Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Got the tranny out! Ruh-roh.... **Carnage pics added**

Well, today I put a pressure gauge on the tranny, and it read 0 psi in any range or RPM... So out came the tranny :-)

The torque converter will slide out about 1/2" and then it WILL NOT MOVE, it'll wiggle side to side but me and the Master Tech at work beat and pried on it and it didn't budge... So I think I have a phungled T/C and/or hydraulic pump :-) Stupid dumb $*%*@ independent repair shops....
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta

Last edited by Hondasucks; 10-17-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:52 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
I'll bet a dollar against a doughnut, that the shop didn't seat the TC fully before installing the tranny.
That being the case, the pump would be FUBARED.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:15 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Yeah that's what I'm thinkin too. Pump is pretty easy to change, but I don't know what a new one costs. I'm gonna find out what needs to be replaced and how much it's gonna cost, adn if it's more than the $200 that Nextse7en wants for his diffy-less tranny I'm gonna get his and swap the stuff from mine over to it and slap 'er back in :-)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 10-14-2007, 02:09 AM
Graphic Artist

Say, I don't suppose you have a shop up there that can do an R&R on the cheap.

It gets a little complicated, but here goes.

1. My tranny on my driver SVX shattered its diff, I went to 4.44's The junkyard sold me the front diff, tranny, and read diff out of an outback 2.5 (the transmission I am selling you came was the one that shattered the diff.)

2. I swapped in the outback tranny, front diff, and rear diff of the outback, leaving the original tranny sitting on the shelf in my garage.

3. I bought a parts car 2 weeks ago, when I tore into it, I found that the tranny was less than 2 years old, and was a genuine subaru remanufactured job.

4. The outback tranny started to flare on the 1-2 shift. I tightened the brake band to spec, and replaced my TPS, made no difference with the flare, so I'm thinking the outback tranny is on its way out. It also binds, and has some electrical issues (throws a code)

The outcome of all of this is, I am selling you my original transmission that had nothing wrong with it, and I need to junk the outback transmission in my car currently, to replace it with the reman'd one in the parts car, keeping my 4.44 differentials in place.

I've gathered that you work at a dealership, if that is correct, want to trade R and Ring my toastred outback tranny for the reman'd tranny in exchange for my original tranny, and just forget any exchanging of monies?

Let me know, (if you can decipher what I just said)

-Patrick

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Subaru Technician

Registered SVX
Well the good news is I DO work at a shop, a Subaru dealer in fact (John and Phil's) so basically what you'd want me to do is put the Outback diff on the reman tranny and swap it with the tranny that's in your car. Sounds easy enough, but I'll have to talk to my boss cuz I'm not supposed to do work for money at the shop, but I don't know how they'd feel about me doing it for parts lol...

I could find out how much they'd charge to R&R your tranny, I'd say ~$400 or so but not positive....

I will most likely need a tranny, and I'd me more than willing to buy yours and swap the solenoids and diff off my trans (I dunno what the solenoids cost new, but my trans is fine electrically) and then later on if I do the swap for you, pay me back or whatever...

How much do you want out of the trans?

Also, find out what code the tranny is throwing.... If it'll make it up here on a Saturday, I can use the Select Monitor at work :-) or there is a procedure to make the power light flash to read the codes.
1986 VW Jetta
Old 10-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Graphic Artist

My tranny refuses to give me the codes - I've successfully pulled codes from the old one in the past, but now, no matter how many times I do it, they won't show.

Very odd.

As far as how much I want - the 200 bucks stands. If you want to go the whole nine yards, and swap this 2 year old front diff that I won't be using onto my old tranny that I'm selling you, then 275?

Sounds good on the trade, let me know what your boss thinks.... I think my car may have a new best friend.

-Patrick

6Xk Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Subaru Technician

Registered SVX
275 sounds good... I don't think they'll give a hoot since I won't be making a profit off it but I probably won't have time to do it until I get mine going and my Legacy ready to sell so I'd rather just buy it for now, and having the new front diff will be nice, I'll just hang on to my old one as a spare. I can come down Wednesday and pick it up as that is my day off :-)

As for the codes, I might be able to pull codes with the select monitor, we plugged it into mine to make sure it wasn't an electrical problem that was causing it not to move.. but you'd have to bring the car to Corvallis for me to do it since they won't let me outta the building with the select monitor :-P
1986 VW Jetta
Old 10-15-2007, 12:32 AM
Graphic Artist

The tranny is yours any time you want it. The front diff will have to wait until I pull it, which will probably end up being next weekend. I've got to get the engine out of there first, as I have this thing about working under cars that would kill me instantly if they fell off of my 2 dollar special harbor freight jack stands. (Had a land rover come down on me once, thank god for the 14 inches of clearance, I just ended up with a bruised shoulder and some wounded pride when my fiancee heard me scream like a 10 year old girl.)

You will need the drive line gear the comes from the tranny to spin the differential out of your old car, as mine is a bit worse for wear.

PM me for directions.

-Patrick

6Xk Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Subaru Technician

Registered SVX
okay I'll come down wednesday, PM me with directions :-) I have my tranny apart, I'll just put my diff on it (it's in good shape) that way I can slap 'er in on Saturday after work :-) Do you by any chance have a good torque convertor? I'm afraid mine is trashed :-(

I figured out what was fubared on mine, took the front pump out and the rotor had siezed to the housing. I'll upload some pics tonight when I get home.
1986 VW Jetta
Old 10-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Graphic Artist

Thats a negatory on the TC, unfortunatly.

I reused my TC when I swapped. Though I do have one in the parts car, I'll see if I can't get that engine out tomorrow to have it ready for you.

-Patricks

Directions are really easy.

I-5 South to the Glenwood exit (just past the downtown exit,
or first exit after the willamette crossing. (not the mckenzie)

Circle around till you are back on e onramp to I5, N. Stay in the right lane, and it will branch off to go under the I5 bridge, just before you go under the bridge, turn left.

stay right, it will veer off and up a little hill, once you cant go any further, turn left, we are the 5'th house on the right, the address is 1590 Sylvan, the address is nailed to a tree at the base of the driveway. Our house is the one with 2 SVXs and a white land rover in the driveway.

Patrick

6Xk Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Subaru Technician

Registered SVX
Okay sounds good to me, so see you wednesday? Hopefully you can get the TC for me, would save me a bundle, although I still have to get the bushing that the TC rides on that's in the diffy housing as mine is toast. When the pump seized it spread the drive ears on the TC enough that it won't come out of the diff without boogering up the bushing I'll probably head down around 10 or so... If you want you can call me, # is 541 990 8697, if I don't pick up, leave me a message and I'll get back to you.
1986 VW Jetta
Old 10-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Graphic Artist

Hi Honda,

I'll try mightily to get to that tranny tomorrow. See if I can't get an engine hoist in the mornin'.

-Patrick

6Xk Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-16-2007, 05:00 AM

Registered SVX
all you guys so close must be nice i am a LONG way away for anything, to be able to help, oh well my little tanturm
Old 10-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Graphic Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarufamily View Post
all you guys so close must be nice i am a LONG way away for anything, to be able to help, oh well my little tanturm
I've been on the network for 3 years and change now, and this is the first time I've had someone even remotely close to me. Oh, and did you get your part?

Patrick

6Xk Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-16-2007, 03:11 PM

Registered SVX
got the part and it fixed the stalling and running rich issue thank you it also increased the mileage by in town by a mpg. havent drive it that much on the highway to know the difference as i drive it to and from work 8 miles one way 16 miles a day it is hard to track mileage on a short trip for the highway