Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-30-2002, 11:01 PM
CopsodyX

My mom leases a 2001 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro. I've driven both my 1992 SVX LS-Touring and her loaded A6 quite extensively. Here's my opinion:

Acceleration from a standstill: SVX wins just barely.

Passing power: SVX KILLS the Audi.

Top end power: The Audi from 100-130 is a dog. It takes like a minute to go from 100-110. My SVX does it in a few seconds.

Fuel economy: If my SVX wasn't running rich, the SVX would get better mileage than the A6, as the best she ever gets in that car is 19 MPG.

Handling: The only car I ever drove really on the road was the SVX, and then, when II started driving the A6, I really started to appreciate the SVX's handling, even without any traction control. The SVX can take off ramps 20 MPH faster than the A6, and if you press the gas hard out of a corner on a wet day, the SVX doesn't slide out...the A6 slides out in back, and my thoughts are that by the time the ESP starts working, you can already be in a bad situation.

Ride quality: The SVX ride is the best i've felt in a coupe, but the A6 is better of course.

Turning circle: SVX.

High speed cruising: SVX.

Quietness: SVX. Sometimes my moms A6 sounds like a jet, and when the A/C is on the thing is just plain unpleasant. Anyone else notice this about the compressor in the A6?

Braking: The SVX brakes are great. The pedal motion is firm and action is quick. The A6 brakes feel spongy at first, but you quickly get used to them. The action isn't as quick as the SVX though.

Steering: The SVX steering in the Touring models is awesome. Feather light at low speeds and tighter at higher speeds. I HATE the A6 steering. It's not light enough at low speeds and at high speeds it's artificially heavy.

Front seat comfort: The SVX seats are much more comfortable. The A6 seats have a headrest thats really uncomfortable. The armrests on the doors and the center console on the A6 are placed strangely, where as the SVX ones are placed perfectly for comfort.

Ergonomics: The SVX controls are way better than the A6 overall. The climate control in the A6 is stupid...you can select different temperatures for each side but you can't choose individual fan speeds. But there's no denying that the A6 interior is GORGEOUS, and when everything in there is lit at night, with the small red pen tip projector lights lighting the dark wood in the car from a far, its like looking at something from the Museum of Modern Art...it's gorgeous.

Rear seat comfort: The A6 wins, duh. But for a sports car, the SVX rear seat is amazing. Two normal sized people are very comfortable back there, and three CAN fit if none of them are that large. No other sports car that I know of can do that.

Longevity/Build Quality: The A6 when you first get it looks and feels like a solid vault. However, 40,000 miles later the car rattles quite a bit, and exterior trim pieces are falling off. After ONLY 40,000 miles and two years. My SVX on the other hand wasn't babied, but it's rock solid inside and out, and doesn't have any rattles that I notice. The car has 105,000 miles and is 11 years old. My paint looks better than hers also. It's amazing.

Interior/Exterior Features and Creature Comforts: The SVX has everything I need, including power drivers seat, climate control, a good stereo, power sunroof, and more. The A6 has much more, but nothing I miss except for the heated seats. And the A6 doesn't have the rear windshield wiper .

Exterior looks: My SVX earns constant compliments on its looks. There's no doubt that the A6 is attractive, but everyone has one, and almost nobody ever compliments it.

Value: My moms A6 is $45,000. My SVX cost me $12,000 in all, and that's with EVERYTHING, basically, a new car. If I would have bought one from someone that took care of it, it probably would have only cost me about $5,000 in all. But it's the best $12,000 that can be spent on a car, and that includes an aftermarket 2 year warranty for just about everything. My SVX is in better shape after 11 years and 105,000 miles than the A6 is after 2 years and 40,000 miles.

In my opinion, it's no contest. Sure, i'd personally prefer a 2003 Porsche Cayenne to my 1992 SVX, but they're really not comparable. The same way a new Lexus and Audi aren't really comparable to a 10 year old car...or, wait...i've proven they are, and that the 10 year old car wins, and that I PREFER the 10 year old car. So, either your SVX is a real POS, or your family is jealous of it or have to have what everyone else has (I hate people like that...there's no excuse for so many pigs oozing out of their Tahoe trucks everyday).
Old 12-01-2002, 08:27 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Sorry Fait, but I think they would only feel that way about your car. Right off the bat we all know they are snobs and can quickly guess how they would feel about your particular example of an SVX. Since you obviously smoke in the car and leave ashes all over the place I'm sure it stinks really bad inside and that coupled with all the broken and missing parts in it they would probably be reluctant to sit in it let alone touch anything inside if they did. Generally the way a person maintains a car mechanically corresponds to how they take care of it inside as well. I'm sure they aren't very impressed by the performance of it and can guess why. Sorry to sound like I'm coming down hard on you but for God's sake, man, clean up your car! Especially if you love driving it the way you claim to.

I'm with you in my belief that cars were meant to be driven and sporty cars were meant to be driven hard but there is no excuse for the way you maintain your SVX. I'm sure if they ever rode in a clean, well maintained that was every bit as gorgeous inside and out as their Audi's and Lexus' that they would change their tunes about the SVX. I guarantee that they are thinking that if the car was as great as you say it is that you would take better care of it. And what does the way you take care of yours say about it? That the SVX is a POS.

Sorry, brother, no offense but I'm sure most others would agree with me.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 12-01-2002, 03:01 PM
CopsodyX

Lemme add one more thing to my "reviews"

The transmission in the A6 is **** unless you never accelerate once you're up to speed. The torque converter locks up WAY too early, and takes at least a second to unlock, and then it takes a LOOOONNG time to downshift. The tiptronic feature is great and I wish we had it on the SVX, but overall the SVX transmission is better...it's kind of like having the tiptronic feature right on the accelerator because it always chooses the right gear, never hunts, and downshifts are always lightening-quick.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:05 PM
CopsodyX

So show your relatives this thread and start taking care of your SVX
Old 12-02-2002, 11:54 AM
$VX

Here's what to do:

1. wash your car

2. Get them on a highway where you are all going about 65-70mph.... and at a certain point, all of you floor it.

I doubt they'll diss your car ever again.

The SVX is a freaking BEAST on the highway. BMW-what? pffft. Acura type whocares. On the highway, the SVX is incredible.

- Ca$h
Old 12-02-2002, 12:51 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
If that doesn't work

Then do the following:

1. Wash the SVX...inside and out.
2. Douse their cars in gasoline
3. Burn their cars
4. Say "YEA...how do you like the SVX NOW??? Huh? Huh? Looks like the SVX is the only way you can get to work now!!! Not lookin too shabby anymore...is it? IS IT?!?!"
5. Run from police in your 140+MPH SVX

92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 12-02-2002, 12:56 PM
Green1995SVX

The passing acceleration always shuts them up. Try it. They'll be too busy trying to remain upright in their seat!!

Mike