Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX > Political Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is Gay Marriage an issue?
Yes. There should be no gay marriage 15 38.46%
No. Let Joe and Bob marry 23 58.97%
Joe is a jerk! Bob should leave him 3 7.69%
Bob is a jerk! Joe should leave him 2 5.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2006, 08:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
wasnt this thread about gay marrage or something... i can't remember
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 06-07-2006, 11:44 AM

Yeah And In Ausrailia They're Up Tommorrow Morning...

let us get back to the issue at hand, which is marriage. Essentially the problem as I see it are the religious connotations of marriage. As a civil union recognized by the state it should be no problem, just like forming a business partnership. Conversely homosexuality is ostensibly forbidden in Christianity and the Muslim religions. Judaism too, if I remember my religous studies correctly. So with a quick lateral leap in logic, we're back to seperation of church and state. Religous people see marriage as a union sanctified by the church, secular folks see it as a union recognized by the state which would allow any married couple to enjoy the legal rights of a marriage union, all of which are covered under civil law.
As a secular humanist I don't care who marries whom. Makes absolutely no difference to me. Actually, let me take that one more step. I think anyone who wants to get married, by the state, should be able to. It's also a state's rights issue...Bush is just using constitutional amendment as a red herring, again.
WGJ

Last edited by WGJ; 06-07-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
Just tell them you are going to marry George and I bet they will shut up.

Lee
Meh. I bet my parents wouldn't care that much. As long as I was happy.

My Dad may listen to Rush everyday, but he thinks it is a comedy program.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14
My Dad may listen to Rush everyday, but he thinks it is a comedy program.
I'm a conservative, but I can't even stand Rush and never listen to him. If your dad is listening to him everyday it is definitely for more than humor.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 06-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

What WGJ said.

The only reason this is an issue, is most states have their laws written to prevent someone from marrying a Parakeet, then using it as a tax deduction.

I can see the restrictions there, but one human marrying another human for legality and financial reasons cause no problems or loss to the state. The church isn't suppose to be involved anyway. They sure aren't involved during tax time.

Funny how this has suddenly once again, become an issue. Repeating myself... Alabama Man voted 4 to 1 against gay marriage.... on primary day. All the people who could care less....probably the majority... didn't bother showing up.. It's just a primary. That's how it ended up 4 to 1. Bush won the last election this way. Democrats need to find a subject that their party can rally on so everyone shows up. But... since we are so liberal, we don't won't to "ban" anything. Freedom and tolerance is the game plan. We gotta do something about that, and get the silent majority woke up.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 06-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

Quote:
I'm a conservative, but I can't even stand Rush and never listen to him. If your dad is listening to him everyday it is definitely for more than humor.

Lee
Nah, he is goofing on the whole thing. Yesterday after listening to Hannity on the radio, he was walking around the house singing the "Proud to be an American" song they play. Drives my Mom crazy. I guess I know now why he does it.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX
Are You Sure??

Hey, I will watch Hannitty and Colmes on TV, but will not even listen to Hannitty on radio. Even though I hate Colmes, I couldn't stand a steady diet of Hannitty either.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 06-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX
Keep Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
What WGJ said.

The only reason this is an issue, is most states have their laws written to prevent someone from marrying a Parakeet, then using it as a tax deduction.

I can see the restrictions there, but one human marrying another human for legality and financial reasons cause no problems or loss to the state. The church isn't suppose to be involved anyway. They sure aren't involved during tax time.

Funny how this has suddenly once again, become an issue. Repeating myself... Alabama Man voted 4 to 1 against gay marriage.... on primary day. All the people who could care less....probably the majority... didn't bother showing up.. It's just a primary. That's how it ended up 4 to 1. Bush won the last election this way. Democrats need to find a subject that their party can rally on so everyone shows up. But... since we are so liberal, we don't won't to "ban" anything. Freedom and tolerance is the game plan. We gotta do something about that, and get the silent majority woke up.
Keep dreaming Robert--I really think you are seeing a reflection of the majority desires, not just a wimpy example as you seem to think. Like I said--except in really far left liberal areas like LA, NY, MA, etc.

