Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-03-2012, 12:05 AM

Line out coverter q:

i am a little confussed about how the line out converter works i see picture of it mounted in the trunk of svx's
and there is a bunch of wires comeing out to the line-out converter are all those wire being use or just the ones for the rear speakers.and if they are being used where are they runing too? the H.U.
http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-2-Chan...5571938&sr=1-1
is this the same as as line out converter
http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-FM-MOD...571938&sr=1-10

i am now concidering keeping my stock radio and adding subwoofers.
is this the only way to add subs to the factory stereo? because i noticed fm reception is not very good on aftermarket radios.

if by adding line out coverter to the rear speakers will the rear speakers now powered by the amp and if i turn my radio up too loud will they blow? do i have to add crossover to them....
found this on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAHKc...eature=related

Last edited by kjoyes; 01-03-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Line out coverter q:

You will only use 4 of the wires. Left rear +, Left rear -, Right rear +, and Right rear -. This only uses the signal going to the rear speakers to run the amp. The amp will not power the rear speakers. You will not need a crossover for your rear speakers as nothing will change with regard to the frequencies going to them.

Yes, this is the only way to add subs to the factory stereo. The reason the FM reception is better with the factory radio is because it utilizes both of the car's antennas.
2001 Audi S8
Old 01-03-2012, 09:17 AM

Registered SVX

I have no issues with reception on my aftermarket radio, and its the cheapest pioneer they sell at walmart.
Did you plug in just the wire that that goes to the mast antenna??

Info from 2.5.5 Antenna Connection section at:
http://ae64.com/AudioInstall-2.htm

"The SVX and factory radio have two antenna cables.
One cable goes to the telescoping power antenna. The second cable connects to the rear window defogger (which doubles as an antenna).

The factory radio uses a feature called "Diversity" for better FM reception — it picks whichever antenna is getting the stronger reception at any moment. How can the rear window defogger make that much difference? You might have experienced this in a car with a single antenna: While slowly rolling up to a traffic light, the reception on a particular FM station drops suddenly or gets lots of static. Just moving the car forward by a foot or two makes the signal return. With Diversity, in many such situations the two antennas are far enough apart for one of them to "see around the obstruction."

Unfortunately, receiver manufacturers have stopped including Diversity. According to the folks at Crutchfield, the last model they sold that had it was in 2001. What this means to you? Unless you've bought an older receiver that has Diversity (i.e., has two antenna cables), you'll only need to connect one antenna to your receiver. Don't use a Y-adapter to connect both antennas to a non-Diversity receiver. That will give you worse reception than just using the SVX's power antenna alone (it's an "impedance-mismatch" thing).

Make your antenna connections:

Take the SVX antenna cable that ends with the male Motorola plug (fatter diameter cable, with the pointy end). This is the cable that comes from the telescoping power antenna. Connect this cable to the female end of your antenna extension cable."

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 01-03-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:44 AM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

As everyone else said, you just hook all those wires to the (+), (-), left and right of your rear speakers. Your rear speakers' volume, quality, etc. will not change at all, so you don't have to worry about that. But remember, if you fade the volume away from the back, it will lower the volume of your subwoofer. The same goes is you adjust the bass on your head unit, you have no choice with the stock stereo but to adjust the levels to your sub as well. It does work, it does sound okay, but you don't have very many options unless you have gain and bass control directly on your amp. I have that same line-output converter, and I haven't had a problem with it yet.
STi Airlift Performance air suspension
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

First bagged SVX in the world
Worlds first SVX on air suspension.
Custom made (by myself) spare tire subwoofer.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:17 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 4 You View Post
As everyone else said, you just hook all those wires to the (+), (-), left and right of your rear speakers. Your rear speakers' volume, quality, etc. will not change at all, so you don't have to worry about that. But remember, if you fade the volume away from the back, it will lower the volume of your subwoofer. The same goes is you adjust the bass on your head unit, you have no choice with the stock stereo but to adjust the levels to your sub as well. It does work, it does sound okay, but you don't have very many options unless you have gain and bass control directly on your amp. I have that same line-output converter, and I haven't had a problem with it yet.
Also remember that the volume control will decrease and increase the power going to the amp. More so then a normal setup.
Best bet is to turn the volume up to the max you will ever go before setting the amp gain and bass so it does not over power later
Old 01-03-2012, 11:57 PM

ok so i run 4 wire from the rear speaker to the line-out converter then the rca to the amp.
does it matter how your sub is wired?
do you need to run a remote wire?
found this line out converter that is supose to be better than the scoche one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEoqLbgKNu0

http://www.motorator.com/videos/1430

matching gains or what not>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViyukD_0i1c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViyukD_0i1c

Last edited by kjoyes; 01-04-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:27 AM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

Look on the package of the line-output converter and be sure to match them up with the proper wires on your rear speakers. Then just RCA to the amp and you should be good. Having a remote knob to turn on or to change volume? Either way, if you can have both, do it. It's really nice to have total control, especially if you're listening to music that you don't need your sub for.
STi Airlift Performance air suspension
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

First bagged SVX in the world
Worlds first SVX on air suspension.
Custom made (by myself) spare tire subwoofer.