SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Coolant Leak Fun

Well I took a fun trip to Carowinds today an amusement park. The trip there was fine about 150 miles. Needless to say I get there and I notice my pass side is covered in something. I assumed it was something from the road gave it no thought. Came to the car to leave and checked the oil and everything just to be sure. We take off onto I-485 to US 74. We get on to 74 and decide to get something to eat. After we order I pull forward (mind you my car was smoking the whole time which I thought was oil leak) I notice my engine temp is almost to red. I immediately cut the car off.

I'm very worried at this point because I'm a good 120 miles from home. I get my food and pull to a parking spot let the car cool some and decide to check the radiator and reserve . I couldnt see any coolant in the reserve. I grab a towel I had and took off the radiator cap (mind you I knew what was going to happen). The coolent spews everywhere. I'm pist at this point and have to walk a few blocks to autozone to get some anti freeze. Well I add about 1/2 of the gallon because it wasnt completely empty as it spewed out. I let it sit some more and then decide to start it up.

At this point the temp is sitting normal and I let it sit idling for 5 mins watching for a change in temp. I'm very worried as I leave to continue the 120 miles left. I made it home and as soon as I pulled up to my house it started smoking again. I have some sort of coolent leak on the pass side which is some how managing to get in the wheel well and spew on my side of my car.

Tomorrow I am going to check to see what I can find but anyone ever had anything happen like this? Or am I special. I am concerned and now I am carrying coolent along with oil and transmission fluid. Also I have never had a problem like this before. Thanks for any advice in advance.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 07-18-2008, 12:30 AM

Re: Coolant Leak Fun

so far too many open ends to the equation. Find the leak and go from there.
Sorry, guitar picker, no idea how to help you

Keith
Old 07-18-2008, 12:46 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

Check the hoses and stuff, make sure all the clamps are tight, check all the places where water hoses connect to things, look for green crusty stuff. Other thing you could do is spray it all off with water, then let it dry, then let it sit and idle until it warms up and look around really carefully for anything leaking.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 07-18-2008, 05:24 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
Check the hoses and stuff, make sure all the clamps are tight, check all the places where water hoses connect to things, look for green crusty stuff. Other thing you could do is spray it all off with water, WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD then let it dry, then let it sit and idle until it warms up and look around really carefully for anything leaking.
Remove and pan test your thermostat.
Get your system pressure tested.
Make sure both fans work.
Check for debris in front of the radiator.
More later.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 07-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Well It is currently raining and I am waiting to it to stop but I'll go ahead and post a list of stuff that is checked. One thing i forgot to mention I when I was driving also this "Highway" had stop lights and suchs which would make the car stop and the needle wouldnt move. It stay put for 2 hours on the way home from that Burger King.
I'm scared somewhat to drive it.

1- Fans : pretty sure they both work last I checked as I was running on one fan for awhile and never had a problem with heating. I Recently replaced it thanks to SVXFiles

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 07-18-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Well It is currently raining and I am waiting to it to stop but I'll go ahead and post a list of stuff that is checked. One thing i forgot to mention I when I was driving also this "Highway" had stop lights and suchs which would make the car stop and the needle wouldnt move. It stay put for 2 hours on the way home from that Burger King.
"needle wouldnt move"
move from what?? from normal??... from redline??,

Thanks,
Keith
Old 07-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
"needle wouldnt move"
move from what?? from normal??... from redline??,

Thanks,
Keith
Sorry Let me clarify it. I meant it stayed in the normal range.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

couple lines come to mind... easiest first

top rad hose... it could have a small split or a pin-hole leak... Needs to be hot to see if you can see it spraying/leaking out

Heater-core lines... These can simply be old and dry-rotted... Check them at the firewall and where they come into the engine... They are about 3/4" heater hose on each side of the back of the engine.

If these are good, check the lines that run to the bottom of the throttle body... These 3/8" hoses are on each side of the throttle body.

Check those and get back to us

Tom

P.S. next time your engine is that hot, it is usually worse to cut the engine than to let it idle for a few minutes as it cools down
Old 07-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Thanks tom and everyone else It is now semi dry out and can climb under the car. I will check all of that I am hoping its just a hose that can be replaced. Have these cars had a tendance to do that? I'll report back in just a bit First I'll see if I can visable see coolent spots. Thanks agian all ! About letting it idle that was the problem it was idleing and temp was climbing I thought best not to let it reach The Red zone but I'll attempt that next time

Old 07-18-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Sorry Let me clarify it. I meant it stayed in the normal range.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

O.k got under the car and didnt see a coolant leak. I did see a trans line leaking which would explain my trans leaking . I am going to go ahead and replace that. I am not sure if it is really leaking at this point what I thought was Coolant spreading on the side of my car but after examining the wheel seems to be oil. from front of car cam seals? but Could it be my Temp gauge is messing up? What other clues could be of an over heating car?

Old 07-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

The fact that your reservoir was empty is a pretty good indicator that you're losing coolant somewhere.

I just had to replace the rad on my Legacy, it would only leak coolant when pushed hard...

Take a few gallons of water with you and drive the car hard, climbing hills with the AC on. Watch the needle very closely. When it starts climbing you know the leak has shown itself, get out immediately and look and listen for steam escaping.

Let it cool for 15 minutes or so, then add water and go home.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

o.k I found the problem I believe...
The attachted pictures I believe explain my problem.. The radiator is again splitting. First Picture has a crack as long as that red line its the bigger of the 2. and the 2nd image is one of about a pin size hole I actually had coolant coming out of. Seems I need another Radiator again...

Any suggestions on a another Radiator? I need a replacement maybe if anyone has a decent one around let me know please
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4311.JPG (796.7 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4313.JPG (712.1 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Wikedjuggalo; 07-18-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:57 PM

ebay>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...spagenameZWDVW

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...spagenameZWDVW

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 07-18-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

O.k I have found the top is cracking again for sure (see pics sorry for unclear) I know a new radiator is in order. I being a worrisome person went about to see if I had a blown head gasket. I haven't seen it over flowing and there were not any bubbles form what I could see in the Coolant over flow tanks. The lines were not rock hard (pressurized) soon after running and even at/ after running at normal temp. I have found a substantial transmission line leak. I hope a new radiator will solve my problems I am not too sure about how much coolant I actually lost or was loosing. Thanks again everyone for posting and helping. Soon I will be ordering a new radiator (Hopefully PWR) and new lines for transmission. Again I hope it solves my problems.