Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-04-2006, 07:41 PM

Bosch or Walker oxygen sensors

Has anyone ever had any problems with the Bosch or Walker Oxygen sensors? My car has been running pretty poorly for a while. When I did the check engine light routine, the code came up 02 sensor. So I swapped them out for some Walker sensors. They lasted about a week or 2 before the problem re-occured. I swapped them out for the Bosch and it didn't change anything.
I gave up on trying to fix the problem on my own, so I took it to the dealer. The technician said the code is still coming up- bad 02 sensor. So, I should just buy the Subaru 02 sensors @ $1,000,000 a piece, I'm sure, and this should fix the problem.
Any advice from anyone would be highly appreciated. And yes I already swapped out the spark plugs. So that probably isn't the cause.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
...?? i switched over to bosch o2 sensors..and i would like to think that i dont have problems with them. i swapped them out making the assumption that the car wasn't serviced for 8 years before i bought the car.

but what do you mean of the car running poorly?
is that towards rough idle (like my car)
bad acceleration, no power.??
1992 Subaru SVX LS~L Ebony Pearl JDM 6MT/DCCD
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B. Diamond Grey Metallic
Old 08-04-2006, 09:31 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Try clearing the code and see if it comes back.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:41 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Bad O2 sensors don't usually cause crappy driving. It's usually something else.

Define crappy driving? Is it really really bad or it just a little ping?
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 08-05-2006, 12:04 PM

It's a really rough idle that smells really rich. Low power, terrible acceleration, and what sounds like a clicking. A mechanic friend of mine said, it sounds like it's missing. It's a repetitive tapping that just sounds horrible. He said after swapping out the plugs and 02 sensors that it may be some bad injectors. Any ideas?
And I have repeatedly taken the battery in and out and cleared the codes manually. Just trying not to get raped at the dealer.
Thanks again.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I'm betting the O2 sensors are working properly. They are just telling you there is a problem. Could be your timing is off, bad coil(s)/plug(s)/injector(s).
Old 08-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua R. Abel
A mechanic friend of mine said, it sounds like it's missing. Just trying not to get raped at the dealer.
Ya, it's always more fun when you let a friend do it to you. Plus, you always have a better chance of them taking back the wrong parts when it doesn't work out.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bizarre Send a message via Yahoo to Bizarre Send a message via Skype™ to Bizarre
Check for leaks on your cats and exhaust too. That caused my o2 sensors to fail as it would send incorrect signals to the engine computer.

"In times of peace, a gentleman keeps his sword at his side." Sun Tzu c 300 b.c.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:04 PM

Ok thanks, I'll have the dealership tech check the cats for leaks. Thanks
Old 08-10-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Has anyone ever had any problems with the Bosch or Walker Oxygen sensors? My car has been running pretty poorly for a while. When I did the check engine light routine, the code came up 02 sensor. So I swapped them out for some Walker sensors. They lasted about a week or 2 before the problem re-occured. I swapped them out for the Bosch and it didn't change anything.
I gave up on trying to fix the problem on my own, so I took it to the dealer. The technician said the code is still coming up- bad 02 sensor. So, I should just buy the Subaru 02 sensors @ $1,000,000 a piece, I'm sure, and this should fix the problem.
Any advice from anyone would be highly appreciated. And yes I already swapped out the spark plugs. So that probably isn't the cause.
Thanks in advance.
The front o2 sensor needs to be a subaru sensor, the rear can be any brand. AFtermarket sensors tend to be a bit slow or lazy, and can tirgger a cel.
The first sensor is the onse that interacts with the ecu and all the other sensors, the 2nd one just measures cat effeciency.

nipper
Old 08-13-2006, 09:21 AM

OK thanks. But, which one is the front 02 sensor? They are the same distance apart-front to back of the car. There is a driver's side and passenger side though.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:29 AM

im learning about SVX from this board, but otherwise am a sooby expert. Other soobies have two, one before and one after. Are you saying there are two O2 sensors before the cats, or is there one befroe the cat, and one after the cat, OR two before and one after.

nipper
Old 08-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper
The front o2 sensor needs to be a subaru sensor, the rear can be any brand. AFtermarket sensors tend to be a bit slow or lazy, and can tirgger a cel.
This is just simply not true. There is nothing wrong with the aftermarket sensors. Many people on this board have been using them for years with no ill-effects. I would have to agree with others that the sensors are telling you there is another problem. You mentioned that you changed the plugs. How did they look when you pulled them out? Did you pull them before or after the sensors starting throwing codes?

Most SVX's are OBDI and do not have an O2 sensor after the catalytic converter. What year is this SVX?

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 08-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
It's a really rough idle that smells really rich. Low power, terrible acceleration, and what sounds like a clicking. A mechanic friend of mine said, it sounds like it's missing. It's a repetitive tapping that just sounds horrible. He said after swapping out the plugs and 02 sensors that it may be some bad injectors. Any ideas?
And I have repeatedly taken the battery in and out and cleared the codes manually. Just trying not to get raped at the dealer.
Thanks again.
Anyone else think this sounds like the timing is off? You could check the injectors by pulling the connector for each one individually and seeing if the idle changes.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 08-13-2006, 09:21 PM

It's a 92. But thanks I'll have the dealer check the injectors, only because they already have it there. But that makes the most sense so far.