SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
The unit probably only logs each indicated speed after a series of readings as a sort of self-check. I think he means 3 "zaps" are required to be logged and then averaged which again helps to deter error.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:46 PM

Registered SVX
Re: RADAR in California

if you do try and fight it make sure you have good facts and don't be afraid to speak up.
watch on tru tv speeders fight back and see what not to do. LOL
Old 01-20-2009, 04:07 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Sorry was in a bit of a hurry. Let me explain using somewhat proper English. I was pulled over for doing 64 in a 45 last year. I decided against paying the hefty fine and contacted a lawyer. The lawyer took care of all the legal aspects and got it reduced to improper equipment. The total cost was about 300 dollars for the lawyer which took care of any fees in court. I suggest just contacting a lawyer and not having a speeding ticket on your record.

Is the make you happy now?

ROFL, actually.

Just kidding with you man.

When you brain-dump in a hurry it probably makes sense at your end, but then, you already knew what you were trying to say, didn't you?

At the reader end if it does not make sense then the message has to be read over a few times to see or guess what the post was about.

This defeats the purpose of the communication, which is generally to inform the readership, rather than to confuse.

Too much hurry at your end = hard to understand for the reader.

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-20-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
The cops lie! They all do.
I'm not a cop, but this is patently ridiculous statement, as is the notion that "most cops are crooked."

Reality check: If you really feel the need to "protect" yourself with detection equipment from traffic police, you probably need to take a good, hard look at how you drive.

dcb
Old 01-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
ROFL, actually.

Just kidding with you man.

When you brain-dump in a hurry it probably makes sense at your end, but then, you already knew what you were trying to say, didn't you?

At the reader end if it does not make sense then the message has to be read over a few times to see or guess what the post was about.

This defeats the purpose of the communication, which is generally to inform the readership, rather than to confuse.

Too much hurry at your end = hard to understand for the reader.

Right as usual ;D. It made complete sense in my head , I just don't get why no one else got it

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 01-20-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
I'm not a cop, but this is patently ridiculous statement, as is the notion that "most cops are crooked."

Reality check: If you really feel the need to "protect" yourself with detection equipment from traffic police, you probably need to take a good, hard look at how you drive.

dcb
I would trust a cop about as far as I trust Obama.

I didn't say that most cops are crooked. Read back...

If you were a cop, you would really know that what I said is true.

I did the reality check and this is what I came up with:
Driving in a 45 mph zone a sign I encountered a sign that said speed reduced ahead to 30 mph. Between the first sign and the 30 mph sign I was zapped with radar going 40 mph.and the lights came on behind me. I stopped my car before I got as far as the 30 mph sign. I was written up for going 40 in a 30. The ticket showed the correct location. I pleaded not guilty, but first I took several pictures of the location… coming and going. I drive that road sometimes several times a week and low and behold one day my favorite sign was gone… The one that says “speed reduced.”. I contacted the court and complained. From the police chief down everyone swore that the sign was not replaced and had been like that for years. We went to a hearing. (Of course I had to get a lawyer).

The officer naturally swore that the sign had been there, just like it was, since creation. I showed the pictures and the police chief said there had not been a sign change. The chief said there was no way to know when I took the pictures. I asked who is able to have speed signs installed, the chief assured me that he was the only one that does that.

I asked the chief if he would be willing to check the work orders for that period of time and he brought in a person that had the information. The sign HAD been changed and the work order had been signed by…
of all people… the crooked lying cop. This of course was between the time that I pleaded not guilty and the court date. At that time I was using a radar detector.

Every year I drive between 40,000 and 50,000 miles and have gotten ONE speeding ticket in the last 8 years. That is about one ticket per 400,000 miles The crooked patrolman lied about that. He said that I was caught by “lazar radar” back at the overpass going 76 mph. Turns out that on the citation it said I was timed by aircraft. He knew there was no defense against “Lazar Radar, but there is against aircraft. The printing from his onboard computer was so small I had to get a magnifying glass to read it. He probably thought I would never read it.

I have not used radar detectors in that period of time, basically because the cops can tell if you are using it and will stop you and give you a ticket just because you have a radar detector.

I seriously doubt that anyone on this form stays within the speed limit. I don't always, but for school zones and other places that could be unsafe for others I am more than careful. Even being careful I do have a shared responsibility for an accident. Dark rainy night on a parking lot I backed into another car that was backing at the same time. That is the total with a lifetime of driving about 3,000,000 miles. Like I always say, I pray a lot.

Keith
Old 01-20-2009, 09:20 PM

<<I have not used radar detectors in that period of time, basically because the cops can tell if you are using it and will stop you and give you a ticket just because you have a radar detector. >>

is it illegal to use a radar detector in your state? i know in virginia it is.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxpert View Post
<<I have not used radar detectors in that period of time, basically because the cops can tell if you are using it and will stop you and give you a ticket just because you have a radar detector. >>

is it illegal to use a radar detector in your state? i know in virginia it is.
Not here, yet. They will just give a ticket that they wouldn't give if you didn't have radar detector.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:22 PM

how do you "suspect" they know you have a radar detector? just on when they see it when the approach your car on a stop or do you think they have a computer that tells them?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:26 AM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX

Quote:
The cops lie! They all do.
Bull****. The only times I've ever been stopped for something the cop had a genuine concern.
Drove at night with parking lights on, headlights off (whoops)
Red lights on my washer nozzles
Cut someone off in snow conditions following two large snow moving trucks. Got cited for an "unsafe lane change", cost about $70.
Worst one, 3 month expired tags and illegal tint. Anchorage is crawling with cops everywhere you go and I have yet to see of one or hear a single story of any abuse.

