SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 10-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
there's always the back button.

i'm sure landshark, shadow, and benebob's enjoying the thread. i know i sure am.

Not really, I get bored with fiction... much prefer a good non-fiction read!
Old 10-10-2005, 07:03 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
And people yet again don't read my post and use it as a bump.

I'm even invisible to others on the internet.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebitob
From what I recall Toyota doesn't have an HO engine. And I question whether Toyota's VVTi can even work with a boxer engine.

Am I the only one that thinks Subaru is better off researching twincharged direct injected diesel technology?
They aren't going to use Toyota's wimpy engines, silly, they are going to circumvent the patent process of a new hybrid by slapping a Prius electric motor onto a boxer.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:43 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
They aren't going to use Toyota's wimpy engines, silly, they are going to circumvent the patent process of a new hybrid by slapping a Prius electric motor onto a boxer.
Thats what I was thinking, even though I never thought of the curcumventing the patent part.

The two things Subaru can do is either purchase the patent from Toyota or set up some kind of agreement, perhaps helping update their AWD technology in return. Another thing they can to is re-engineer it a'la Ford.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
No obviously I haven't because obviously you're not well educated about the automotive world as you still drive a GM. I've spent quite a few years working in the industry, going to school studying design at what??? An IVY LEAGUE school????
This post right here is just a classic. I'm tempted to save it and quote you in my AIM profile. I always love to put funny quotes in my profile and this one is better than the one I currently have.

I'm not educated because I drive a GM? Come On!! Even you are better than this!!

I'm supposed to bow to you because you went to an Ivy League school? I had the choice, and decided to save $100g's and get the same education at a state school. So now while you are paying off your school loans, i'm making just as much money, but using the extra that I didn't spend on school for a car, a truck, and a house. Now who's Mr. Smarty Pants?

Quote:
Some of your posts have made sense in the past, this one is soly based on emotion.
[Landshark] Define Irony. [/Landshark]

Quote:
Personally I like the sound of the Camaro and Firebird but would never own one because I don't have enough chest hair or a big enough gold chain. I guess your chain is a little too tight around you neck.
I'm sure you can do better than this. Unless you really are the age that this post makes you sound like you are.

If your posts continue to consist of nothing but personal attacks, I will simply disregard them. Thanks for playing.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Per your source:
"That Toyota is increasing prices by 1% or so is not unusual at all. It's what they've done every year," said Jesse Toprak, senior analyst at Edmunds.com, a consumer auto-data service in Santa Monica, Calif. "That they are doing this while most competitors are cutting prices is unique."
My Point:

"That Toyota is increasing prices by 1% or so is not unusual at all. It's what they've done every year," said Jesse Toprak, senior analyst at Edmunds.com, a consumer auto-data service in Santa Monica, Calif. "That they are doing this while most competitors are cutting prices is unique."
Old 10-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow248
My Point:

I'm sorry, I don't follow. Because they are doing well, they should drop the price since everyone else is dropping their price. :huh: Yeah, I don't understand. They raised their prices by 1% like they normally do. Their sales increased quite a bit from last year and consumer confidence in their product is strong. I'm sorry, I just don't follow. Could you please explain why they should lower their price. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2005, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't follow. Because they are doing well, they should drop the price since everyone else is dropping their price. :huh: Yeah, I don't understand. They raised their prices by 1% like they normally do. Their sales increased quite a bit from last year and consumer confidence in their product is strong. I'm sorry, I just don't follow. Could you please explain why they should lower their price. Thanks!
It's simple. Something more expensive is only worth purchasing if it offers more. There are a few exceptions, but the general public will tend to gravitate towards the cheaper product, unless the expensive one offers sufficiently more to justify it's higher price. With everyone else lowering prices, the gap widens...so it would make sense for Toyota to either freeze prices or lower them to maintain the gap. Instead they decided to raise prices. So this means either that they don't realize that simple economics dictate that they will lose sales this way, or that they don't mind losing sales. We all know Toyota's management is fairly able to make reasonable business decisions, so it seems the latter is the case at this time. Motivation? Up to interpretation as I said. But many experts believe that this move may be totally or partly executed to support competitors and keep the market balance (which in the end would help Toyota immensely). What you get out of it is up to you.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:33 PM

Quote:
It's simple. Something more expensive is only worth purchasing if it offers more. There are a few exceptions, but the general public will tend to gravitate towards the cheaper product, unless the expensive one offers sufficiently more to justify it's higher price. With everyone else lowering prices, the gap widens...so it would make sense for Toyota to either freeze prices or lower them to maintain the gap. Instead they decided to raise prices. So this means either that they don't realize that simple economics dictate that they will lose sales this way, or that they don't mind losing sales. We all know Toyota's management is fairly able to make reasonable business decisions, so it seems the latter is the case at this time. Motivation? Up to interpretation as I said. But many experts believe that this move may be totally or partly executed to support competitors and keep the market balance (which in the end would help Toyota immensely). What you get out of it is up to you.
well we'll see if you are correct when they publish next quarter's sales. so far i don't see them losing market share. gm's gain in sales isn't from toyota's market share, that's for sure if you look at your jd power and associates figures. it's from existing gm owners who traded their cars in for new ones and apparently from ford.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:41 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Wow Shadow... I find that you're comments are usually interesting, and usually have some merit, as long as yours, landsharks and others are taken together, usually at least some truth comes out.

First point: State school does not equal Ivy league school... sorry, try again. You may have done similar programs, and yes, Ivy league schools tend to be over inflated as far as their reputations go. However the damn name on the degree is probably worth another 30K a year over a state school degree. Its just how it works, not to mention that the "Its not what you know, but who you know" adage is more true that most people will even admit.

Second point. Yes, Toyota raised prices... however in the same rate they've been doing it every year. So lets think about the marketing behind this. Company anounces they WILL raise prices... People then decide they need to buy now, rather than later. Company raises prices VERY slightly, and maintains average number of buyers... look at the numbers, Toyota didn't lose any market share over the past 6 months. GM did however sell a fair number of cars, however... how much profit did they make?? (And yes, toyota does gain by keeping GM alive)

So I'm not quite sure where exactly you're trying to go here... admitting that toyota is trying to help GM... while still maintaining sales and markeshare? sounds like a good plan for toyota.

And as far as Toyota's "synergy drive" their hybrid technology goes... its kinda special because they actually have 2 cars you can buy right now with it, however its really not anything out of the ordinary. My company makes a regenerative braking trans for autos, and Alison just released theirs for the transit market. Toyota managed to bring it to market faster, but the technology is really really simple.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 10-11-2005, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
First point: State school does not equal Ivy league school... sorry, try again. You may have done similar programs, and yes, Ivy league schools tend to be over inflated as far as their reputations go. However the damn name on the degree is probably worth another 30K a year over a state school degree. Its just how it works, not to mention that the "Its not what you know, but who you know" adage is more true that most people will even admit.
I didn't say anything like that. What I said is don't expect me to bow to you because you went to an Ivy league school. All that really means is you paid more for an education. If you're a doctor or politician, it makes a difference. If not, you're no better off than anyone else. Here's a good example:

Of my 5 closest friends (we are all close in age):

3 went to state schools, 2 went to Ivy League schools. Of the two that went to the Ivy schools, one got a Chemical Engineering degree, and one got a Political Science and Law degree. The one with the Chem degree spent three years applying and interviewing for jobs, all while paying over $500 a month toward student loans, then finally gave up and took a job as Operations Manager at Dorney Park (about $35k/year salary). The one with the Political Science/Law degree is now an outside rep for Shimano North America, and pulls in about $100k/year. Great salary, sure...only one problem...he could have done it right out of high school and saved $150g's. Of the three guys that went to state schools, they all got jobs in their field, and the lowest paid is making about $38k/year. The highest is making about $65k.

Ivy League education guarantees nothing other than a high price tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
Second point. Yes, Toyota raised prices... however in the same rate they've been doing it every year. So lets think about the marketing behind this. Company anounces they WILL raise prices... People then decide they need to buy now, rather than later. Company raises prices VERY slightly, and maintains average number of buyers... look at the numbers, Toyota didn't lose any market share over the past 6 months. GM did however sell a fair number of cars, however... how much profit did they make?? (And yes, toyota does gain by keeping GM alive)
But you are completely neglecting the rest of the market in this explanation. You MUST take that into consideration. You are speaking simply about Toyota retaining customers. I'm speaking about Toyota not gaining NEW customers, which, if they want to gain market share, is something they need to worry about.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Sorry Shadow, I went to school to get an education not a job so your figures and logic mean nothing to me. If I loose both my houses, all 5 cars, my truck, my cycle and my scooter I'll still have something that can't be taken away. Remember an idiot is still an idiot regardless how much money they have.

You do make me laugh though so I figure I'll let you ponder this since you like figures so much. My income this year will be a big fat ZERO just as it will be next year. Hope you enjoy your day at work. I'm gonna go to the park and watch some tennis with my daughter and maybe read her a story which in my opinion makes all those loans I never took out because I didn't qualify for them so worthwhile.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I didn't say anything like that. What I said is don't expect me to bow to you because you went to an Ivy league school. All that really means is you paid more for an education. If you're a doctor or politician, it makes a difference. If not, you're no better off than anyone else. Here's a good example:

Of my 5 closest friends (we are all close in age):

3 went to state schools, 2 went to Ivy League schools. Of the two that went to the Ivy schools, one got a Chemical Engineering degree, and one got a Political Science and Law degree. The one with the Chem degree spent three years applying and interviewing for jobs, all while paying over $500 a month toward student loans, then finally gave up and took a job as Operations Manager at Dorney Park (about $35k/year salary). The one with the Political Science/Law degree is now an outside rep for Shimano North America, and pulls in about $100k/year. Great salary, sure...only one problem...he could have done it right out of high school and saved $150g's. Of the three guys that went to state schools, they all got jobs in their field, and the lowest paid is making about $38k/year. The highest is making about $65k.

Ivy League education guarantees nothing other than a high price tag.
Wow, Shadow. I'm impressed. I didn't know your friends could pass the bar right out of highschool. Dude that highschool must be something else. Can you please state the name so that we all may send our kids to that highschool?

Ivy League education guarntees nothing more than potential opportunities for a high price tag.

^^^fixed it for you Shadow.

What fields are your other friends working in? The ones that went to a state college? It sounds like your friend the Chemical Engineer is worthless.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Sorry Shadow, I went to school to get an education not a job so your figures and logic mean nothing to me. If I loose both my houses, all 5 cars, my truck, my cycle and my scooter I'll still have something that can't be taken away. Remember an idiot is still an idiot regardless how much money they have.

You do make me laugh though so I figure I'll let you ponder this since you like figures so much. My income this year will be a big fat ZERO just as it will be next year. Hope you enjoy your day at work. I'm gonna go to the park and watch some tennis with my daughter and maybe read her a story which in my opinion makes all those loans I never took out because I didn't qualify for them so worthwhile.
oh my, where can i find a sugarmomma?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX
...and see he does it without having a sugarmomma.....that is the beauty of it. If you paid attention to the things he has said you would know how he does what he does and can show ZERO for it. Come on folks...you don't need to be an accountant for this one....

Ok folks keep the flame war going here...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: