How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-12-2003, 12:34 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

SVX spotted

Greetings everyone. Hope everything is going well with you all.

today i was parked next to a svx at the stoplight. my first encounter with another svx. i was pretty amazed at how it looked. it looked good. it was a claret svx. obviously i had to honk and wave at the guy. he rolled down his window (appears his driver side cluster did not work because he had to reach over and use the passenger side switch. i told him he had a nice car. he said thanks. that was the end of the conversation. it appears that he is not as enthused as per say greenmarine. ah well. don't think he's a member of the forum, but i've seen his svx around the lenox area. i'm surprised that this guy more than likely lives in my area. too bad. i probably could have fixed his switch for him. oh well.

by the way, here's a picture of another car that in my opinion looks like a svx. i think that it was designed by the same people, they designed other models for them before.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Noir/6364.jpg

if i get the chance i think i'll buy one.

what do you guys n gals think?
Old 02-12-2003, 12:37 AM

that looks like a lotus espirit. those cars are nice!! maybe expensive too.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:57 AM

http://www.angelfire.com/apes/sweetcars/espirit.html heres the lotus, looks similar
Old 02-12-2003, 06:08 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
I always liked the Lotus and I would guess that you could find one relatively cheap. I'd really hate having to make repairs on it though and the little 4 banger is stressed trying to make the horsepower it does. It all depends on what year you are looking at as far as mechanicals go but the styling really hasn't changed much over the past, what...20+ years? lol

Would be a blast to drive one!

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:53 AM
alacrity024

...far as i know lotus engines aren't exactly under a lot of stress to make hp.. they're usually v6's or v8's and quite often assisted by twin turbos.. maybe the elise has the four banger to which you refer?

-adam
Old 02-12-2003, 06:58 AM
alacrity024

check THIS car out:

http://www.geocities.com/ape5_nick/962.html

who wants to look for a used motor from one of THESE bad boys???

-adam
Old 02-12-2003, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
...far as i know lotus engines aren't exactly under a lot of stress to make hp.. they're usually v6's or v8's and quite often assisted by twin turbos.. maybe the elise has the four banger to which you refer?

-adam
The Lotus Espris I've ever looked at had turboed 4 bangers...big ones. That is what always amazed me about them, the fact that they had 4 cylinders in a "super" car like that.

Old 02-12-2003, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
check THIS car out:

http://www.geocities.com/ape5_nick/962.html

who wants to look for a used motor from one of THESE bad boys???

-adam
That is one sweet looking car!

Old 02-12-2003, 08:50 AM
Green1995SVX

Re: SVX spotted

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
it appears that he is not as enthused as per say greenmarine.
HAHAHA! Good one!

Mike
Old 02-12-2003, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
The Lotus Espris I've ever looked at had turboed 4 bangers...big ones. That is what always amazed me about them, the fact that they had 4 cylinders in a "super" car like that.
Here is what I found from a Lotus Esprit site:

"In the 1997 model year, Lotus finally put to rest one of the biggest gripes that the automotive media had about the Esprit. It did this by introducing the Esprit V8.

Externally, the main differences between the 1997 V8 and its predecessor (the 1995 S4s - there was no official 1996 Esprit) is a new look to the front valance panel, twin tailpipe exhaust (one per side), and beautiful new AWI six spoke allow wheels. Internally, the 1997 V8 is identical to the S4s except for a small V8 logo on one of the gauges. The real difference lies under the decklid where the brand new 3.5 liter 350HP Twin Turbo engine known as the Lotus 918 breathes. "

The Esprits I'm familiar with had 3.0litre inline 4 cylinders that put out between 200 - 300 hp depending on the year.

Old 02-12-2003, 11:09 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Man... Noir.....

What was wrong with my approach?!?!??! I mean I couldn't just roll down my window and talk to him.... I don't have power windows in my Jeep and we were doing about 45mph.... So I had to resort to hand signals and screaming at him..... He probably just took it the wrong way ..... So I had to chase him dowm... He made me do it!!!!! If he had just pulled over then none of that would have happened .... I wish that he had though, now I gotta go out and try to find him again

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

Had to comment on the Lotus Esprit...
The older models had the 4 cyl set up and now can be had for under 10K if you looks hard enough..but the true beast is the new twin turbo v-8...must also say there is no interior room but is a very nice car to look at, and they have handeling better then about any other RWD car. Right now the new ones are selling for 90K. They are a nice car but i am waiting for the elise hard top to start selling other than just for the race track.

This is thanks to James Dunne: Bottom of the page..

The Etna was an italdesign designed car for lotus that never made it..i would really love one of them to be in my ownership...
Old 02-12-2003, 03:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: SVX spotted

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
By the way, here's a picture of another car that in my opinion looks like a svx. i think that it was designed by the same people, they designed other models for them before.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Noir/6364.jpg

if i get the chance i think i'll buy one.

what do you guys n gals think?
Harry,

Giugiaro did, in fact, design the Lotus Esprit - but not the one you have pictured there. The original Esprit, starting with the 1977 model year, was designed by Giugiaro. Somewhere around '88 Lotus 'updated' the Esprit to the shape you see there.

The debate over whether the 4cyl Esprits were underpowered or not will rage on for decades. I don't really care - 4cyl or 8cyl I'd take any one of them. My dream car, and the next 'toy car' I want to park next to the SVX, is an '87 Esprit Turbo HCi - the last of the Giugiaro Esprits and the fastest.

There were no 6cyl Esprits ever produced by Lotus.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 02-12-2003 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:10 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: espirit

amen pockets. acutally i knew that was a lotus. and i know guigario designed it's predecessors. i found that on ebay and i love it. that would probably be the next car i buy after i buy my house hopefully sometime next year. the design is nice and sleek.

i really don't like the new cars that are coming out. they look cheap and crappy. the lotus looks quite elegant as the svx. (although the new lotus's look kinda stupid) now i would spend 40k for a lotus espirit v8, but as my peers all have decided to go the bmw 330ci and acura type-s (whatever that is) spending 40k and 33k for them. these so called peers are what most people will consider posers. they believe that the car will bring more women (stupid childish assumptions), but as we all know SVX'ers are people who really know have tastes for a good ride and good looks. SVX'er for life here. Spent 3k so far since 01/2003 and still trying to restore it back to it's original glory.

also saw a red svx today looked like a 93. left a piece of paper saying join the family fellow svx'er. would be interesting to see if they come on. saw 2 svx's in 2 days.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:34 AM

Lotus Esprit

I was looking into getting an Esprit, since I'd seen a few for around 15k. However, after a bit of research at http://www.espritfactfile.com/ , I decided to focus my automotive interests elsewhere. One of the major factors was the repair costs... if you think the SVX is bad, check out these prices:

Wheel lug bolts $17 each
Suspension bushings $19 to $50 each
Spark plugs $27 each
Small window decals $80 each
Throttle Position Sensor $150
Clutch Disc $200
Pressure plate $200
Set of brake pads (1 axle) $225
Steering wheel $700
Alloy wheels $750 each
Non-assisted steering rack $800
Flywheel $1,500