Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-03-2006, 09:15 PM

A week ago after one year and 10 days of a new alternator my dash lit up like a Christmas tree. No problem the Subaru dealer installed a new one even though my guarantee had expired by 10 days. So tonight on the way home from fish and chips at the docks it lit up again. Any ideas what could be causing this guys….for tomorrow morning I will be back at the dealers and could use some insite.

Tom

That's a Subaru

Last edited by T.McCaw; 08-03-2006 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:33 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.McCaw
A week ago after one year and 10 days of a new alternator my dash lit up like a Christmas tree. No problem the Subaru dealer installed a new one even though my guarantee had expired by 10 days. So tonight on the way home from fish and chips at the docks it lit up again. Any ideas what could be causing this guys….for tomorrow morning I will be back at the dealers and could use some insite.

Tom
The symptoms you describe indicate an alternator fault which has been reported here many times. However the exact cause is rather obscure and the reason, as far as I am aware, has not been previously analysed and described.

The dash trouble indicator lights test circuit, incorporates blocking diodes to eliminate a sneak circuit which would otherwise exist. In an event involving faults within the alternator rectifier network, alternating current is induced on line. The result is pulses of reverse voltage, dependant on engine revs., which pass the blocking diodes in the test circuit and energise the indicator lights accordingly.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
replacing the front and rear alternator bearings

Hi All,
Thanks to this excellent "how-to" thread, I am preparing to rebuild the alternator in my daughter's '92. One question though, only one bearing is listed on the transpo website. Does this alternator use the same size bearing front and rear?
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 11-26-2007, 07:10 PM
.... what a sweet ride !!

Registered SVX
replacing the front and rear alternator bearings

Gordon - I have the alternator from my latest '92 spread out on the work bench. I got the dreaded "christmas tree" lights on my dash about noon today and I ordered the replacement parts this afternoon. I was wondering about the bearings also. When you split the alternator open the rear bearing is very obvious, but the front one is buried. I think you have to remove the pulley (one big nut holds it on the shaft) and then 4 screws hold the shaft (with the rotor and the front bearing) to the front half of the case.

Both my bearings seem to be very smooth and free. So I'm not going to dig any further on mine - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I'll just replace the regulator and the diodes tomorrow and button it up.

'02 Outback - Wife's car
'96 Legacy Wagon - Son's car
'95 Legacy Sedan - #5 Daughter's car
'93 Impreza Sedan - #4 Daughter's car
'92 Claret LS-L - My car ____________
TOTAL = 595,000 Subi miles
Old 11-27-2007, 10:46 AM

Registered SVX
Thanks for the response! I'm still waiting for my 100 watt soldering iron from Fleabay (shippped 11-12 USPS) I had called my local NAPA, and they didn't have a listing eitherMy front bearing seems ok, so I will just replace rectifier, regulator assem., and rear bearing...
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 11-27-2007, 02:28 PM

PM sent to Gordon

1992 SVX LS-L Pearl White 102,000 miles (Gone)

2005 Evolution 8 SSL Tarmac Black (new daily)

1995 Eclipse GSX Durango Copper Pearl (teh beast)
276awhp/280awtq @ 18psi (560's inj)
260awhp/260awtq @ 17psi (stock inj)
Old 11-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Will pass gas for $$

christmas lights without alt problem

Hi Great info!!! Thanks!!! On my son's 92 we got the same effect except intermittent--blinking so to say and found the starter wire loose---food for thought on others including loose alt wire.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t
Is there anywhere where I can order the parts needed online? I was unable to find any of the websites that have order online capability. Otherwise I guess I am going to have to wait till Monday to order via phone (21st century style).

Lights lit up 30 min ago.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:55 PM
.... what a sweet ride !!

Registered SVX
I have never found a place to get them on-line. The distributors usually have a good system and can get them about as quick as the web. Good Luck and have fun!

'02 Outback - Wife's car
'96 Legacy Wagon - Son's car
'95 Legacy Sedan - #5 Daughter's car
'93 Impreza Sedan - #4 Daughter's car
'92 Claret LS-L - My car ____________
TOTAL = 595,000 Subi miles
Old 01-23-2008, 01:31 AM
My car/My project: red '96 LSi

Thumbs up The Rebuilder in Kent, WA

Thanks, everyone, for the great information!

