SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-23-2005, 07:31 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Reflection

On Tuesday I was driving along a side street in my SVX when I spotted a parked 92 silver/black. I stopped to look at it because it looked odd for some reason. Turned out that one wheel on each side was on the wrong side. The owner, a fellow in his 20's came over and we chatted about SVX's, he'd just bought it from a dealer for $5500 Cdn. The tranny failed under the 30 day warranty and was replaced. Now he wants to sell it because he's afraid of potential repair bills. I gave him the web site info.

Later in the same day I spotted a red SVX with the wheels on wrong. Up until that day I'd never seen such a thing and it caused me to pause and think.

I bought my SVX back in 92 when they were $40k+(Cdn) and like the car so much I'll probably spend $5000 this year to replace and upgrade my suspension and brakes. Then I want to repaint the entire car. I can't imagine selling it. It's a rare speciality car that looks as modern as the day it was released and I'm sure will become a "timeless classic".

Interesting how different people view this car. Those with a passion like members of this group, and those who just bought one to drive, like any used car, and have not even researched the basics or taken the time to read the manual; have not even looked at their car and queried why the wheels are not the same. I hope the latter don't drive them all into the ground for crusher fodder.

Last edited by SVX_MY_BABY; 06-23-2005 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:19 AM
Go Riders Go!

Send a message via MSN to Canuck
Up here in Canada, the SVX is even more rare. From 92 to 97 thre were only 947 sold!

I fell in love with the SVX for several reasons.

First, when I bought mine, part of the excitement came from the "thrill of the hunt" I had to buy them out of the U.S. and as I was buying them sight unseen, all I had was CARFAX and dealer records to go by (and some help from other forum members). Someone with enough money can go down to a dealership in town and pull out the cheque-book and buy a new Corvette, BMW Z1, Mercedes SL or whatever. But, finding a SVX in decent condition is a bit more of a challenge

Second, it's unique. There were over 250,000 68 Camaros produced, if think I heard that this year alone Ford will producing over 175,000 Mustangs. Regardless of what some people are saying, I feel that these cars ARE a collectable. The very limited production coupled with quality and decent engineering make it more than just a simple rarity.

Second, I have seen a lot of high-value "collectable" cars that don't even come close to the SVX in terms of engineering. Recently on this forum someone was telling me what old Cudas and Challengers were going for in the U.S. While those cars definatley have some power under the hood, the driving experience is similar to that of a lumber-wagon. I just finished driving a SVX from PA to Sask. and it was great. Lots of fun, no fatigue, etc. In my opinion, a good "collectable" car should be more than just rare, or an investment, it should be a car that people like to drive. And face it, for all of us, even though it's a bit egotistical or something, it's kinda fun to watch that guy next to you in the brand new sports car try to figure out what your ride is and where you got it. Whenever a guy in a new Mustang pulls up beside my I roll down my window and say "Those are really nice cars eh? My sister has one." (Actually, my sister has a CrossFire which IS nice)

Third is the SVX "family" As witnessed here on this forum there is a family of SVX owners. Most are willing to help the others out and are always looking for opportunities to get together. With a lot of other cars there is a constant competition to sees whose car is more expensive, newer, faster, shinier or in some cases, has the most bolt-on accessories and the loudest muffler. I don't see all that junk with SVX owners.

Fourth, I don't think anyone should buy an SVX, no matter what the mileage or condition thinking that what they are doing is just buying a turn-key (pardon the pun) car. These cars seem to be somewhat of a hobby. If anyone does any research on these cars before they buy one they buy it going in knowing that there are going to be expenses along the way. Some big like the tranny, othres small or do-it-yourself like the power-steering o-ring or sun-visors. I once heard that here in Canada, a driver should expect to pay $900 a year to maintain a car. I don't see why anyone who wants a rare collectible well-engineered car shouldn't expect to pay a little more. Hey, I once owned a Volkswagon Passat, you want to see an expensive car to maintain, VW wanted $700 Cdn for the drivers side rear-view mirror (complete assembly)!

And lastly, for me, the SVX is a great combination of sport and functionality. Up here in SK I need the AWD in winter, and in summer I want the speed and handling. I don't see any Corvettes on the road here in the winter and I don't think a Ford Explorer is a great thrill ride on a hot summer night. And, with the SVX you get a lot of little extras like the speed-sensing wipers and steering, the coated windsheild, etc. Just little things that were darn good ideas.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth, well looking back maybe it's about $1.25 but I'm just so happy to have one (or two) of these cars, and a hobby, and a collectible and to be a part of the SVX family.
1993 25th Anniversary Edition ~74K #291

I like mine rare.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck
Regardless of what some people are saying, I feel that these cars ARE a collectable. The very limited production coupled with quality and decent engineering make it more than just a simple rarity.
As I recently posted in another thread (which, of course, then immediately died), I think the first step toward true collectible status is for SVX enthusiasts to consider them, and treat them, as such. There will never be much of a market for the SVX because so few even know what they're missing, but it's a rare, classy and beautiful automobile that was ahead of it's time, and there will always be value in those attributes.

dcb
Old 06-24-2005, 07:01 PM

The SVX is a cult car. But I like it.
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 06-26-2005, 07:10 PM

Registered SVX
Want to hear something I think is funny? This guy says to me thoes sport cars are nice, do u put it up for the winter, you don't drive it in the SNOW do you? I laughted and said y not it's all wheel drive. He didn't believe me.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:29 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I have found them to be collectable.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872