Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-06-2008, 04:31 PM

stalling issue unresolved by dealer so far

I took my car into the dealership yesterday for the intermittent stalling problem I have had the last few days and asked them to check the codes and focus on the MAF sensor or anything else they could find... (I posted previous thread about 3 days ago describing my stalling issue) This afternoon they told me they couldn't get the car to stall on them and it wasn't showing any codes. I faxed over to them the "how to" document from the forum on how to clean the MAF, they said they would look at it and perhaps try to clean it for me. I am frustrated that they were not able to find the problem. I am happy they aren't trying to sell me a part I don't need, but also afraid to drive the car much when it stalls.

any suggestions? I am not sure exactly what I am asking, but wouldnt a dirty or bad MAF code show up? Now I am wondering if it isn't the fuel.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:15 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
I took my car into the dealership yesterday for the intermittent stalling problem I have had the last few days and asked them to check the codes and focus on the MAF sensor or anything else they could find... (I posted previous thread about 3 days ago describing my stalling issue) This afternoon they told me they couldn't get the car to stall on them and it wasn't showing any codes. I faxed over to them the "how to" document from the forum on how to clean the MAF, they said they would look at it and perhaps try to clean it for me. I am frustrated that they were not able to find the problem. I am happy they aren't trying to sell me a part I don't need, but also afraid to drive the car much when it stalls.

any suggestions? I am not sure exactly what I am asking, but wouldnt a dirty or bad MAF code show up? Now I am wondering if it isn't the fuel.
Code wouldn't necessarily show up. I would try to replace it with a known working one. A MAF out of a Legacy will work as long as it's a JECS sensor from a 90-94 Legacy.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 06-06-2008, 07:26 PM

I appreciate your comment-I will find out what they say about the MAF when they get into it. From the symptoms, it sure sounds like MAF problem. I got the impression they hadn't gotten to my car until the end of the day today and hadn't spent much time on it. so I told them to relax since I dont plan to drive it until this is resolved. They said new MAF was around $300 or so. How likely is it that MAF needs replacing versus cleaning it? My car has around 100,000 miles on it.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
There is an article on here about resoldering cracked joints in the MAF, that might be the problem (although those usually throw a code)

Another thing about codes, the computers in our cars are nowhere near as advanced as the newer cars, so a sensor that is bad, but still gives out a valid value, in most cases will not set a code. You might have a cracked vacuum hose or something, the PCV hoses in particular are known to harden and crack with age.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 06-06-2008, 08:16 PM

stalling issue unresolved by dealer so far?

Why am I not surprised? they kept mine for 6 weeks and I ended up bring it home and repairing it myself.

Half the people on this form know more about a SVX than 90% of the Subaru dealers.

Sorry,
Keith
Old 06-06-2008, 09:45 PM

It sounds like your meter is bad,I just installed one in my car from a 96 legacy.I paid 20 dollars,no more cutting out at speed or stalling ,also replace or check your connector.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Why am I not surprised? they kept mine for 6 weeks and I ended up bring it home and repairing it myself.

Half the people on this form know more about a SVX than 90% of the Subaru dealers.

Sorry,
Keith
It all depends on the dealer, and how much experience the tech has that's looking at it lol
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 06-07-2008, 11:36 AM

Is true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
It all depends on the dealer, and how much experience the tech has that's looking at it lol
It also depends on what the problem is. Many problems are things that are routine but lack of experience on the SVX can be a problem for a lot of dealers, because the SVX is so rare. They just don't get any practice because there just wasn't that many sold.
Keith

Last edited by kwren; 06-10-2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: t
Old 06-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
I appreciate your comment-I will find out what they say about the MAF when they get into it. From the symptoms, it sure sounds like MAF problem. I got the impression they hadn't gotten to my car until the end of the day today and hadn't spent much time on it. so I told them to relax since I dont plan to drive it until this is resolved. They said new MAF was around $300 or so. How likely is it that MAF needs replacing versus cleaning it? My car has around 100,000 miles on it.
Bailey

What the guys say above I agree with. It's most likely the MAF [it can be bad vacuum pipes and stuff, so you have to keep that in mind], but the MAF can suffer from a dirty element or from bad electronic connections in the square box. The first needs cleaning, the second needs dismantling and re-soldering.

I have used a Legacy turbo MAF myself with success. It is a straight bolt-in solution so long as it is the JECS type, and they are more plentiful than SVX mafs second-hand.

Don't completely condemn the techies for not replicating your problem; when I had the problem it manifested most often after a long fast drive, cutting out when braking for lights or junctions.

This might imply it needs a lot of heat build-up to replicate the condition, and the problem at the dealers is they will just give your car a little run from cold, and that may not show up the symptom.

Is there another SVX owner near you who could swap you a good MAF for a day? If it cures the stalling you will know immediately you need to fix or replace the MAF.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-11-2008, 09:07 AM

thanks for the information... unfortunately, no SVX owner near me to try a MAF swap for a day. The dealership service mgr left me a message yesterday that they had finally gotten the stalling to happen for them (they hadn't been able to get it to stall until yesterday- so your assessment is probably correct , that the car needs to be warmed up) but they hadn't found the problem yet. I still think it is MAF, I am hoping to hear something from them today. I would like them to try to clean it and re-solder but I wonder what they might charge for the labor for trying that or if they would be willing to try that.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
... unfortunately, no SVX owner near me to try a MAF swap for a day...
Any Legacy owners that you know? A Legacy MAF will hurt you're high end power, but will work normally at normal driving. Good enough to let you know if that's the cause of the stumbling.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
thanks for the information... unfortunately, no SVX owner near me to try a MAF swap for a day. The dealership service mgr left me a message yesterday that they had finally gotten the stalling to happen for them (they hadn't been able to get it to stall until yesterday- so your assessment is probably correct , that the car needs to be warmed up) but they hadn't found the problem yet. I still think it is MAF, I am hoping to hear something from them today. I would like them to try to clean it and re-solder but I wonder what they might charge for the labor for trying that or if they would be willing to try that.
Well, that's gotta be the problem with living in Iowa I suppose; more chance of meeting a dead baseball player than another SVX owner.

If you get no joy from the dealer [they will probably want to fit a new expensive MAF first option], you have other possibilities. If you got the car back you could bolt the MAF off and either take it to an electronics shop or a computer shop and ask if they will repair it for you.

There is a How-To on here you could print off. The only thing you need to find would be the mastic for refitting the square lid to the MAF meter. It should not be too hard to do, so long as you find the right circuit board soldering person.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Talking about dealers!!

Guys you should all be lucky you live in the US and not in an arabian country.
Nissan sells cars here (Qatar) like crazy, and they do not even bother themselves into hiring certified mechanics to do jobs, nor even engineers for that matter.

All they do is hire very very low level workers, who never held a wrench in their life, and a foreman who has a catalogue of each part in a car and follows the instructions accordingly.

I dunno if I ever announced it to the board, but I am having issues with my Nissan gearbox, it is sticking on shifts... They changed the synchros and the problem got worse... I was able to diagnose the problem and I limited it to forks inside the GB, but never told them that...

I was debating that matter for the last 3 months asking for a NEW gearbox, and now I am getting it, will be installed in my car on Saturday...

You cannot just fix things around here, nor paint a car professionally... I am afraid now after my warranty expired... I might be obliged to send it home for specific serious jobs to be done

Just thought I would share these facts

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:52 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Quote:
You have a PM.