Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security

Old 01-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Complete radio removal/ replacement with Ipod jack

So basically what I am wanting to do is completely remove my head unit so I can put my gauges in the double din. Then I want to find a way to splice the speaker wires together and form a connection with a MP3 jack. That way I can just grab the Ipod, plug it in and have that in effect be my 'head unit'... Possible?
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Complete radio removal/ replacement with Ipod jack

lol, interesting thought. It's probably doable, but the audio signal from an iPod is nowhere near strong enough to drive speakers by itself, you'd need to amplify it somehow. What about mounting a single DINN deck in the center console, pointed upward? I don't know if the console is deep enough, but all you'd have to do is extend the wiring.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 01-14-2010, 08:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

I was going to go sans radio and just enjoy the sound of the exhaust...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 01-14-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
I was going to go sans radio and just enjoy the sound of the exhaust...
You would need an amplifier. An iPod/iPhone, or even a little tiny iPod Shuffle can provide the signal input... but only loud enough for headphones.

A 4 channel amplifier with a direct line in, and a remote volume/gain control so that you can mount the amp, and have the volume control on the console or something... should theoretically work.

Even the new iPod Nanos and other brands have FM tuners in them.

There are various kits that will have a dock connector plug for the iPod, and then break out for power to charge the iPod, and line output for audio from the iPod into a head unit... either 1/8th inch headphone style aux jack, or a pair of RCA jacks, which is more likely what an amplifier will accept.

There is no real difference between going into a head unit that has a source switcher, and going directly into an amplifier, if you really only want to EVER use one source. the head unit, other than it's internal amplifiers, is basically just a selection of data/signal sources, like FM or AM tuners, CD or DVD drive, Aux input, or Bluetooth wireless audio, or satelite radio subscription, etc... and a switch between them to send one at a time through the amp circuits to the speakers.

Just about the simplest setup would be to mount a 4-channel amp somewhere, running to the door/dash component speakers, and the rear deck speakers... with an iPod connection kit hooked to the input, and a remote rotary volume knob, perhaps with a push-click on-off toggle switch to turn the amp off if you aren't using it. although it probably wouldn't drastically hurt to just have it powered by the accessory position of the ignition key switch, without another specific power switch between that circuit power, and the amp itself.

I would get an amp that has balancing capabilities between the four channels of output, to that you can set the balance and fade to sound good from the driver/passenger seat. but once that is properly set, you probably don't even need to mess with it much after that.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

You could try connecting the iPod's output directly to the front speakers (I wouldn't even bother trying to drive all 4), but as Crazy_pilot said, the levels will be weak -- probably so low that it would only be audible when there was no other road or engine (or exhaust) noise.

At a minimum, you really want a small 2- or 4-channel amp. One with individual input level controls would allow you to balance the channels (left/right & front/rear). Hopefully, the iPod's volume control will give you a sufficient range in conjunction with the amp. However, you might find that when you adjust the amp loud enough to make you happy, then when you turn the iPod all the way down the speakers may not go completely quiet.

A small enough amp could be powered from the radio harness (so you wouldn't need to go through the extra hassle of running a wire to the battery).

If you can find a micro-sized amp and your gauges are shallow enough, you should be able to tuck the amp in the radio space behind the gauges. I just did a brief search, and most of the amps I saw were too large to fit there -- they would have to go under one of the front seats. Here's one that's small enough: Mitzu MIT-75AZ. Claims to be 250W x 2, but I'm dubious. At least you know this size exists, but I suggest searching for more to compare.

You could gut the ashtray to mount a 3.5mm jack there. It might even open up enough room to store your iPod there.

ADDED: Looks like BoxerFanatic beat me to it.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:24 PM

Sweet... Im going to try it...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 01-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

There's a HowTo for this very thing on Jalopnik:

Jalopnik

I love the beater Toyota that gets it too.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:35 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX

Just splice a headphone jack into the CD player input jack. There is a pinout of it here somewhere. If I didn't want to keep my cd player I would have done that.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 01-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

My friend did something similar for a few years when he was living in Milwaukee and had a competition quality system before removing the HU and going this route. This way it looked like the HU had already been jacked... He had a 2 amp system, one for components up front and one for the subs. He had a headphone to RCA converter that he plugged into his ipod and run back to the amps for the input, and then had the "remote line" hooked up to the ignition power wire so that when the car was on, the amps turned on. It didn't sound as perfect as when the deck was in but was still better than 99% of your systems out there. It really isn't hard to do at all