Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-29-2009, 06:58 PM

A few questions about my new SVX...

So I finally picked my car up today. I put a down payment on it two weeks ago, and since I was paying cash for it they kept it until I paid it off today. Its a 92 LS-L, Black Pearl, 140K miles but still running like its brand new from what I can see so far. Needless to say I've been one happy camper most of the day

Anywho, this is my first SVX (but not my first Subaru) and having had a chance to look over everything a little better I'm left wondering about a few things.

The first thing I looked for when I got home was any evidence of an aftermarket tranny filter. While I wasn't able to get far enough under the car to spot one, I did notice that it does have a smaller front mounted cooler that sits in front of the lower half of the radiator. In all of my reading here I've seen a lot of information about transmission filters and aftermarket coolers, but I didn't see anything about factory coolers. Were these built with stock transmission coolers? (And bear with me if this is a stupid question, believe it or not this is the first auto transmission vehicle I've EVER owned.)

And secondly, did Subaru offer a factory engine block heater in these cars, or was mine added on?

I can't wait to drive to work tomorrow... Though in reality I wish I could just blow off work and drive across the country instead I'll post some pictures once I have a chance to get some good shots.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: A few questions about my new SVX...

What youre seeing may just be the condenser for the A/C, 92's cool the trans fluid in the radiator. Could have an external trans cooler though, you'll have to see where the lines go. If you have the campaign filter, it will be on the driver side right next to your thermostat housing, and you will see the lines going to the radiator and transmission (looks like a fuel filter). A good quick FAQ to familiarize you with your new SVX can be read on the bottom of my signature (between the ninjas). Congratulations and I hope you enjoy it thoroughly!!

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:57 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

I second checking the line routing. It may be an aftermarket cooler.

Also, the block heater is an OEM accessory. Hold onto that one.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
A good quick FAQ to familiarize you with your new SVX can be read on the bottom of my signature (between the ninjas).
Bookmarked
Old 01-29-2009, 08:17 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeJaye View Post
Bookmarked
Keep in mind that while the FAQ is newer than every SVX ever made, it's still like 8 years old. Some of the info in there has been superceeded by new stuff the innovative folks in the SVX community have come up with that hasn't gotten into the FAQ.

But it is a great starting place.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Keep in mind that while the FAQ is newer than every SVX ever made, it's still like 8 years old. Some of the info in there has been superceeded by new stuff the innovative folks in the SVX community have come up with that hasn't gotten into the FAQ.

But it is a great starting place.

Indeed...... Its sometimes needle in a haystack going back over the thousands of threads here, but if you need to know ANYTHING about the SVX, its here. And dont be afraid to ask questions, whether or not they may be already common knowledge (see my own painful "duuuh OHHHH okay" thread titled "Is this an external trans filter")

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:17 PM

That's one reason I love this forum. I don't have to put on the proverbial flame suit when I ask a question.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-30-2009, 03:48 PM

So I feel like an idiot. The thing that I thought was an aftermarket tranny cooler is in fact the AC condenser. Oops... So it looks like I'll be adding a tranny cooler and filter as soon as I can afford it.

Having had another day to drive it, I'm noticing that it seems like the front suspension is rattling/knocking when I hit bumps. The steering also seems a tad bit loose and has a slight tendency to wander on me. I don't get any pull when braking, but if I let go of the wheel it goes straight for a bit and then starts pulling to the right slightly. I read somewhere that there was a known problem with the strut mounts on the 92's, does anyone know anything about this or anything else it could potentially be?

Also had a really nasty squeal when I was coming to a stop. They put new brakes on it before they sold it, but I pulled the pads out and put some anti squeal brake goo on the backs of the pads and have almost eliminated the noise. Am curious though whether or not the pads are supposed to have anti rattle plates on the back, as every other Subaru I've owned used them and my SVX does not have them.

Aside from that the only other issue I found was that the sunroof didn't want to open up all the way, and was able to fix that problem easily with the help of another thread on here.

I truly love this car
Old 01-30-2009, 04:12 PM

The anti-squeel plates are usually pad specific. I've had some that came with them, and some that just have an anti-squeel sticker on them, and some with nothing. And even some that came with the sticker in the box but not already on the pads. It's possible that whoever installed the brakes just tossed the plates or stickers, or they could be as-designed.

Keep in mind that if the pads are brand new, they're going to be noisey while they bed in anyway.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeJaye View Post
So I feel like an idiot. ..........I'm noticing that it seems like the front suspension is rattling/knocking when I hit bumps.
I truly love this car
First.....We all have!!! LOL!!
2nd......Possible balljoints (wear item at this mileage) or front swaybar bushings(usually eaten up by the constant presence of oil leaking from the valve-covers.
3rd.......You may have figured out you're not alone.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 01-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

The SVX has metal shims for each wheel, 3 per caliper. someone probably just tossed yours.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 01-30-2009, 05:06 PM

One more thing. I've seen a few threads about it but they're a little bit old so I thought I'd bring it up again. Since my current speaker box won't fit in the trunk and I'd like to retain use of my spare tire, is anyone out there still making sub enclosures for the SVX, and could I fit a 12" in it?
Old 01-30-2009, 05:19 PM

Registered SVX

The only one I know of that is custom for our cars is about $700.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 01-30-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
The only one I know of that is custom for our cars is about $700.
I bet with a jigsaw, glue, nails, and $40 worth of fiberboard & fabric, anyone could make a replica of that $700 box. I'd do it for him ...and for the discount price of only $600!
Old 01-30-2009, 06:28 PM

Registered SVX

Yea, $700 bucks is way to much for a sub box.
Past subies:

98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress