Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-09-2007, 03:44 AM

i just want the ticking to stop

my cars been ticking since i was on my way home from buying it. somehow the kid got lucky, and it wasnt ticking for the test drive. but i only paid 2700 and ive put 15000 miles on it or so, with no mechanical work.(except a water pump) not too bad.
but the ticking has really started to annoy me.
ive tried MMO and light oil, engine honey and thick oil. that 5 min engine flush crap. nothing seems to work. the thicker oil seem to quiet it down.
i dont think its the flexplate because it doesnt always tick (just most the time.)

anyway my question is... how much would it cost to fix? or even better, how long would it call for? to change the lifters or HLA or whatever you wanna call them.
or should i just put a louder exhaust so i dont have to hear it. i allready have two 12's cramed in the trunk rattling my car to pieces.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:04 AM
Network Design Administrator

IIRC The ticking is normal on the SVX...

I could be wrong...
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:55 PM

Registered SVX
the ticking, i think you hear, is probably your injectors. there is another thread about getting quieter injectors. dont know the result try a search
Old 10-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Suggest you get out your calibrated () long handled screwdriver and use it to find out exactly where the "ticking" is coming from. It could be the lifters, it could be the injectors, it could be the power steering pump, it could be a cracked flexplate, it could be a family of crickets who have taken up residence under your intake manifold
Find out for certain and get back to us.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-09-2007, 03:08 PM

must be crickets. ill just get out my RAID and do work. i hate crickets, crickets would be worse.

its coming from the mid drivers side of the engine, kinda where the middle cylinder would be on the drivers side. im pretty sure it got louder when i put the scope(screwdriver) on the head. ill have to go out and check, it was a couple of months ago when i looked. ill check the injectors also.

the tick seems too be quieter right after an oil change. and when the engine is cold. maby a lifter was clogged for too long and it just burnt out.

it lookes pretty cramped in there. do you have to pull the engine to remove the valve cover?

oh yah it always seems louder after a trip to phoenix (about 120 miles each way.) thats when i first heard it, on the way back from there, where i bought the car.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:16 PM

Registered SVX
It is great to receive such detailed information and feed back. So often lack of same becomes rather frustrating to those trying to help out. Keep it coming as your diagnosis will prove valuable to others.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-10-2007, 01:52 AM

9 inch thin handled flathead screwdriver test results.
the injectors do make alot of noise, but its alot quieter. and they seem to tick about 2 or 3 times for every mistery tick. if i put my ear in next to the injectors i can hear them seperatly from the tick.
is there any way a bad knock sensor could have anything to do with it. i have a bad one right next to where the sounds coming from.
i think i read before about possibly egr valve making noise. ill look up where that is and try to hear it tomorrow in the light.

if it is the lifter, witch i think it is. does anybody know how much it would cost to get it fixed? or how long it would take?

cause i could probably get some cheap labor.
i dont think ill try this one myself. I did change my timing belt and waterpump by myself, and everything came out good.(very proud, thank you)
Old 10-10-2007, 02:58 AM

Registered SVX
Interesting comment regarding the knock sensor.

A noise from same would surely be unusual/unexpected, but might not be impossible. The sensor includes a weight so that inertia is required before there is an affect on the incorporated ceramic element. Think of a crude microphone with the diaphragm damped by means of an attached weight.

Could the sensor be defective such that the weight is loose? has anyone been curious enough to dismantle one? Can you get your magic screwdriver onto it? With that in mind, I suggest you could also try a piece of flexible tubing as a makeshift stethoscope.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!