Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-21-2008, 06:58 AM
Old Guy

This thread is 15 months old. That BMW may be history.
Preston
Old 01-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
That's true, Preston

I was just chatting to Max about his Stag. We rarely see them over here in their natural habitat with such low miles. This is probably because, like the SVX, they are accomplished long distance mile eaters in the GT sense, so most owners would have used them, not parked them.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-21-2008, 10:23 AM

STAG and old thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
I like 8 series cars also, although I feel I would prefer the 840 with the V8.

Max, your Stag would be an old school GT, out nearly 20 years before the others mentioned here.

My boss had one way back, I got to drive it a lot and it was a lovely car, for its time. However the chassis and handling left a lot to be desired compared to the SVX say, but I would expect that given the age difference. The interior is really lovely, very "English" and upmarket IMO.

Did you know the plan was to put the 16 valve heads from the Dolomite Sprint on that V8 engine? The oil crisis put paid to further development I think. A real pity, as a nice Triumph Stag still has the road presence that all good designs of the right size can exhibit. 36K miles, nice one to keep.

Joe
Hello Joe,

I did not know this thread was old and only replied to it having read recent activity.

As for my STAG not that i want to high Jack this thread here is a link to some pictures.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2958522

I should have known that if someone new what one was it would be here on this forum. No one i have met nows what it is and still don't believe its a Triumph and an original V8 by Triumph itself.

I knew they toyed with a few engines but I am happy they settled with an entire Triumph engine regardless of its initial problems with cooling. Today and back then a well maintained example had no issues and I have changed the factory timing chains and will do so every 20K miles or 8 years. This way no stretching issues....My example is all original except the full body repaint I did this summer. BUt the trim and interior was untouched and not redone, just removed and put back. not even cleaned. The car was so nice that the faded paint had to go. It looks new today.

Did you drive an Automatic or 4 Speed? Did it have the original 3.0L V8 or a swap as most did? The original V8 has an awesome deep sound and the 4 Speed it great. I understand that the drive is very different than a GT of today but for its time it was great. Even today its a great relaxing drive. I love this car. I also have a 1974 Mazda RX4 which is as close to a GT that a Japanese car maker could have gotten at that time. It too has 34K original miles and paint too, still shines like new inside and out. You can see it at Cardomain as well. I like old odd cars.

Max
Old 01-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxg765 View Post
Hello Joe,

Did you drive an Automatic or 4 Speed? Did it have the original 3.0L V8 or a swap as most did? The original V8 has an awesome deep sound and the 4 Speed it great. I understand that the drive is very different than a GT of today but for its time it was great. Even today its a great relaxing drive. I love this car. I also have a 1974 Mazda RX4 which is as close to a GT that a Japanese car maker could have gotten at that time. It too has 34K original miles and paint too, still shines like new inside and out. You can see it at Cardomain as well. I like old odd cars.

Max
Hi Max

I drove an auto, white just like yours, except it had standard alloys. I have never seen one with wires, in fact they are too new to have come from the factory with wires [too much tuning to do ], so I suspect yours are a later addition by an owner.

It is a really nice car to drive, my comments about the chassis need to be measured against the ability of other cars that age. I love them. There is a Triumph club here in Ireland, always a few Stags knocking about.

Did you know that our Network Presidente, Randy aka Aredubjay, is an ex-Triumph man? He had a Spitfire in the past, another pretty Michelotti design.

I've looked at your RX4 as well. You are one lucky bugger! That is a fantastic car! I expect you will give it the care it deserves.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Old Guy

Love the looks of the Stag. As rare as the SVX may be, a Stag is far more rare. Having recently looked at Stag prices I can see why.
Preston
Old 03-01-2008, 12:15 AM
The best Damn Lance Corporal

Send a message via AIM to chris92svxlsl
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSides View Post
This thread is 15 months old. That BMW may be history.
Preston
Actually your right! I traded it in for a E46 M3...That thing gave me way too many little problems..but I got a good trade in for it. I still lurk on this forum every now and then... I feel I should because my SVX treated me sooo good. I kinda miss the feeling of people looking at me saying "wtf is that" but now I love my bimmer two words...weight distribution
Old 03-01-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris92svxlsl View Post
Actually your right! I traded it in for a E46 M3...That thing gave me way too many little problems..but I got a good trade in for it. I still lurk on this forum every now and then... I feel I should because my SVX treated me sooo good. I kinda miss the feeling of people looking at me saying "wtf is that" but now I love my bimmer two words...weight distribution

Well congratulations on the "new" purchase.

Oh and forget you and your weight distribution, we've got AWD, so....HA! hahah Glad to see you still hang around though. Enjoy the show.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 03-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris92svxlsl View Post
The power of Bavarian Do the e46s still have the autorotate feature, or does stability controll eliminate that? Tail happy in the rain, and steering the rear end with the throttle I always enjoyed that!
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:15 PM
The best Damn Lance Corporal

Send a message via AIM to chris92svxlsl
Unhappy

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Last edited by chris92svxlsl; 02-01-2016 at 05:30 AM.