My alternator just died (and took my battery with it). I had been getting a dim glow from the power steering, battery, stop lamp, brake, and ABS dash warning lights when the engine was at idle, and the air bag light has been randomly blinking on and off (which may or may not be related), so I knew that it was about time to have the alternator's voltage regulator and/or rectifier diodes replaced. See, e.g., http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34652. But because the lights went out when I revved the engine, I figured that whenever I wasn't at idle the alternator was doing its job. Not so much, it turns out. Oops. Lesson learned.

Miraculously, despite the failing alternator and dying battery, my SVX took me from Seattle to Portland on Saturday and back to Seattle on Sunday without a hint of trouble—the headlights suddenly dimmed and the engine gave up the ghost only as I actually reached my destination and parked. I can't imagine I have that much good karma, so there is only one possible conclusion: this is an awesome car. Love it.

But back to the point: I don't rebuild my own alternator, because I've got a great guy who does them for a living. If you live anywhere in the greater Seattle area, I enthusiastically recommend The Rebuilder in Kent to rebuild your alternator. See http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=22102297. His shop is easy to miss if you're not looking for the sign; it's tucked in behind a building off Central Avenue South. But it's worth finding. He works quickly, he's exceptionally open and friendly on the phone and in person, and he charges very little for his work (he stands behind a one-year warranty on it). His fee for a complete rebuild of a 90 Amp SVX alternator (parts and labor) is $125. So if you need an alternator fixed and you are in the area, he's your man.

Last edited by David Cohen; 01-25-2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: confirmed rebuild price
Old 01-23-2008, 10:42 AM

Registered SVX
For those contemplating his rebuild, now that I finished it, it was easy...The alternator I rebuilt is holding up so far...about 1200 mi. The small bearing was difficult to get off, had to grind the jaws of bearing puller to fit..
The parts from Transpo looked good and fit well, but were "made in China".
It turns out the only thing that was wrong with my alternator were that the brushes were worn out (169k)
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 01-23-2008, 03:25 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by processengr View Post
For those contemplating his rebuild, now that I finished it, it was easy...The alternator I rebuilt is holding up so far...about 1200 mi. The small bearing was difficult to get off, had to grind the jaws of bearing puller to fit..
The parts from Transpo looked good and fit well, but were "made in China".
It turns out the only thing that was wrong with my alternator were that the brushes were worn out (169k)
Did you carefully check each diode for forward and reverse continuity? If the fault included illumination of trouble lights, I would expect one or more diode to be faulty.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:06 PM

Registered SVX
I did not check the diodes. When it went into failure mode, it produced a low buzzing/vibration sound,which is what made me notice it.
At first, thought it was an idler bearing or such. Then all of the dash lamps were illuminating just enough to be seen, they were not full on.
Since I've learned a lot about this car from reading the posts on here and yahoo, I suspected it was alternator trouble.
I has assumed it was the brushes, since one was only .22" long, which seemed to be the likely source of the noise...
I had purchased the diode bridge and rectifer with brush assembly, rear bearing as well as a 100W soldering iron prior to dissambly, per this thread, so I was resigned to replacing them whether needed or not...Normally, I am an advocate of test vs. guess.
Now I am curious. You are probably right, maybe the brushes were not the root cause...I will have to test those diodes and get back to you.
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 01-23-2008, 04:22 PM

Registered SVX
Gordon, thanks for the full information.

The dull lights show an alternating current present in the output bypassing blocking diodes in the trouble lamp circuit, usually an indication of diode faults and poor rectification.

It could be that the spring against the brush, or a pigtail was shorting across one segment on the armature, but surely this would have caused a severe tracking and indentation.

The way to go was certainly to replace everything likely to give trouble while doing the overhaul. Good job well done.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:42 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Christmas tree dashboard cure <$55

Well, the rebuilt alternator failed today. I had taken the alternator from the hibernating 97 and put into the daughter's 92. The rebuilt now is in the seldom used 97. Saturday I was driving home with A/C on full blast, lights on, new stereo (17 RMS x 4, not a big system) playing loudly when, all of the dashwarning lamps came on brightly.

It had lasted approximately 1500 miles/ 4+ months. No noise, worked well during that time.

I will be removing alternator for repair. The Transpo rectifier assembly I used had been manufactured in China.

Does anyone know the value of the diodes? I am thinking of replacing just the diodes with some premium brand of diodes (suggestions anyone?)
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
2018 Tesla M3 30k