Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2009, 05:17 PM

Registered SVX
EGR temp sensor cleaned

So I cleaned what I believe to be the EGR temp sensor. Here are some pics. I hope my occasional code 56 disappears now.

Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 05-23-2009, 06:41 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: EGR temp sensor cleaned

Quite the difference, hope it works. I think I'll try it on my Outback, if it has one I can find. I have an occassional EGR code and I've swapped all the components for known working ones from my parts car.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:09 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Holy crap! With all that stuff on there, there's no way it was working right. I have a code 55 and 56 popping up myself, I'll have to take a look at mine tomorrow. Hopefully cleaning that fixes it.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:46 AM

Registered SVX

So here's another question. When I pulled the sensor out to clean it I looked down inside where the sensor mounts and it looked as bad as the sensor did. Could I spray some carb cleaner down inside there or would all of the gunk get sucked right into the EGR valve and cause problems with it once I started the engine?
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 05-26-2009, 06:58 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxash View Post
So here's another question. When I pulled the sensor out to clean it I looked down inside where the sensor mounts and it looked as bad as the sensor did. Could I spray some carb cleaner down inside there or would all of the gunk get sucked right into the EGR valve and cause problems with it once I started the engine?
That's the EGR temp sensor allright, mine was every bit as bad. It's not hard to access and clean, hope that get's the code for ya.

I wouldn't spray in there without everything EGR and control valve & hoses being off to drain. Even then, you might just make a lump of gunk in there that breaks loose at a bad time.

I'm thinking regular use of injector cleaner in the gas and name-brand gas with "techroline" or the equivalent is a better way to reduce engine deposits. I've become a believer recently after taking my intake off for new vacuum hoses. I cleaned the throttle body good, but the intake was not the best, including the other side of the manifold leading down to the valves. It may not reach all the way thru the EGR system, but its a start...
Old 05-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

What did you use to clean it? Does it just wipe it off or do you need a solvent?
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007