Sounds to me you are just embittered by one experience that you were able to work out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxpert View Post
do you think they have a computer that tells them?
Impossible, unless your detector is transmitting, which it should not be doing. Police are equipped to find radar detectors like they are equipped to find solar powered calculators.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
Bull****. The only times I've ever been stopped for something the cop had a genuine concern.
Drove at night with parking lights on, headlights off (whoops)
Red lights on my washer nozzles
Cut someone off in snow conditions following two large snow moving trucks. Got cited for an "unsafe lane change", cost about $70.
Worst one, 3 month expired tags and illegal tint. Anchorage is crawling with cops everywhere you go and I have yet to see of one or hear a single story of any abuse.

Sounds to me you are just embittered by one experience that you were able to work out.

Impossible, unless your detector is transmitting, which it should not be doing. Police are equipped to find radar detectors like they are equipped to find solar powered calculators.

Gee, you don't even know that they are equipped to detect your radar detecting equipment Wow!

Sounds like you are so frequent a violator that they have no chance to falsely accuse you

Seriously, you might find more sophisticated equipment in some other jurisdictions.

Bull**** back!!!!!!

Keith
Old 01-21-2009, 01:37 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

You guys should be tucked up asleep, after celebrating the Obama inauguration, not sparring about crooked cops.

It's probably fair to say everybody goes over the limit from time to time. That's not the same as saying everybody speeds all the time. I'm sure most are careful like Keith and like me. On my own part I know I observe strong safety concerns in school zones and towns etc, and stay alert at all times.

I've also only got one ticket all my life and I've driven millions of miles. If they were checking more, I'm sure I would have more tickets.

It's also obvious that the patrolman who caught Keith intended nailing the prosecution, just because he wrote it up. Sometimes it's personal with them. They are only human, but being human they can be crooked like this guy. In their job, there is no excuse for perverting the facts.

They are going to start checking for speeding using private contractors here in Ireland soon. They will no doubt use laser, they won't want a margin for error. This system is already in use in England and in the North. It's a disaster. They tend to hand out tickets to fill quotas and get revenue. Justification for renewing their contract. They set up to catch people in zones where traffic speeds up or has failed to slow sufficiently. Big Brother.

When it comes into force I will be buying a detector. I find the traffic police OK, they are focused on safety and I respect that. Contractors are just quota fillers. They are about as useful and as straight as wheel clampers.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-21-2009, 01:46 AM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Gee, you don't even know that they are equipped to detect your radar detecting equipment Wow!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_detector_detector

Unless they have improved upon Spectre III (something I wouldn't know about seeing as I don't read up on radar detection/evasion or own a detector seeing as I don't get caught for speeding.) I don't think there is anything to worry about. So back at you.
--
I took the liberty to dig and it seems the Spectre IV is out.
Anyway, give it time.
--
How much time? Well it took me about to minute to find out there are at least 4 RDs so far that beat the Spectre IV.
--
This space reserved for future edit.

Quote:
Sounds like you are so frequent a violator that they have no chance to falsely accuse you
Accuse me of what? Currently having no tint on my vehicle and up-to-date tags, and turning my lights on all the way? So maybe I cut a guy off once, it's partly his fault for speeding up when I tried to pass him.

Quote:
Seriously, you might find more sophisticated equipment in some other jurisdictions.
Please educate everyone about the sophisticated equipment the crooked cops are using to harass innocent people.

Quote:
Bull**** back!!!!!!
You didn't acknowledge your own ridiculous bias. :/

Last edited by NikFu S.; 01-21-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:50 AM

I got a ticket in Florida years ago, having been timed between painted stripes on the roadway by an aircraft which was in contact with a swarm of motorcycle cops, who no doubt noticed that I was driving a rental before making their play. This was in my radar detector-using days. Helpful, that was.

My then-wife got pulled over once, and the officer laughed at her clumsy attempt to stash the detector that had been mounted on the dash and cheerfully suggested she just to ditch the thing. No ticket. (Of course, she was an officer of the court.)

Just a few months back I got pulled over in a notorious, well-publicized speed trap (stupid me), but it's also a wide, curvy, lightly-traveled stretch where it's almost impossible to avoid taking liberties with the law. I was flying. He could have nailed my wallet to the wall, but waved me along without so much as a written notice.

Yes, there are jurisdictions which enrich their operations with ill-gotten traffic fines. Yes, there are dishonest police officers who will say anything to make a case. But the preponderance of traffic cops are decent folk who are simply trying to do a job on behalf of the general public. So long as law enforcement can employ radar, citizens should have the right to use detectors. Question is, do you really need one?

dcb
Old 01-21-2009, 04:30 PM
The Molinator

(1) Yes... X, K, Ka, Laser (Valentine One with arrows)
(2) I got a lawyer (cops..and esp judges don't like me!)
(3) I'll let you know.. .

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!