Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-06-2006, 12:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
Tranny dead AGAIN!

I replaced my tranny last year in oct., its September and guess what suddenly died today? My transmission. Serves me right, i park across the street from a tranny shop 3 days a week, it must be catchy. Good news is i think its under warranty so it wont kill me but it might kill my grades as i dont have a spare car and i need to get to school. It does 'drive' in manual mode but i dont want to do that long term as i'm not that good at it and i cant imagine its good for it with a slipping 3rd gear. Is it just my car that toasts a tranny every fall (this is the third in 3 years) or do the rest of you put up with this too?

Today should have been awesome I have front row seats to see Nickelback in concert tonight. Damn, Damn, Damn. DAMN.

Is this karma b/c i dont remember doing anything is bad recently.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Is it only 3rd gear? Perhaps a band brake adjustment will cure it. If it is 3rd and 4th then it's likely one of the clutches.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
its 3rd and 4th as far as i can tell. I dont really care whats needed to fix it as i dont have to pay for it but i do care how long it takes. The shop is ordering a new tranny so i assume they plan on replacing it (which took 3 days last time) but it may be a just in case thing.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Phil & Belha

Nickelback rock! Enjoy the concert.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 09-06-2006, 01:54 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Make sure they blow out/test/flush the trans cooler in the radiator, replace the in line filter, and check the trans cooler tubes and hoses.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-06-2006, 04:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to Cho
another thing you can do after you get your car back into working order is to install a trans cooler. You can get one at Napa or Parts of America. (aka Schucks, Kragens, etc. Takes like about 2 hours to install and ur trans should last you a lot longer.

1995 SVX L - Emerald Green
1992 Supra Turbo Red

Mods: Slotted Front and Rear Rotors, K&N Stock filter, Blue LED Interior Lights, and New Paint.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cho
another thing you can do after you get your car back into working order is to install a trans cooler. You can get one at Napa or Parts of America. (aka Schucks, Kragens, etc. Takes like about 2 hours to install and ur trans should last you a lot longer.
Been there, done that. The original owner had one installed after the 2004 rebuild and the shop who fixed it last time claims it was done correctly but it doesn't seem to help very much in 100+ degree southern summers.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
Make sure they blow out/test/flush the trans cooler in the radiator, replace the in line filter, and check the trans cooler tubes and hoses.
And the fluid in the lines... every bit helps. It is very easy to flush it all at the same time while the tranny is "on the bench" and really there is no good excuse for skipping it, but some shops do .
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 09-07-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix
And the fluid in the lines... every bit helps. It is very easy to flush it all at the same time while the tranny is "on the bench" and really there is no good excuse for skipping it, but some shops do .
I'm assuming this is the problem, that it wasnt flushed during my last replacement and it was partially clogged and over heated (but you'd like i would get a warning light for that wouldnt i?)

To add to my stress load i just got a call back for an interview for a job a really want. How the heck am i supposed to get there???