How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2009, 08:06 AM

Windshield replace

Silver 92, cracked windshield. Have a black 92 parts car available with good windshield. Are they the same tint? What is involved in changing them out and do I need any new parts (gasket?) and is anyone in the Pittsburgh area experienced in doing a windshield changeout? I have a black 92 parts car, no engine or ecu, bad transaxle, but lots of good stuff. would be willing to give some parts in exchange for help. Thanks
Old 10-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Windshield replace

All of the 1992 colors had the same blue-gray tint.

EXCEPT the Claret, which had the bronze tint.

The rubber moulding around the windshield is bonded to the window during manufacture and is not available separately. You may find the rubber to be brittle after 17 years and start to crumble when you try to take out the windshield.

Ckeck with Tom Krynock "svxfiles" to see what additional info he can give you. He's in Wiley Ford, WV, about 120 miles from you.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 10-23-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:03 PM

Registered SVX

Really? all 92's were blue-gray? So would a black 92 have the same glass color as a Polo Green 96?
1992 Ebony SVX LS-L - 193k (parts)
Old 10-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXalter View Post
Really? all 92's were blue-gray? So would a black 92 have the same glass color as a Polo Green 96?
Yes, IF the 96 Polo Green was an L model which had gray interior. If it was the LSi with beige leather, the windshield would be bronze.

In general, the cars with the beige interior (leather or velour) had the bronze glass. The cars with gray interior (leather or velour) had the blue gray glass.

The only exception was the 1992 claret (which had gray ecsaine or leather) and bronze glass.

For colors by year and interior colors, click HERE

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 10-27-2009, 12:04 AM

Registered SVX

Wow that is awesome information. I was under the assumption my parts car had different colored glass than my DD. The windows are tinted and I had heard from various people that it had the bronze glass tint. Guess I will have to take the tint off if I ever need any glass. Do you know anything about windshield repair for just a very small flaw/chip? I've hear of some places guaranteeing it and it might be worth it to preserve the windshield on my parts car.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:40 AM

I would definitely have chip repair on your windshield of your parts car to preserve it, in case you need it. I have had several chip repairs and so far they have all worked, as long as the chips are not too large.

(I had a few chip repairs on my SVX windshield that were fine, then I got a HUGE hit that sounded like a gunshot last month and it immediately cracked my windshield, so now I am about to get new glass installed.) My Forester also has numberous chip repairs that so far have held up. I get rock chips on both my cars on the same stretch of interstate on my way to work. It is really p****** me off! Unfortunately it is the only fast way for me to get to work, so I have to drive it!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:10 AM

Registered SVX

Thanks for the info! Would that change how easy/(difficult) it would be to remove the windshield from my parts car? Also how much has the chip repair cost you in the past?
Old 10-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
All of the 1992 colors had the same blue-gray tint.

EXCEPT the Claret, which had the bronze tint.

The rubber moulding around the windshield is bonded to the window during manufacture and is not available separately. You may find the rubber to be brittle after 17 years and start to crumble when you try to take out the windshield.

Ckeck with Tom Krynock "svxfiles" to see what additional info he can give you. He's in Wiley Ford, WV, about 120 miles from you.

Hey John, thanks, that's wonderful information.

It's different in England, and possibly different again on the Continent or in Australia, but in general I find you are right, the windows tint is dictated to a large extent by the colour of the interior, as much as matching the bodywork colour.

In the UK RHD market all Clarets have the extremely dark ["blacker than a black steer's tukas on a moonless night"] black leather interior, and they are all supplied with the bronze glass which is not my favourite. Silver 92 cars, again hyperblack interiors, have the blue tint glass, as do the silver JDM cars. Ebony black UK cars also come with bronze glass, which my '93 Black Betty has, and I don't really like it.

The '91 JDM Claret car I used to have, it had purple ecsaine and faux leather seats, and it came supplied with a deeper tint dark green glass that I found very attractive. I have not seen green glass supplied to any market other than Japan, for some reason.

SVXalter, do PM Tom SVXfiles and he will tell you the procedure for removing the screen. They are bonded in, so I expect they use piano wire to cut the screen away from the bond, and you'll probably have to buy new rubbers.

If your screen chip is not too bad, have the glass guys effect a repair on yours before you head for SEMA. The repair bonds it and should stop the crack from spreading should you put it under stress on your long journey.

Enjoy your trip!

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-29-2009, 07:55 PM

Warning post hijack.......this is windshield related, my GPS's seem to have a terrible time keeping a sat lock anytime I stop moving in my SVX, they are also not very accurate while moving anyone else having a problem? if I hold it out the window its fine, no its not the GPS as it works just fine outside the car or in any other Subaru I drive, just wondering.................G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:09 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbianchi View Post
Warning post hijack.......this is windshield related, my GPS's seem to have a terrible time keeping a sat lock anytime I stop moving in my SVX, they are also not very accurate while moving anyone else having a problem? if I hold it out the window its fine, no its not the GPS as it works just fine outside the car or in any other Subaru I drive, just wondering.................G
Titanium Oxide coating on all OEM SVX windshields. Only a few GPS units will work without problems.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:24 AM

All my chip repairs have been free- my insurance company will pay for all chip repairs. I just call them and the auto glass co comes out to where I work and does it in the parking lot.
Ins company figures it is cheaper to do this than replace whole windshield. If any of the chip repairs dont work and I need a new windshield, then my insurance deductible kicks in .

If you don't carry comprehensive insurance on your car, I am not sure how much the chip repairs are. (You might be able to negotiate that a bit if you have multiple chips)
Old 10-31-2009, 06:07 PM

I paid Torgy's winsheild repair 59.00 (no comprehensive) to fix three spots on my windsheid in my driveway, very reasonable after finding out how much the windsheild cost to replace......G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:05 PM

I believe i have found a source for aftermarket windshields at $400 a piece. Thoughts??
Old 11-02-2009, 05:31 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbianchi View Post
I had the same problem. I now have 2 units that work. Tom Tom and Garmin Nuvi
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 11-02-2009, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by simboglide View Post
I believe i have found a source for aftermarket windshields at $400 a piece. Thoughts??
There are sources out there for aftermarket windshields, but the problem is that they are for the glass only.

The OEM windshields have the rubber molding bonded to them and the moldings are not available separately. This leaves you with the difficult of trying to separate the molding from the damaged windshield. Not a very easy task as they become brittle and deteriorate with age,

Read more HERE, starting at post #7.