SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-08-2003, 11:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to fjm57
Registered SVX
SVX Maintenance

Hey guys, any advice would be appreciated
This what I have scheduled for 1st quarter this year.
Struts:
Since I don't compete or race the car I'll probably just go stock, I am getting a little noise around the mounts especially when its cold, so will probably get them too.
Motor/trans mounts:
At a stop while Idling and in gear I have a vibration that is getting to be a little annoying. It is my understanding that the motor mounts are gel filled and will harden or split and cause this. The trans mount was replaced ~28K ago when the tranny was swapped, may go ahead and get that one too.
Rear speakers:
While I have the interior out for the struts I'll probably replace these.
I've gotten parts from Tacoma WA and from Liberty in NJ, any others I could check out?
Funny story
My local dealer has banned me from his lot, Harper Subaru. I was told by his staff that they preferred not to service the SVX, I called SOA for a location on the next nearest dealer, they in turn called Harper, his staff admitted what they said and he backed them up and personally called me and told me to stay away from his lot. I think he was just mad that I called SOA.

Brief history of my SVX
Purchased by original owner in Colorado from Huebener (sp). Owner relocated here (Knoxville, TN), Had tranny problems ~97K Same local dealer gave them grief, Botched the first tranny swap, did a second swap. They had engine problems the dealer said it could be an intermittent MAF but were not sure and they opted out of the service due to distrust in the dealer and decided to sell the car. I knew the owners husband and he knew I liked the car, offered to sell it. I bought it replaced the MAF,Scott @ Tacoma diagnosed it over the phone, started getting noises from the tranny took it to dealer (warranty) That's when I got banned, they absolutely did not want to touch it. The problem turned out to be a cracked flexplate, I had it replaced at a local private shop that I use to service/repair items I can't do at home.
Some dealers have just lost sight of good customer service.
Anyway, any and all advice on my maintenance items would be welcome.
Love my SVX
Jim

“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.”
-Bertrand Russell -
Old 01-08-2003, 12:00 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: SVX Maintenance

Quote:
Originally posted by fjm57
Hey guys, any advice would be appreciated
This what I have scheduled for 1st quarter this year.
Struts:
Since I don't compete or race the car I'll probably just go stock, I am getting a little noise around the mounts especially when its cold, so will probably get them too.
Motor/trans mounts:
At a stop while Idling and in gear I have a vibration that is getting to be a little annoying. It is my understanding that the motor mounts are gel filled and will harden or split and cause this. The trans mount was replaced ~28K ago when the tranny was swapped, may go ahead and get that one too.
Rear speakers:
While I have the interior out for the struts I'll probably replace these.
I've gotten parts from Tacoma WA and from Liberty in NJ, any others I could check out?
Funny story
My local dealer has banned me from his lot, Harper Subaru. I was told by his staff that they preferred not to service the SVX, I called SOA for a location on the next nearest dealer, they in turn called Harper, his staff admitted what they said and he backed them up and personally called me and told me to stay away from his lot. I think he was just mad that I called SOA.

Brief history of my SVX
Purchased by original owner in Colorado from Huebener (sp). Owner relocated here (Knoxville, TN), Had tranny problems ~97K Same local dealer gave them grief, Botched the first tranny swap, did a second swap. They had engine problems the dealer said it could be an intermittent MAF but were not sure and they opted out of the service due to distrust in the dealer and decided to sell the car. I knew the owners husband and he knew I liked the car, offered to sell it. I bought it replaced the MAF,Scott @ Tacoma diagnosed it over the phone, started getting noises from the tranny took it to dealer (warranty) That's when I got banned, they absolutely did not want to touch it. The problem turned out to be a cracked flexplate, I had it replaced at a local private shop that I use to service/repair items I can't do at home.
Some dealers have just lost sight of good customer service.
Anyway, any and all advice on my maintenance items would be welcome.
Love my SVX
Jim
You'll find an SVX friendly, Subaru Only dealership in Harriman, TN. Earl Duff Subaru. Tim (the owner's son) is an SVXer himself. You can bet they know how to work on them. They were great to us during the Springtime in the Smokies SVX meet a couple of years ago.

There was another fellow at the Meet who, I think, was banned by Harpers also. They actually went so far as to call the police on him after driving onto their lot after they told him they would not service his car. What's up with these people? Sheesh.

If you need a maintenance schedule, go to the "how to" personal locker, and there is a schedule that I scanned from the factory service manuals.

G'luck.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-08-2003, 12:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to fjm57
Registered SVX
Re: Re: SVX Maintenance

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

You'll find an SVX friendly, Subaru Only dealership in Harriman, TN. Earl Duff Subaru. Tim (the owner's son) is an SVXer himself. You can bet they know how to work on them. They were great to us during the Springtime in the Smokies SVX meet a couple of years ago.

There was another fellow at the Meet who, I think, was banned by Harpers also. They actually went so far as to call the police on him after driving onto their lot after they told him they would not service his car. What's up with these people? Sheesh.

If you need a maintenance schedule, go to the "how to" personal locker, and there is a schedule that I scanned from the factory service manuals.

G'luck.
Hi
That was me at the meet, i was the one that got there just in time for the Bar-b-que
Harper (Harper Subaru) had threatened to call the police on me if I was seen on the lot and was going to file a restraining order on me. A week later a got mail from them reminding me to get my oil changed.

Earl Duff is a great dealer and his people are great, he is about an hour away from me, so not really conveniant but will go there if I get into something over my head. Definately a good example of the way it should be. That would be where I would buy my next Subaru from.
I had fun at the meet, when is the next one?
Jim

“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.”
-Bertrand Russell -
Old 01-08-2003, 01:08 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: SVX Maintenance

Quote:
Originally posted by fjm57

Hi
That was me at the meet, i was the one that got there just in time for the Bar-b-que
Harper (Harper Subaru) had threatened to call the police on me if I was seen on the lot and was going to file a restraining order on me. A week later a got mail from them reminding me to get my oil changed.

Earl Duff is a great dealer and his people are great, he is about an hour away from me, so not really conveniant but will go there if I get into something over my head. Definately a good example of the way it should be. That would be where I would buy my next Subaru from.
I had fun at the meet, when is the next one?
Jim
I was wondering if that was you.

Haven't heard from Bill in a while. Didn't have much luck getting a meet together last year.

Maybe this year.

An hour? Heck, I drive two hours to have my bearings changed. I can't trust anyone nearby.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI