SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

View Poll Results: What color shall it go?
Black over Swiss Ruby Mica (Stock for UK) 13 48.15%
Ebony Mica over slightly tweaked Swiss Ruby Mica (Partial custom) 3 11.11%
Completely custom color (To be disclosed later) 8 29.63%
Dont paint your car, theres still some barcelona red between them rock chips 4 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2006, 09:42 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
What to do about this color....

Okay...anyone who is stalking me, or happens to be an avid forum reader knows that my car is soon to be repainted. Looking at mabey next month or so...but that leaves me with just one question..

What color should I paint it?

The first thing that popped into my mind was Bipa's Black over Swiss Ruby Mica svx. Very classy, especially without the spoiler. In fact, I have already begun to clone it, starting with removing the wing and switching the entire interior over from tan back to grey (I change interiors like shirts...)

Now, it took me a little bit to do so, but I found the color I was looking for, and, although it is very nice, it just seems to be missing something.It is more or less your run of the mill Metallic red.Looks nice, but it jsut doesnt pop out as something special. I was considering adding mabey a little red pearl as an addictive, and doing the trunklid and roof in ebony mica rather than standard black. It would really give the car a bit more pizazz, but at that point it isnt a factory color anymore. Hell, I'll have to repaint my engine bay to match anyhow, so why not go with something completely off the wall custom?

I have a few things in mind for custom colors, but just for the "If I do it" shock factor I'd like to keep them semi-personal. But both are diffrent greens, and solid colors, so dont worry about me painting my car...say..bright orange with red and black lightning bolts down the side or anything like that...thats just gaudy.

So yeah, opinions, comments, concerns, or whatever would be appreciated, as Im kindof up in the air and easilly impressionable
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Last edited by It's Just Eric; 08-22-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:24 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
You are going to have a little of red showing up in hidden places if you do any other colour but red since you started off. Keep it red of some sort even if it is non USDM colours.

The only car that I'd paint any other colour over would be black. Speaking of which, I am looking for a black 97 so let me know if you guys seen one.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Eric,
This is a nice offshoot of red.

Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 08-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
Quote:
You are going to have a little of red showing up in hidden places if you do any other colour but red since you started off. Keep it red of some sort even if it is non USDM colours.
I was thinking that. But believe me when I say the original paint wont show through. The interior is being removed, as well as all the lights, gaskets, the works. Stripping about everyhing I can to do this. The engine may have to come out if I want it to look right...but whatever, I can change the spark plugs while its out

And yes, that red is nice...Actually that might be straight bordeaux..I can refrence it later.....
I think I have mentally deselected a custom color for the simple fact that the red matches the tail lights, and just seems to make the rear end look nicer. So no custom color (On this one)
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Last edited by It's Just Eric; 08-23-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph
The only car that I'd paint any other colour over would be black. Speaking of which, I am looking for a black 97 so let me know if you guys seen one.
There is one here at a saturn dealership In milwaukee. 97 Black/tan interior with 115k miles $6900 I believe. It looked clean inside and out. Let me know if interested I'll get you the info on that dealership.

As for color... I say stick with a nice red.

Last edited by triumph1902; 08-23-2006 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:36 PM
no more SVX...

Send a message via AIM to BordeauxComet Send a message via Yahoo to BordeauxComet
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
And yes, that red is nice...Actually that might be straight bordeaux..I can refrence it later.....
That is straight bordeaux.

'03 VW GTI 1.8T
'94 SVX LS Bordeaux Pearl (wrecked, sold..)

My Locker
Old 08-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I say black over UK ruby mica! Bipa's car looks hot!!!

Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 08-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Hater

WRX Platinum Silver:

i think an all bright silver SVX would be hot (no two-tone black roof!). plus you'd never have to worry about swirl marks, and it looks clean even when its filthy dirty.

nice........

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)

Last edited by Landshark; 08-24-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
Definently a hot svx alan...but silver cars are as common as sand around here.
One custom color I was considering was a shade of green, similar to polo, but with two diffrent pearls added in. One dark green and one yellow. When the light hits it it should show three diffrent shades of green along all the car's body lines. If i were to do a custom color at this point, it would probly be similar with red. I overlooked a simple thing about seraph's comment. You really cant paint the underside of nuts and bolts without taking them out, among other things. So keeping it a shade of red is a definant. Might end up sometime later down the road getting a 92 LS-L to save myself the trouble of inventing wiring for all the options I want it to have, so keeping (Some kind of) a factory color is probly better for resale value ect.

Ill paint that one whatever the hell color I want

Last edited by It's Just Eric; 08-25-2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
You really cant paint the underside of nuts and bolts without taking them out, among other things. So keeping it a shade of red is a definant
well, that was assuming you were going full-out.

so, maybe try ......... red?

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Will someone photochop a silver bar between the rearview mirror and the rear quarter filler panel in the pics above? The trunk lid to rear glass height that requires that filler panel and the "What the heck do we do now?" bugly front grille/headlamps are the two worst features of the SVX. The two-tone oem paint jobs only appear on the light colors, black (obvious) and green are dark enough to carry off the mistake without resorting to two-tone. (the dark colors blend into the dark glass accents, eliminating the horrible 'line-to-nowhere') Maybe a silver bar between the mirror and filler will give the roof and glass a chopped look.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Another vote for the Ruby Red Mica (but maybe all solid with only a black top)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 08-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
Quote:
Will someone photochop a silver bar between the rearview mirror and the rear quarter filler panel in the pics above? The trunk lid to rear glass height that requires that filler panel and the "What the heck do we do now?" bugly front grille/headlamps are the two worst features of the SVX. The two-tone oem paint jobs only appear on the light colors, black (obvious) and green are dark enough to carry off the mistake without resorting to two-tone. (the dark colors blend into the dark glass accents, eliminating the horrible 'line-to-nowhere') Maybe a silver bar between the mirror and filler will give the roof and glass a chopped look.
Um....having a bar in that location would make the rear-view mirror much more difficult to use. I see what your saying, but I like the line to nowhere
Just curious..whats the specs on them rx-8 wheels? (Most specificly width and weight)

Old 08-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
Will someone photochop a silver bar between the rearview mirror and the rear quarter filler panel in the pics above? Maybe a silver bar between the mirror and filler will give the roof and glass a chopped look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18inch.jpg (103.1 KB, 281 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 08-30-2006, 08:32 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Hot pink for teh win!!!111!!1

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300