Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 05-19-2002, 11:04 PM
FREESTYLER

5Speed

any 1 in oz done a 5 Speed conversion 2 there SVX
or any other GoFast Mods, what after market brakes are the best, has anyone fitted them?, im planning on racing it at eastern creek next year
Old 05-20-2002, 09:20 PM

Registered SVX
Circuit Racing

The car is far too heavy to be competitive. You should think again before throwing money into to a fruitless project.

The SVX is an excellent performance road car but so much sophistication has been built into it that it is not a racing proposition. Spending a fortune would not see you in front of many costing out at less than half the price. Ask yourself why so few luxury vehicles are seen in competition.

Sorry to post such a negative reply but I have been there and done that and am trying to advise you wisely.

Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-21-2002, 07:59 AM
FREESTYLER

i know i know i know...
i know its a heavy beast, and not ready for the track
but i just want to do it for fun
just nee 2 relace the brakes shocks and put some fats on the back.
with the pod air filter, how do u hook the computer back onto it??

damn i need a job to fund all this......
Old 05-22-2002, 03:28 AM

Registered SVX
You should do some more research before making mindless mods. particularly into rules and regulations. Do you have a valid competition licence or plans to do the necessary to obtain one ? You are not talking about a ride down the local drag strip." Fats " on the back will turn it into an understeering sledge. Why would you consider fitting them to an AWD car?

If you only want to have fun drive it as it is at least for a start and you may be surprised that the engineers who built it know more than you do about handling. You can then decide exacly what improvements may be worthwhile. But to be sure you will require a very fat pay packet to cover even entry fees, safety gear and running expenses.

I have raced many cars and purchased my SVX on the basis of its very couth and balanced handling and it is capable of being driven very quickly. I for one am not convinced the brakes will prove a problem if a driver knows what he is about, accepted that one has to retard a lot of motor car.

Make a single alteration and you will upest the balance. Embark on a series of alterations and you will get no where without an expensive, frustrating programme of track testing. Open your mouth and cheque book in the wrong circles and you will be talked into a lot of looks good only junk.

Does the racing in which you intend to compete require the fitting of a role cage as I would invisage? A certified cage is very expensive and would ruin the resale value of your car. The SVX would not be elligible for classic racing.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 05-22-2002 at 03:45 AM.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:45 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Nought to sixty heavy wait.

Have to agree with everything Trevor is telling you Freestyler. The power to weight ratio is all wrong for any kind of competition work. Any upgrade conversion is going to cost serious bucks, will make the car unsaleable, and will not still get it to compete because of afore-mentioned power to weight problem.

The car is relatively quick as it is. And very controllable and smooth at quite high velocities.

Some of the people on the US forum have added nitrous with good benefit and little ill effect. You can add a nice 80 hp without breaking the bank or busting the engine or transmission. There are lots of wrong ways to go about it, and only one or two right ways. Post a question on the Mods forum, and the people who have done it right will tell you how to go about it. Get a competent race tech or shop to fit it if you go that route, otherwise kiss your engine goodbye before you switch it on.

Best of luck

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-25-2002, 05:03 AM

Registered SVX
Selfish Games

Joe,

We have both been taken for suckers. It is only a kid kidding, refer his other posts. I am not amused and no more will I waste time on anyone who posts with an empty profile. Honest fun is OK and appreciated but not this.

Trevor.

Old 05-25-2002, 09:06 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Just Kidding

OK by me Trevor.

Don't know about Oz, but a lot of kids in the States come on in the same state of mind. They buy a high mileage car cheap, and come on full of enthusiasm for modding the thing up. They ignore and are oblivious to the fact that it is almost perfect as it is for the purpose which the designers intended it to do.

I don't mind advising them, if they or their old man have deep pockets, there is no reason why they should not make a silk purse into a sow's ear.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-25-2002, 09:30 PM

Registered SVX
Joe,

He has no car to mod. he was talking about his mothers car and was just having us on. At his age I was building a sports car to go motor racing and know all about his frame of mind but do not go along with the deception even though he may have thought this a load of fun.

Regards, Trevor.

Last edited by Trevor; 05-25-2002 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-26-2002, 01:47 AM
FREESTYLER

hold on, im not kidding around, im serious, yeah its my mums car, but im getting it, and so what if i want to put a air filter and a 5speed gear box, thats got nothing 2 do with me being a kid joking around

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: