How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-17-2006, 09:31 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to rayford
I must have messed up my right rear abs sensor

I changed the rear wheel bearing on the passenger side and had a lot of problems getting the abs sensor out, I tried to be careful but it was really stuck bad, I used a thin screwdirver behind the mounting bracket and used PB Blaster on it as well,, and it did finely come out but it did fall from where I had it placed while I was working on the rest of the bearing job. The sensor didn't even want to go back in too good and when I was removing it I bent the little tab where the mounting bolt hole is but it did pull back to normal when I replaced it,, actually I didn't think I did anything to damage the sensor but shortly after I tried the car out the abs light came on and today I checked the code and it shows a (7) as I suspected it would since it worked fine before I did the bearing. I guess I will have to replace the sensor, what I need to know is where is it plugged into the harness? the opposite end of the wire from the sensor end? I can't seem to find it posted anywhere about the location of the connector. also there is a mounting bold that secures the senor wire , I am guessing the connection is somewhere above that and that bold will need to be removed, it lools like there are a couple of connection points but I guess those are just dust boots or something? Thanks Vernon
Old 04-17-2006, 11:39 AM

Been there! It connects under the back seat bottom cushion where you should have removed it first, and then once you had the hub off you probably would have had more luck removing it without damage. Might be a little expensive for a new one.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:25 PM

Thanks for helping me find the connector, I think tomorrow before I order a new sensor, I will double check the air gap between the toner wheel and the sensor, it is possible when I bent the mounting tab that I might have not gotten the sensor close enough to the toner wheel,, probably just wishful thinking but it isn't that hard to check. I think it is supposed to be from .031 to .051 gap... Thanks again...
Old 04-18-2006, 12:38 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayford
Thanks for helping me find the connector, I think tomorrow before I order a new sensor, I will double check the air gap between the toner wheel and the sensor, it is possible when I bent the mounting tab that I might have not gotten the sensor close enough to the toner wheel,, probably just wishful thinking but it isn't that hard to check. I think it is supposed to be from .031 to .051 gap... Thanks again...
You appear to be on the right track. As you have pointed out the sensor is a fairly robust piece of hardware, consting of a wound inductance. You say you think that damage was confined to the bracket.

You can test the sensor by connecting a mulimeter to the two leads from it, with the sensor unplugged from the harness.The resistance of the sensor winding should measure between 80,000 and 1.3,000 ohms. Set the meter to measure millivots AC. When you rotate the wheel, you should be able to measure an output of 200 - 300 MV. If the sensor is not correcty positioned, the resistance will be OK, but not the output AC voltage.

The correct gap is :- 0.5 - 1 mm (0.020 - 0,038 ins,

You appear to know what you doing, so that I may be telling you how to suck eggs ! If so, no offence Otherwise I hope this info. may assist.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 04-18-2006 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Gap meas. added
Old 04-18-2006, 04:29 PM

Hi Trevor, no you certainly didn't offend me, I really don't know a lot about these cars,, what I learn is from this forum or by just tackling the job and see what kind of mess I get myself into.. I was glad to get the information as to how to check the sensor, although I don't know if I can read this meter I have, it is digital and I am not very familar with that type. I was going to test it this evening but I am very tired from work so I might do it tomorrow or in the near future . The brakes work alright other than sometimes they feel hard and then let go back to where they normally go when they are applied. It did look to me like the air gap was greater than the range you stated but I didn't actually pay that much attention to it till I found out that the clearance has to be close. Thanks again. Vernon
Old 04-18-2006, 05:38 PM

Registered SVX
Vernon,

Your thoughtful reply is very much appreciated. Follow your nose and you will get there.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-19-2006, 08:57 PM

Well, I don't know if my abs sensor is gong to work or not, I tried to test it with a meter but as I figured, I couldn't make head or tail from the tester I have so I took the wheel off and checked the sensor again the air gap seemed to be close so I put it back in the hole and put it all back together and took it for a drive, I went maybe 5 miles and the abs light didn't come on , then I had to go to the store which is only a few blocks and on my way home the light came on.... so I figured the sensor was bad,, but then went to the next town from me which is about 5 miles and it never came on and then after I left there and came home it is still not on,, Is there any reason it might come on for a short while to reset it's self or something and then start working???? The thing is, I ordered a new sensor after it came on after the second drive but now I don't know if it will stay working or not?? I would try to cancel the order if it is going to stay working.. I know it might be anyones guess if it will continue to work but in case anyone knows why it would come on once and then stay off please reply ?? thanks , Vernon.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:13 AM

Registered SVX
I would try to cancel the order if it is going to stay working.. I know it might be anyones guess if it will continue to work but in case anyone knows why it would come on once and then stay off please reply ?? thanks , Vernon.[/QUOTE]

Your guess is as good as mine. An intermittent fault is impossible to predict. There could well have been a fault code stored and this has now cleared. Keep your fingers crossed that all is well.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
How's your tone wheel?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:40 AM

The toner wheel looks fine, I had it off and put it back on exactly as it came off, but so far the light is staying off and hopefully it will stay that way because I canceled my order for the new sensor.. Vernon