Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2011, 11:52 AM

FINALLY finished my VC seals and TB swap... Looks like I need a rear main. $HIT!!!!

OK, so I finally got to crank my car up after replacing the VC gaskets, VC washers, Cam seals, Oil pump seals, Timing Belt, Water pump, pulleys, etc.

After letting it run for 15 minutes there were ZERO leaks on the parts I just replaced.. EXCELLENT. I went under the car and noticed a tiny drop of oil dripping down onto the cross member near the steering rack. Upon further inspection, I saw that it was coming from above the rear of the oil pan, slightly to the right of dead center. This was FRESH oil, not runoff from the old problem, and it was slow but continuous. Crap. Just when I thought I was done.

I don't know if I'm capable of changing the rear main seal and/or seperator plate. I'm assuming that the transmission needs to be dropped to get to it, right? How much more difficult is this project than what I just completed? How much would a shop charge to do this?

Thanks.

Clarke
Old 03-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: FINALLY finished my VC seals and TB swap... Looks like I need a rear main. $HIT

It's a bit more difficult, but if you have access to a lift or a cherry picker, not too bad of a job in all honesty.

A shop will charge more than it's worth IMO...
Old 03-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: FINALLY finished my VC seals and TB swap... Looks like I need a rear main. $HIT

That's a pisser considering all of the other stuff you replaced would have been very simple with the engine out!
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

I would not bother fixing that leak unless the transmission was coming out for another reason.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 03-13-2011, 03:23 PM

So are the options to pull the engine or drop the tranny? If so, can the tranny be dropped with the car on jack stands, or do you really need a lift?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
That's a pisser considering all of the other stuff you replaced would have been very simple with the engine out!
I agree, and had I thought to look for the leaking rear main, it would have made more sense to pull the engine. Unfortunately, had that been the case I would probably never started the project and I'd still have the car in storage... I guess it's best that it worked out this way.

Now, the next question is if it's better to pull the engine now, or just do the tranny drop method at this point...
Old 03-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I've replaced a tranny on jackstands in my garage. It's been many years, but I remember having the jackstands on top of blocks just to get it all high enough to get the tranny out.

Removing the tranny takes less in terms of junk removal (wires, hoses, etc. ) But it is tough without a lift. Removing it from underneath on jackstands kinda sucks.

Removing the engine is pretty simple if you have a cherry picker. Once you have all the hoses and wires loose it pulls right out. A folding cherry picker isn't too expensive from harbor freight or northern tools. If you ask around you might even find a friend has one in their garage. Plus, with that engine out you have all kinds of room to clean it, change plugs, etc.

Personally, if my rear main was leaking I'd pull the engine. You might get a different answer from someone who has done a few tranny swaps and is good at it. I've only pulled the engine once and I've only pulled the tranny once and to me pulling the engine sucked a lot less than the tranny.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:41 AM

So one of the Subaru Dealers in Charlotte have quoted me $600-$650 to do the repair. Damn... I was hoping for about $400.

I can't decide what to do.

Are the two parts the Main oil seal and the Oil seperator cover, or are there other items that need to be replaced as well?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:31 AM

I also pulled a tranny without a lift, in my driveway using 4 jackstands, no blocks needed but very close working conditions, for me tranny trouble pull tranny, for engine trouble pull engine. Pulling engines is kinda fun, pulling tranny not so much, Leaks suck!............G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:32 PM

I'm not 100% sure I can do this job, so, is $600-$650 a fair price, or is that insanely expensive?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:47 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkerussell View Post
I'm not 100% sure I can do this job, so, is $600-$650 a fair price, or is that insanely expensive?
Not insanely expensive since either the trans or engine needs to be pulled, but for about $20 or so in parts, not really worth it until the trans fails or if you do it yourself...
Old 06-30-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Not insanely expensive since either the trans or engine needs to be pulled, but for about $20 or so in parts, not really worth it until the trans fails or if you do it yourself...
Well, I'm back at this again... after a year of hemming and hawing, I've decided to fix this once and for all... The oil leak got worse and worse and now it's smoking pretty badly. I need to get this fixed as I'm considering selling it and I don't want to have a smoking car for sale!

I have access to a cherry picker, but I'm not sure if I want to go this route myself. Does anyone have a recommendation for a local Subaru shop (local to the Greenville, SC or Charlotte, NC area) that won't kill me on labor costs?
Old 07-01-2012, 10:08 AM

Registered SVX

The engine is quite easy to pull as is just about any Subaru if you have a fair amount of mechanical experience. I'd also suggest buying the updated rear separator plate and new style screws in case that is leaking as well.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:57 PM

Are there any write-ups on this? I'd love to do this, but I'm just not sure if I can spare an entire weekend of work that will inevitably run into multiple weekends of work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
The engine is quite easy to pull as is just about any Subaru if you have a fair amount of mechanical experience. I'd also suggest buying the updated rear separator plate and new style screws in case that is leaking as well.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:43 PM

I agree that Subaru engines are ridiculously easy to pull. I've never done an EG33 but I've done several EJ22's and EJ25's which are practically identical, just a little lighter. I think it usually took me about 3 hours to completely pull one. I've dropped a couple of Subaru AWD trannys too and I'd have to say pulling the engine is easier unless you have access to a car lift.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner