Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2002, 04:51 AM

Registered SVX
Question Those Windows

We must not let Ò Down Under Ò go to sleep for want of posts so here is something controversial i.e. The Windows.

When I first saw an SVX I thought the window arrangement made a lot of sense and since I have owned one I have confirmed this first impression and am sold on this feature. However have noted many adverse comments in magazines etc.

In the past I have been a fan of open cars and up until now have always owned one as well as a saloon (sedan). When driving a closed car I have kept the windows up because of the annoying direct buffeting draught. Now for the first time I find that I can drive in comfort with the windows down albeit at the expense of road noise.

The Ò Monsoon Shield Ò a plastic curved side window deflector was seen in great numbers in Australia and N.Z. during the 50Õs and 60Õs when smokers liked to have their window down. Furthermore in Ausie a proper hand signal was obligatory prior to flashing indicators being accepted as a legal signal. The SVX window set up would have been very well received at that time.

Who else is for the SVX window design ?

Trevor, (sticking his neck out)

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-10-2002, 07:13 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

Without the windows how would we ever describe our cars to the uninformed? I also think the car wouldn't have the following & interest that it does, without 'em.
Functionally - Yes the wind noise is lessened, but the rain thing doesn't work. There should have been a small grooved channel cut along the edge to at least deflect a light rain. Perhaps there's a cottage industry out there for SVX rain gutters. I'd buy 'em.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:42 AM

SVX

The windows are perfect eyecatchers.
If people look at my SVX they first ask bout the windows and then
what kind of car that is?

In Austria there are only about 30 SVX on the road. So the people
don't know it at all.

mfg hrc
Old 04-10-2002, 09:45 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I too like the windows for their design and functionality, but, like Ron, would appreciate some gutterage. I've found that, at certain speeds, the rain stays out of the windows if you don't run your wipers, but, the moment you stop -- the flood comes in. All in all, though, the moments it takes for the arm of my shirt/coat to dry are worth the rest of the pleasures.

All hail the "Fellowship of the Funny Windows."
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-10-2002, 09:56 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
I too like the windows for their design and functionality, but, like Ron, would appreciate some gutterage. I've found that, at certain speeds, the rain stays out of the windows if you don't run your wipers, but, the moment you stop -- the flood comes in. All in all, though, the moments it takes for the arm of my shirt/coat to dry are worth the rest of the pleasures.

All hail the "Fellowship of the Funny Windows."
Are you guys saying that other cars are better than the SVX at keeping out rain with the windows open? Naw, I didn't think so. Do you guys get every meal from a drive-up window? No "gutterage" for me. I've grown sort of accustomed to keeping them up in foul weather anyhow.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 04-10-2002, 10:08 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by wasions

Are you guys saying that other cars are better than the SVX at keeping out rain with the windows open? Naw, I didn't think so. Do you guys get every meal from a drive-up window? No "gutterage" for me. I've grown sort of accustomed to keeping them up in foul weather anyhow.
Steve, you know my mind's in the gutter most of the time. Anyway, I thought one of the touted advantages of the design was to be able to drive in a monsoon windows down. Obviously not.

Wet 'n sweaty, Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:10 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
more that just a window.

I see the windows as the most significant feature, that others know the SVX by. Every body remarks on them.

I like the feature for the ease of entry and exit. Having no right arm and a dud right leg (RHD) I can access the car without hitting my head on the edge of the roof, as the window curves up over the edge of the drivers seat. Try getting into a few other low coupes, you then realise why the windows were designed that way.

Did I say I liked them ? bloody oath
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:06 PM
Boone

Re: more that just a window.

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au
I see the windows as the most significant feature, that others know the SVX by. Every body remarks on them.

I like the feature for the ease of entry and exit. Having no right arm and a dud right leg (RHD) I can access the car without hitting my head on the edge of the roof, as the window curves up over the edge of the drivers seat. Try getting into a few other low coupes, you then realise why the windows were designed that way.

Did I say I liked them ? bloody oath
Harvey.
I've been thinking of a narrow deflector strip where the glass meets so I can leave the window down a bit without filling up the arm rest in a rain.

Harvey,
It sounds like you have been in a fight. A good one. We didn't think we would live to see the promise of this newish millenium and...... (click attach)

Regards, B.
Attached Files
File Type: wav flyingcars.wav (150.3 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by Boone; 04-11-2002 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:32 AM

Registered SVX
Conclusion.

The unanimous conclusion appears to be that this original feature which makes the car so different is in fact immensely practical and is in no way a gimmick. Pity the critics in the motoring press did such a poor evaluation but they never have the balls to stick their necks out and only the mundane is acceptable to them.

What next? Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-11-2002, 03:46 AM

Registered SVX
Thumbs up Flying Cars

Will have to dig out from my electronic bits and pieces some decent speakers ! Good one Boone! *<)

Old 04-11-2002, 06:42 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Hi all!

I had to add my two cents....the windows are, I have found, the best way of describing the car:

"Hello, do you have a Subaru SVX"
"A what?"
"Em....2 door, wierd windows"
"Ahh...that one!"

Unfortunately no one has mistakenly offered me a McLaren F1, Diablo SE 30, Bugatti EB110 or such like by mistake!

*all having the same window concept for those not in the know*

Regards

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 04-13-2002, 05:57 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Window dressers

I like the way the window can be open without buffeting or noise up to 50 or 60 [miles, not K's]

Can be done in light rain, but put on the wipers for instant regret.

I feel this is a tribute to the convex shape of the upper glass section on the door. This is not something can be replicated in a window that opens.

I dislike the way the water drops right on your arm when you open for a toll booth in the rain. Also, sticking your hand out and waving to a friend can be fraught, esp if you do not have a 34" inside leg measurement.

For trogledytes, the windows may be the most noticable or defining feature of the car. Not for me, they are only one piece of the jigsaw. Double curvature of the door glass would not have been possible any other way. This adds to the general "muscular" steroidal look of the car. Possibly this is why Guigiaro likes the car without rear wing. The wing adds another plane horizontal aspect to the car which detracts from the general bulginess of the design, and drags it closer to the ordinary.

One last beneficial design feature. Police who stop you late at night like to lean into the car and savour the atmosphere. In Ireland, they need to be able to say in court they were of the opinion you were drinking. Otherwise, unless you drove erratically, they may not invite you to blow the breathalizer for alcohol. No way they can get a nose into the SVX unless they go down on one knee. Drive safe, and keep em guessing!!

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-13-2002, 09:53 PM

Registered SVX
Joe you have added a lot of points all of common sense a commodity difficolt to find these days.

The added spoiler does just that. There is plenty of downforce in the boot (trunk) lid which should be obvious. Any extra will of course slow the car which I feel is probably a good thing for those who covet extra junk and drive with wings and a prayer.

I am not willing to run a test on the latter point you have made but I am sure it is a valid one!

Trevpr.

Old 04-13-2002, 11:41 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
heheheh...

That's not terribly p.c. (politically correct) Joe, but since I'm not running for office I'll admit getting a chuckle from that last line. The next time someone makes a wisecrack about the windows I'll have to recant that as an advantage. You know me, I throw gas on fires....
Old 04-14-2002, 03:19 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Non Police Constable

Yes, I know it is non PC, and do not suggest drinking and driving under the influence.

I do admit I am a little irked when checkpoint police practically climb in the window. Your first thought is they are friendly guys, or your aftershave needs to be changed for something less sweet, but the reality is a little more predatorial.

So I snigger quietly to myself if stopped in the SVX, see how they can approach what presents as a problem for their normal MO.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl