SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2008, 10:36 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Post Collectible Automobile - Great Car, Lousy Timing.

http://www.subarusvx.com/articles/article1.html
I enjoy reading over these articles from time to time and this stuck out at me:

"...but those silly half-windows.... And despite styling by maestro Giorgetto Giugiaro, the SVX still managed to convey that nerdy Subaru look. It's an interesting car and a worthwhile buy at a bargain price. Just don't expect its circle of admirers to be large. - Chuck Giametta"

For a nerdy Subaru , it sure does get its fair share of compliments even in 2008. I've never had a single compliment from any other car I've owned (of course none were really very stellar either ) but for only owning the SVX for close to 5 months now, I've had nearly a dozen people comment positively about the car.... most I don't know and many times in a somewhat shocking like statement, 3 asking to buy it. As far as silly windows go... everyone states how cool they are. I'm still waiting for someone to walk up to me and state that the windows are an ugly piece of ****.

One girl at a Chik-fil-a drive-thru insisted on pulling her co-workers around and pointing out the window exclaiming "I've never seen a vehicle like that! Have you? Have you?" I almost couldn't help but feel maybe a little embarrassed by her reaction but I ended up smiling and sort of chuckling after driving away, still hearing her ranting asking once again if anyone has ever seen something like that before.

I'm not sure I can agree much to the article title though.... in regards to the lousy timing. Sadly even today this car would most likely not sell very well unless the price was considerably less, which wouldn't be probable. If anything it was a turning point for Subaru which was clearly a stepping stone experience into where they are today. It is a great car... dare I say awesome.

I feel fortunate for owning an SVX with being able to purchase one in such decent condition at such an awesome price. Worth every penny and the 1,600 mile trip to obtain one. =)

"...but make no mistake that an SVX of any vintage is indeed a capable and endearing machine--even if few others are impressed with your choice. - Rick Cotta"

And much truth holds with the articles comment below:
"It may not be inexpensive, but the SVX is built to last and a fine ride. A pity it hasn't lasted longer on the market."

Even with it not being as expensive, maintenance can take it's toll. One that can prove to be well worth it, however! I love it!
(the car that is, not the maintenance... )
Old 10-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Hells yeah. Some totally random guy said to me today "They don't make Subarus like they used to".

They sure don't.

No one has ever said to me this vehicle is unattractive.

If anything it just oozes confidence from every angle.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Re: Collectible Automobile - Great Car, Lousy Timing.

This thread is strengthening my weakened resolve toward this car. Thanks for posting it. I really do love owning an SVX.

I had yet another offer to buy it earlier this week (every couple months it seems so far) and said no without even thinking twice despite it's troubles, and at least once a week I talk to some stranger about it. Folks either have no clue what it is but want to, or passionately love it and want to tell me a story about their experience with it. I've had a lot of Subarus this age or older, and this was clearly a turning point for the company. Almost makes me curious what they've come up with since '92

Not to hijack, but that article got me thinking about my own SVX. In the article it said
Quote:
More chipsets linked with a standard antilock braking system to monitor wheel speed, throttle angle, engine data, and other inputs; when needed, the clutch pack would send power from the wheels that slipped to the wheels that gripped
If anyone thinks the TPS could be related to rear differential problems let me know on the thread:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45940

Now back to your regularly scheduled SVX worship...
Old 10-16-2008, 11:04 PM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

I always get looks at the tolls. I need to get ez-pass.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:55 PM

Lol. This is funny because I don't get any compliments or people asking about my car. Back when I had my '88 535is though it got more attention.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:13 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

I've had many compliments, especially from younger drivers. Several people have said they don't like the windows including my brother-in-law and the guy who did the safety inspection to get it licenced in Quebec.
The windows are one of the reasons I bought it.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:05 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

I have had mixed reactions, my ex-girlfriends never really liked how they looked but loved the way they drove. I have some people tell me they think its ugly while others think its great... All I know is I love these cars and will continue for as long as I can keep my hands on them

Tom