000 miles respectively. No problems yet, because I've had to watch them like a hawk when installing.

Grease matters, FOR SURE. Torque matters, FOR SURE.

Now if only my tires were quieter...

VK
Old 05-02-2003, 04:17 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
According to the factory service manual the bearings come with shell 6459n grease in them and can be further greaseed with the same during installation; however, other greases can not be mixed with this grease. If you are not using shell 6459n which i'm guessing you aren't then you must remove the factory grease and start a new.

I'm affraid the quality of mechanic service has gotten so bad you really need to take it on yourself to make sure the job is done right. You should never mix different bearing greases but I'm sure most of the mechanics that have done the bearing changes so many people complain about did just that, slobbed on whatever grease they had there on top of the factory grease. Right after they didn't replace the old races, or didn't pay attention to which race came off of which side of the bearing, and right before they impropperly torqued down the axle nut without replacing it with a new one and caulking it.

The factory wheel bearings seem to have lasted us all many many miles. There may be better bearing systems around today but when the new bearings are lasting 1/10th as long as the factory installed bearings I think the recurring bearing failure has to be mainly attributed to poor workmanship. Watch your mechanic if you have to. At the least tell him to pay attention to which side of the bearing which race came off of (that means he has to pay attention to how he sets down each part of the new bearing) and to clean and repack them. If he gives you attitude about using a torque wrench don't ever go there again. You can't even put the wheels back on the svx without using a torque wrench.

just my opinion