Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-28-2009, 02:47 AM

Leaking Transmission, Replacement?

So I thought I'd change the title of my thread as the focus shifted a little. Basically, my transmission or torque converter or something else was making an unexplained scraping noise. Then my transmission stated slipping; its seemed like a clutch going out in a manual transmission, but I'm not sure how that translates to autos... Then my transmission started leaking lots of fluid.

Here's what I found:
(note:The car was turned on a second before the video starts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js2HqPNXh-k

So maybe the TC is bad, or the seal is bad (only 6 bucks), or maybe something else. So either way, I'm taking out the tranny out

So I think my options are:

1) Take the car to a transmission shop, have them charge me way too much, but eventually figure it out.

2) Replace the seal and TC and hope everything works

3) I found a 2002 wrx auto with 80K for sale. I could swap it in and hope for the best. Is this tranny compatible?

4) Manual swap. Honestly I hate autos, but don't have the funds for the swap, so this really isn't an option

Some additional, potentially helpful info:

I replaced my transmission this summer with a 4.11. The only thing that wasn't working correctly when I installed the transmission was when I downshifted from drive to 3rd, the transmission wouldn't go into 3rd. It would drop the rpms to ~ 1000ish and start coasting, then jump into 3rd, then start coasting, then jump into 3rd, etc. So if I didn't downshift to 3rd, everything worked very smoothly.... Until now

So if anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or things to check i'd appreciate it

Last edited by ScottyB; 11-29-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:49 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Leaking Transmission, Replacement?

After some searching to satisfy my own curiosity, I think swapping a post-1998 automatic transmission is not something for the faint-hearted. From what I gathered, it will work, you change the transmission and the necessary parts of the rear differential like the other swaps. The difference is that the svx tcu isn't compatible with the newer autos, to the point that they use different plugs with different amounts of wires. So, with the additional cost of the tcu and the major pain in the ass of rewiring the tcu to work, you're not saving as much over a manual swap. I don't think anyone's bothered to try swapping a newer auto for this reason. The closest thing would be swapping a vtd-type svx transmission, which I don't believe worked very well, due to them not switching the TCU. I'm also not completely sure that the bolt pattern of the newer autos is exactly the same.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
After some searching to satisfy my own curiosity, I think swapping a post-1998 automatic transmission is not something for the faint-hearted. From what I gathered, it will work, you change the transmission and the necessary parts of the rear differential like the other swaps. The difference is that the svx tcu isn't compatible with the newer autos, to the point that they use different plugs with different amounts of wires. So, with the additional cost of the tcu and the major pain in the ass of rewiring the tcu to work, you're not saving as much over a manual swap. I don't think anyone's bothered to try swapping a newer auto for this reason. The closest thing would be swapping a vtd-type svx transmission, which I don't believe worked very well, due to them not switching the TCU. I'm also not completely sure that the bolt pattern of the newer autos is exactly the same.
Huh, that's unfortunate. I kind of figured it would be like that though. I was thinking that this wrx tranny would be perfect because the wrx makes about the same hp as the svx so all the internals and torque converter would be better suited to handle the power and torque of the svx. But I figured it would be to good to be true. Thanks for the info

I guess I'm going to go to a local shop and see what they have to say. This is my DD so, I really need it to be in working order asap
Old 11-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Noticed you've got 4.11 gears...unfortunately, the Subie 4.11 4HEAT ATs do not have as many friction plates as the stock 3.54 SVX 4HEAT AT and have a history of failure when put in SVXi...
Recommendation would be to go back to the stock SVX 4HEAT or go with a 4.44 set up (will obviously require new gears in the rear diff). Lots of folks successfully running around with the 4.44 set up. The only tricky part is getting the rear diff set up correctly (backlash, etc.).
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-28-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Noticed you've got 4.11 gears...unfortunately, the Subie 4.11 4HEAT ATs do not have as many friction plates as the stock 3.54 SVX 4HEAT AT and have a history of failure when put in SVXi...
Recommendation would be to go back to the stock SVX 4HEAT or go with a 4.44 set up (will obviously require new gears in the rear diff). Lots of folks successfully running around with the 4.44 set up. The only tricky part is getting the rear diff set up correctly (backlash, etc.).
-Bill
Yeah, I regret not getting the 4.44. I read on another thread while I was looking for a donor transmission that legacys had the 4.44, but I figured out that was incorrect after I had already bought my 4.11. It's the 2.5 GT and outbacks that have the 4.44.... Now I know.

I think I'll take your suggestion about installing a 4.44 this time. I really just need my svx to be reliable now. Might as well make it faster around town.

As for the rear diff, how do you set it up correctly? And what happens if it's not done right?
Old 11-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Setting up the rear diff is only necessary if you want to retain the stock rear diff's LSD. Not really any different than how you'd set up any other rear diff. If you're not concerned about having a LSD rear diff (the stock 3.54 SVX rear diff is a viscous LSD --- borderline LSD as soon as it heats up ), then you should be able to use any subie R160 4.44 rear diff as long as it accepts the SVX's axles. Check with TOMSSVX or SVXFiles.

