Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-26-2011, 05:19 PM

Changing coil packs....

I'm swapping out the coils on a 92 SVX and I have the passenger side figured out & done after removing the airbox and shoving the air intake tube to the side, but how do you get to the clips on the driver's side released and then freed from brace they're attached to? I can barely see them but am a bit reluctant to just start disconnecting things that are right above them and in the way. Special tools, tips & etc?

thanks! john
Old 02-26-2011, 09:46 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Re: Changing coil packs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat Seeker WS6 View Post
I'm swapping out the coils on a 92 SVX and I have the passenger side figured out & done after removing the airbox and shoving the air intake tube to the side, but how do you get to the clips on the driver's side released and then freed from brace they're attached to? I can barely see them but am a bit reluctant to just start disconnecting things that are right above them and in the way. Special tools, tips & etc?

thanks! john
Use a small flat-head screw driver and start prying. They'll come off eventually. There's nothing really fancy about it. You just need to make sure that you either need to push up on the tab or push down on it (I don't recall which).
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 03-01-2011, 03:55 PM

Re: Changing coil packs....

Thanks and yeah that seems to be all it is and got the top (gray) on drivers unplugged and off its bracket, but the other 2 below it wont budge at all and I know I'm getting the release tab between it and the metal bracket, but the damn thing still wont budge. In retrospect, the passenger side connectors were quite easy to get off their bracket and separated. Heck, Im now able to pretty much grasp those 2 remaining plugs and they wont give.... do these things somehow 'seize' to the bracket? I also notice I have next to no slack of wire that feeds into the 'car-side' of the connector- would this not allow the connector to slide off of the bracket?
These coils are fairly new and are coming off of a '94 because it has a bad trans and will be stored for a little while. The coils are then going on a '92 that is running rough. Now this is nearing the annoyance level of changing my LT1's optispark.