SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2003, 11:01 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
The Icing on the SVX Cake

Yesterday morning it was very foggy and drizzly. It rained some during the day. Last night the temperature fell below freezing.

This morning I went out to go to work. The driveway had a thin coating of black-ice (verglas) on it. My 92 SVX sat out all night. I pushed the button on the keyfob. There was the customary beep beep and the lights inside the car went on. I grabbed the door handle and pulled. The door stayed closed I promptly started to slide and my feet went under the car. I landed on my Kiester. I got up, walked around the car and tried the other door. It wouldn't budge. The locks were undocked but the doors were frozen shut. I went back around to the driver's door and after a few minutes of yanking, I got the door opened. The car started instantly as usually. Then I got out and used the scaper on the windows.
Driving to work I noticed that none of the windows would go down. By the time I got to work the heater had unfroze the windows.

Have any of you "northern climate SVXers" had these problems and do you have any solutions ? Don't say put the car in the garage. That's not an option. The 97 SVX and Rosie's 97 Outback stay in the garage.

Thanks for any help.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!

Last edited by LarryIII; 02-24-2003 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:08 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
This has happened to me a few times, especially when I decide to 'wash my car' in below zero conditions... what I did was spray a lubricant around the perimeter ofthe door, like WD40. Yeah, its gross, and yeah, it'll probably attract dirt and it might get oil spots on your clothes if you bump it, but hey, at least my door isnt frozen solid to the frame. I had to yank so hard I thougth I was going to rip the handle off before. I suppose waxing the door frame might work too! G'luck, and let me know if you find any better ideas.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:08 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I've got something for your windows.... Before you go to sleep at night go put a towel on the window.... It will keep the Ice and snow off so all you gotta do when you get up in the morning is tackle your doors pull the sheet off and you're good to go..

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-24-2003, 11:16 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Hi Larry. First off, I would say you have to choose between everyday convenience and pampering the garage queen. The two car garage is kinda going to waste if it is keeping a car warm and dry that you can't use in the morning to drive to work. But then again, I guess I can't relate, my SVX had to spend a few years outside and just now I'm enjoying have a warm car ready to go in the garage in the morning.

So to offer some advice with your chosen situation. First off, something on the windshield is a must. My dad taught me to do newspapers back in the day, but a towel or blanket just seems safer (no newsprint to rub off ). You could then take this to the next level as I have done before and drape the entire top half of the car in a big blanket so all windows are covered. Just pull the blanket off in the morning and all windows are clear and dry! Helps if the blanket(s) hangs downt he sides far enough to cover the door handle area too, as this will eliminate frozen locks and maybe even frozen doors. Works for the hood too, keeps the engine warmer.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 02-24-2003, 11:17 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
what I did was spray a lubricant around the perimeter ofthe door, like WD40.
I don't know if I would put wd40 on there.... I know wd40 dosn't like plastics and rubber very much. I think that if it were me I would just get some armor all and put a good coat of that on the seals of the doors.... If not that then try some hand lotion... That might work, and if you get alot on there you can wipe your hands on it and keep them from cracking in the cold

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-24-2003, 12:20 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

How 'bout a car cover, AKA "portable garage"?

www.mcneil.com has them by CoverCraft.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 02-24-2003, 12:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX

If not that then try some hand lotion... That might work, and if you get alot on there you can wipe your hands on it and keep them from cracking in the cold
Why don't I just stay in bed and rub the lotion on the Beautiful Naviguesser.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 02-24-2003, 01:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Larry,

I've found that when my doors are frozen shut, the SVX's construction makes it easier to get into than other cars. The seals around the upper frame of the door are on the outside, so you can just pry lightly between the roof and the upper glass with your fingers or a scraper. That always gives me enough of a start to get the door open by pulling on the handle.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-24-2003, 04:10 PM
hotshoe50

opening the doors

Pour really hot water all around the window seal and the door will open as if by magic

Hotshoe
Old 02-24-2003, 05:24 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Put the tire shine stuff on your rubber. It will make it all shiny and keep it from drying out and freezing together when its moist.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-24-2003, 05:38 PM
ALsvx

Move to Alabama, wear it's warum..... We gotta lotta jabs fo you "enginneeeeers" down here on dem big coal trains.... An God only knows how bad we can use anglish teechers.....
Old 02-24-2003, 06:32 PM
svxtremist2001

Re: opening the doors

Quote:
Originally posted by hotshoe50
Pour really hot water all around the window seal and the door will open as if by magic

Hotshoe
Ya and watch your windows all shatter from the sudden temp. difference.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:37 PM
TapperManor

Re: The Icing on the SVX Cake

This has happened to me probably about 6 times this winter. Last night I tried to get in through the trunk...........AUUUGGHHH!!!!! I am concerned that I will break the door handles from pulling on them so hard! (like the handle broke on my XT) I have coated my seals with vegatable oil - this seems to help, but not when there is freezing rain or some variation thereof. It seems that the design of the top of the door is prone to freeze ups. I guess the blanket solution would work, but that is kind of a pain. Ohhh...........and when i wash my svx in sub-freezing temps (there has been alot this year) , I wipe the seals dry all around with a rag to prevent them from feezing solid.

Tapper

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Yesterday morning it was very foggy and drizzly. It rained some during the day. Last night the temperature fell below freezing.

This morning I went out to go to work. The driveway had a thin coating of black-ice (verglas) on it. My 92 SVX sat out all night. I pushed the button on the keyfob. There was the customary beep beep and the lights inside the car went on. I grabbed the door handle and pulled. The door stayed closed I promptly started to slide and my feet went under the car. I landed on my Kiester. I got up, walked around the car and tried the other door. It wouldn't budge. The locks were undocked but the doors were frozen shut. I went back around to the driver's door and after a few minutes of yanking, I got the door opened. The car started instantly as usually. Then I got out and used the scaper on the windows.
Driving to work I noticed that none of the windows would go down. By the time I got to work the heater had unfroze the windows.

Have any of you "northern climate SVXers" had these problems and do you have any solutions ? Don't say put the car in the garage. That's not an option. The 97 SVX and Rosie's 97 Outback stay in the garage.

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:04 PM

I'm so glad to be back in California where it is spring now - but after 5 years in Chicago and many ice storms I learned to use a windshield cover that woud wrap around and stick throught the front doors. ie you close the doors on the thing. This did two things 1. kept the ice off the windshield and 2. made it easier to break the ice lock on the door. once you can move the cover a bit everything opens easier. They are only a few dollars - just takes a couple minutes to put them on.

Anyone have a good used engine for sale? My car just died and I don't wnat to have to junk it.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:06 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by jen
I'm so glad to be back in California where it is spring now - but after 5 years in Chicago and many ice storms I learned to use a windshield cover that woud wrap around and stick throught the front doors. ie you close the doors on the thing. This did two things 1. kept the ice off the windshield and 2. made it easier to break the ice lock on the door. once you can move the cover a bit everything opens easier. They are only a few dollars - just takes a couple minutes to put them on.

Anyone have a good used engine for sale? My car just died and I don't wnat to have to junk it.
Hello Jen,

You can't stand the weather ah? I don't blame ya. As for the engine, talk to greensvx. He may have an engine or two for you.

I thank you for not junking out your SVX.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!