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 11-28-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Setting up the rear diff is only necessary if you want to retain the stock rear diff's LSD. Not really any different than how you'd set up any other rear diff. If you're not concerned about having a LSD rear diff (the stock 3.54 SVX rear diff is a viscous LSD --- borderline LSD as soon as it heats up ), then you should be able to use any subie R160 4.44 rear diff as long as it accepts the SVX's axles. Check with TOMSSVX or SVXFiles.

-Bill
Well I did replace the open diff with the LSD when I did the swap this summer. I just remember there was a part in OT's write-up when he said you could 'pattern the gears' or 'just put the diff back in'... I just put the diff back in. I guess I wanted a little clarification of what it means to 'pattern the gears' and if it was necessary because I want to make this new tranny last as long as I possibly can
Old 11-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
Well I did replace the open diff with the LSD when I did the swap this summer. I just remember there was a part in OT's write-up when he said you could 'pattern the gears' or 'just put the diff back in'... I just put the diff back in. I guess I wanted a little clarification of what it means to 'pattern the gears' and if it was necessary because I want to make this new tranny last as long as I possibly can
Plenty of sources out on the web .... http://www.thedirtforum.com/differential.htm

you're looking for make sure the ring and pinion make correct contact (face-to-face) . If your differential hasn't been making any noises (howling, etc.), then you can use it as an example of a correctly set up ring and pinion.

-Bill

My Locker
Old 11-28-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Plenty of sources out on the web .... http://www.thedirtforum.com/differential.htm

you're looking for make sure the ring and pinion make correct contact (face-to-face) . If your differential hasn't been making any noises (howling, etc.), then you can use it as an example of a correctly set up ring and pinion.

-Bill
Thanks, I appreciate it
Old 11-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

Hello Scotty,

I got a page asking me to log into a site I am not a member of when I tried to view the picture you posted so I haven't seen whatever you were showing. Without seeing I would guess that the fluid is coming from the vent on the top of the transmission. When these transmissions have a lot of fluid in them they overheat, the fluid expands, and it pours right out the vent. Your slipping clutches would make a lot of heat to contribute to that too.

You might want to consider one of my partial rebuilds. It's a little bit more money than a used transmission. It's a lot better transmission than a used transmission.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
Hello Scotty,

I got a page asking me to log into a site I am not a member of when I tried to view the picture you posted so I haven't seen whatever you were showing. Without seeing I would guess that the fluid is coming from the vent on the top of the transmission. When these transmissions have a lot of fluid in them they overheat, the fluid expands, and it pours right out the vent. Your slipping clutches would make a lot of heat to contribute to that too.

You might want to consider one of my partial rebuilds. It's a little bit more money than a used transmission. It's a lot better transmission than a used transmission.
I edited the first post so the link goes to youtube so everyone can see it. I didn't know photobucket would only let users see it...

The transmission had 39K on it when I got it so it was pretty new. I guess it was too weak though, even at that low of a mileage. I would definitely consider your partial rebuild because I've only heard good things, but I the shipping probably wouldn't be cheap from Colorado to Florida and back again.

Since you are one of the transmission experts around here, I was wondering if you could tell me what I should check when I get the tranny out. Like what how to see if the TC is bad or if it's just a seal or if the tranny is toast, etc. I think it's a little more serious than the seal because this happened all of the sudden, and the transmission has such low mileage.

I'm not a mechanic, but I am mechanically inclined (resealed the engine, already did the transmission swap once). I wanted to see if you think it's possible to maybe rebuild the transmission myself, or if it's a more specialized, 'you have to have all the right tools' kind of job.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Just some dude.

I couldn't tell if that was coming from inside the bellhousing or running down the bellhousing but I assume you could and that you think it's coming from inside the bellhousing.

The only way atf could get in there is if the torque converter is cracked or it's getting past the big seal pressed into the transmission(differential actually). Either way I don't think you'll have difficulty visually finding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
I edited the first post so the link goes to youtube so everyone can see it. I didn't know photobucket would only let users see it...

The transmission had 39K on it when I got it so it was pretty new. I guess it was too weak though, even at that low of a mileage. I would definitely consider your partial rebuild because I've only heard good things, but I the shipping probably wouldn't be cheap from Colorado to Florida and back again.

Since you are one of the transmission experts around here, I was wondering if you could tell me what I should check when I get the tranny out. Like what how to see if the TC is bad or if it's just a seal or if the tranny is toast, etc. I think it's a little more serious than the seal because this happened all of the sudden, and the transmission has such low mileage.

I'm not a mechanic, but I am mechanically inclined (resealed the engine, already did the transmission swap once). I wanted to see if you think it's possible to maybe rebuild the transmission myself, or if it's a more specialized, 'you have to have all the right tools' kind of job.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Just some dude.

Sorry, didn't mean to ignore the last question. It takes a lot of tools to do it and a lot more to do it right.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:06 AM

Alright, that sounds good. I'll put up pictures as soon as I have it out.

And I kind of figured it would be a difficult job seeing as no repair manual has any information on how to rebuild the transmission. Thanks for your help
Old 11-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Just some dude.

Good luck, here's hoping it's just the front seal!