Also, churches are involved at tax time---they don't pay any taxes and individual contributions to churches are tax deductible.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 06-07-2006, 03:46 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Keep dreaming Robert--I really think you are seeing a reflection of the majority desires, not just a wimpy example as you seem to think. Like I said--except in really far left liberal areas like LA, NY, MA, etc.

Also, churches are involved at tax time---they don't pay any taxes and individual contributions to churches are tax deductible.

Lee
Well I don't know if you classify NJ as one of the "really far left liberal areas", but NJ favors allowing gay marriage 56% to 39%...and 77% think the government has more important things to worry about...
http://www.gardenstateequality.org/poll.htm

AZ has 60% opposed to a gay marriage ban, and only 33% supporting it http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...929poll29.html ...which must be some sort of inconsistency right? I mean AZ is a Republican state is it not?

As a nation, 59% are in favor of the ban http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5044428.stm ...so yes, you are correct, it is a majority
For demonstration purposes red is those who support a ban

Fortunately a 3/4 majority is required in order to make an amendment, so the ban can be shot down (again) and we can move on to more pressing matters like illegal immigration

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-07-2006, 04:14 PM

I'm almost glad it isn't legal yet, as I came pretty close to making a big mistake.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:25 PM
No longer blue member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvPPoW
I'm almost glad it isn't legal yet, as I came pretty close to making a big mistake.
You know what, that's a good point, let's ban marriage!

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-07-2006, 04:30 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvPPoW
that's what gay divorce will be for.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 06-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX
You Need to Ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
Well I don't know if you classify NJ as one of the "really far left liberal areas", but NJ favors allowing gay marriage 56% to 39%...and 77% think the government has more important things to worry about...
Not really any difference between NJ and NY. Of course it is a very liberal state overall. I think the latest polls are 61 percent against gay marriages and no change for those for. Of course you get a totally different prospective when ask if there should be a constitutional amendment banning it. Also, if you take out the liberal states like I mentioned before--you come closer to the Alabama results.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 06-07-2006, 05:43 PM
No longer blue member

Quote:
Not really any difference between NJ and NY. Of course it is a very liberal state overall. I think the latest polls are 61 percent against gay marriages and no change for those for. Of course you get a totally different prospective when ask if there should be a constitutional amendment banning it. Also, if you take out the liberal states like I mentioned before--you come closer to the Alabama results.

Lee
And if you take out the devout Christian states...umm...I mean, the Republican states (TX, MS, AL, etc)...then what do you get? The results skewed in the other direction. Like it or not we are one country, and you can't blame one area for not having your way. Our laws are meant to benefit the country as a whole, and thus, decisions should be based on the greatest good for the greatest number of people. Sure, you might not agree with gay marriage (which is understandable), and you might think it's "wrong" (which is also understandable), but honestly if two guys get married, is it going to have an effect on your life? If two women got married would you not want to live next door to them? (I'm sure a few people would feel quite the contrary ) If people are as worried about saving the "sanctity of marriage" as their agenda would have you believe, then there would also be an amendment to ban divorces.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-07-2006, 06:09 PM

Hypocrisy? Where?

SubaSteevo:
"If people are as worried about saving the "sanctity of marriage" as their agenda would have you believe, then there would also be an amendment to ban divorces."
GOOD CALL!

Actually I'm suprised the lawyers aren't all over this. I read somewhere recently that a gay female couple, (in Mass I think), that went to great lengths to get married are already divorced AND there's a squabble over the kid(s). How much would the nationwide divorce rate go up if gay marrige was legal nationwide?
I can hear the lawyers now, making that funny high pitched yipping noise they make when they smell prey. No wait, sorry, ... I was thinking of Hyenas.
WGJ

Last edited by WGJ; 06-07-2006 at 06:12 PM.