Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security

Old 10-17-2010, 05:04 PM

Tweeters

I've upgraded my stock system with new speakers, sub and an amp, and also want to replace the front tweeters. I'm looking for something that will fit with little to no modification and produce good highs. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:21 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Tweeters

Infinity Kappa Perfects come with tweeters that fit...but it is not worth the money unless you want to change the door speakers as well.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 10-18-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Infinity Kappa Perfects come with tweeters that fit...but it is not worth the money unless you want to change the door speakers as well.
I've got door speakers; just looking for the tweeters.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:26 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/db/index.php?s=db1001

They are significantly cheaper on amazon.com.

These appear to be similar to the ones that came in my car. Mine are branded as Polk/MOMO, but they look almost the same and I'm willing to bet they're as good. I don't know what all you'd need exactly to hook them up, however. Typically one buys front speakers as a set of door speakers and tweeters which come with a passive crossover. You may just be able to attach them in place of the stock ones. Still have the stock head unit?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemgee View Post
I've got door speakers; just looking for the tweeters.
If your door speakers already have tweeters then you may consider trading up to a set of "component" speakers that have no tweeter in the middle and a crossover to send the highs to the dash and lows to the door. Otherwise, if I'm reading you right, you'll have the same signal going to both speakers resulting in overly heavy highs with a lot of distortion coming from the overloaded tweeters in the dash.

Basically you want to upgrade door and dash together to keep things balanced and the respective frequencies going where they belong. My Infinity Reference set cost about 2/3 what the Kappas will run you, but you get what you pay for.

FWIW, I broke my tweeter trim trying to take out the stock ones. The new ones came with a couple options for trim and luckily one fit like a glove. They stick out of the dash quite a bit, so there goes my attempt to keep it "stock looking" but they don't look out of place.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.