How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
thats what I wanted... someone with a good understanding of the system to confirm the elusive suspiscion thats all. I don't need someone random saying..."Yeah thats how it works," and sending me down the wrong path. Thanks to those of you with valuable input

Tom
Old 05-01-2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
actually it doesn't really help me. All I need to know is if the solenoid allows the AWD to fucntion in a 50/50 split at 12v or 0v. Thats all I need to know right now

Tom
Fully energized the duty c solenoid puts the car in FWD emergency mode. The sooby system is split 90/10 all the way through 50/50 by varying the on/off cycle of the solenoid. If the solenoid is cooked you will be stuck in 50/50 awd.
how to diagnose the solenoid
http://www.main.experiencetherave.co..._sol_diag1.jpg
http://www.main.experiencetherave.co..._sol_diag2.jpg

and here is how it operates
http://www.main.experiencetherave.co...er_system1.jpg
http://www.main.experiencetherave.co...er_system2.jpg
http://www.main.experiencetherave.co...er_system3.jpg

nipper
Old 05-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Maniac modifier

thanks, this factual evidence is what I was looking for. Getting a little tired of assumptions

Tom
Old 05-01-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Getting a little tired of assumptions

You and me both. But I have disconnected the wire to solenoid C from the TCU causing 0.0v and also causing 4wd, and binding in corners. My car wouldnt go into 4wd. I believe now it had something to do with the tcu. I had to find all this info already, only when I tried to find out everyone said this or that and it all contradicted. I finally just went off my FSM for my xt6 and the 4eat in the xt6 is nearly the same(nearly).

So now that you know you could check at the tcu and the connection at the tranny.( There is a PDF file in username LEE's personal locker it shows where all the wires are and there function on the tcu and at the connector) To see if it is working. and if everything is working outside of the tranny then you would have to crack open the rear end and check at the solenoid.

I posted the other thing about the valve system as harvey posted it for me a while back. Although as I said I didnt have to go that far as it actually wasnt a mechanical problem. I hate to say this but if I had to guess I would say that either your solenoid is in fact dead in water, or the wire at the solenoid might have been pulled apart or pinched when put back together. just a guess but I would say that's probably it.

Also I speak for myself but I believe people say I think and I believe because not everyone (most no one) wants to be liable if there wrong and you screw something up and get angry. No one wants you to come back on here saying its there fault. Thats why I believe you should invest in a FSM. I know they cost a bit but think of all that you will be able to know just by opening a book. not to mention how much you will save from not breaking something to find out how it works.
Also if you have mitchell on demand CD for the SVX (thats what I got) there is a wiring diagram under table of contents/system wiring diagram/transmission

Anyways just my 2 cents as everyone says on here.

1993 Ford Probe 30mpg 213k
1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running

Last edited by spinn360; 05-01-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Maniac modifier

I do have the Mitchell disks. Infact I have about 30 copies of them. I only use it to troubleshoot wiring and for torque specs and sequencing. For something like this, Mitchell cd's are useless and if this has not been discussed before, it should be anyway. Thanks for the replies, once finals are done at school I will get into the teal

Tom
Old 05-02-2006, 12:47 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn360
You and me both.
Also I speak for myself but I believe people say I think and I believe because not everyone (most no one) wants to be liable if there wrong and you screw something up an
From experienceI know very well what you are getting at. However be very sure that when I make a statement, I do so with authority and with the consequences in mind in respect of other members. If I am proven wrong I will always humbly appologise with much regret, more particularly should anyone be adversely affected.

Sincerely, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!