Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-20-2005, 11:42 AM

I'd wondered about that bleepin' battery

The battery that came in my SVX when I bought it (11/03) had no date punch, so I had no idea about its age and figured I'd replace it in a year or so. Even marked it in my scheduled maintenance log for November, 2004.

Well, November came and went and the battery had given no hint of complaint, so... of course, I never bought another. Until last Friday.

Stopped at the corner market near my house (which, incidentally, is having a "gas war" with the joint next door; premium is $2.17, opposed to $2.33 everyplace else), got back into the car and turned the key. Yep. There wasn't even enough juice to toot the horn. I enlisted some unlucky guy at the gas pumps to come hook-up to my jumper cables, but it was futile. Even after letting the charge build for several minutes, the engine would barely turn over. Well, if you have to be stranded, it's good to be out of harm's way in a parking lot one-tenth of a mile from home.

I got no warning... no slow starting, no idiot lights, nothing, which leads me to believe (hope) that the alternator's okay. My mechanic, who got his start rebuilding alternators, is giving it a look today.

Observation: Jumping or charging the battery in the car ARMED the OEM security system. This happened both when the fellow tried to get me going Friday, and again yesterday, when I put a battery charger on my new battery. Turned my back, heard the doors lock (no beep) and looked in the window to see the red light flashing. Spooky. Anyone else had this experience?

dcb
Old 06-20-2005, 01:33 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
yeah, it doesn't lock my doors though, it unlocks them. Which makes me believe that if I were to steal an SVX I could simply find a way to pop the hood. Trip the batt to unlock the doors and be on my way after the ignition was also tripped

Tom