Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should I get the bronze or regular windshild?
bronze (coated) 9 69.23%
blue/green (non coated) 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2004, 04:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
SVX Windshild Choice

In about a month or so I plan on having my insurance replace my windshild. It looks like its been sandblasted. My question was if I got the non coated windshild (not the bronze one) but the reguar one insted, would the UV rays from the sun end up messing up my interior? I know the people with L's have them but they don't have leather.

I really want to make my radar detector work better. My only other option is to get a detector that mounts in the grill which is going to cost more money. My Whistler DE-1783 does not cut the cake in this car. It worked fine in any other car but the range is cut in half with this one.

So, should I buy the fancy radar detector and keep the nice bronze style windshield (I like it better personally) or get the non coated one and keep my old radar detector?

If there is any chance at all the non coated windshield would allow the interor to get damaged where the other one would not then I will stay with the bronze one.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:51 PM
BoondockSVX

Both colors are coated with a UV filter, the color is not the difference. Earlier SVXs had blue glass all around (not just the windshield), and later ones had bronze.

As for the L model windshield, no it would not mess up your interior, but your radar detector might work better. Good luck trying to find one!
Old 08-04-2004, 04:58 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
If it were me, radar detector performance would take precedence, so I'd go with the non-coated, and put the radar detector up near the top of the windshield.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:20 PM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BoondockSVX
Both colors are coated with a UV filter, the color is not the difference. Earlier SVXs had blue glass all around (not just the windshield), and later ones had bronze.

As for the L model windshield, no it would not mess up your interior, but your radar detector might work better. Good luck trying to find one!
It more depends on the trim level as to the color of the glass...

I have a 93, in fact all 93 have the bronze...
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:43 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
You can get a Phantom 2 Radar/Laser jammer for about$140.00 and a cheap Radar detector is all you need because YOU'RE JAMMIN MAN!!

No offence inted to any of our brothers in blue, I hope you understand.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:50 PM
BoondockSVX

I wouldn't put any faith in a laser jammer. At all.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:23 PM
There's a storm coming.

The science seems sound, http://www.rockymountainradar.com/ I've had it a year now and it seems to work.
A good friend of mine has sped thru speed traps with MD's finest, radar gun in hand, him in an EXPIDITION, 80+ in a 65, with no reaction/responce, other than a ticked off look, both at Matt and the Officers Radar gun.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

I'm so glad I got a JDM SVX with the stealth radar absorbing exterior paint. Never got a ticket!

FYI Speeding is illegal and DOES kill more innocent bystanders annually than street racing. Just a little food for thought for the masses.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
Well, Mr.Ironry has bitten me in the ass. I just got busted for 52 in a 30 zone. I was passing someone who was going less than the speed limit and the cop radared me as I was moving back into the right lane. I had no choice but to speed up to complete the pass as another car was coming in the other lane which was not visable when I started the pass. Either way, it got me a $210 ticket. The radar detector is going in the trash and I'm getting the coated windshield.

The cops around here have started leaving their radar off until they see MY car. Then they turn it on. The cop is the same guy that gave me 2 warnings in my old SVX. He saw the same plates and the same car but a different color. He even remebered he gave me those warnings 6+ months ago (he told me). Must have been my car that tipped him off as I'm only one of 2 people in the area that have an SVX and I've never seen the other one driving around . Either way, he waits for me now before he turns it on. Even when there are other cars around its off until I come around the corner.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:28 PM
There's a storm coming.

In July 1940, a test car managed to do 102 MPH and then Governor Arthur James agreed that the normal statewide limit of 50 MPH would not apply.
This is with a 1940 era automobile.I think our SVX have better steering, brakes, tires and safety standards than the cars of the 40s.
I would belive many more people speed, ( 1 mile over is speeding) than street race, so your assessment though probably correct, is comparing apples to oranges.
The Autobahn has a lower fatality rate per vehicle mile than our American highways.
This is NOT an endorcement of street racing, but of careful, alert highway travel at speeds that make sense.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:28 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
I'm so glad I got a JDM SVX with the stealth radar absorbing exterior paint. Never got a ticket!

FYI Speeding is illegal and DOES kill more innocent bystanders annually than street racing. Just a little food for thought for the masses.

What are the stats on people who drive 5mph under the limit, never use there turn signal, don't come to compleat stops at stop signs, run through red lights, and "travel" in the "passing" lane?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 08-04-2004, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by svxfiles
The science seems sound, http://www.rockymountainradar.com/ I've had it a year now and it seems to work.
A good friend of mine has sped thru speed traps with MD's finest, radar gun in hand, him in an EXPIDITION, 80+ in a 65, with no reaction/responce, other than a ticked off look, both at Matt and the Officers Radar gun.
I'll have to have a chat with my uncle about that as he works in MD as a cop. I don't believe any jammers work. People can say what they want but you can't jam a radar signal without sending out some sort of interferance which would violate the law anyways. But insted of the police busting you, it would be the FCC. And if they say its passive (no transmitting) then its simply snake oil. My uncle says they use laser and that a lot of people just hand him their radar detector and say they don't want it any more after he busts them.

Last edited by Wiz; 08-04-2004 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:08 PM
There's a storm coming.

My uncle says they use laser and that a lot of people just hand him their radar detector and say they don't want it any more after he busts them.
If your uncle uses Laser, of course a Radar detector won't work
A laser/Radar detector recieves a signal, as in you are busted.
A Laser/Radar jammer sends out a light signal, and a series of "chirps"to "confuse" whichever, light for Laser, microwave for Radar.(1.1 gigahertz I think )
Old 08-04-2004, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by svxfiles
My uncle says they use laser and that a lot of people just hand him their radar detector and say they don't want it any more after he busts them.
If your uncle uses Laser, of course a Radar detector won't work
A laser/Radar detector recieves a signal, as in you are busted.
A Laser/Radar jammer sends out a light signal, and a series of "chirps"to "confuse" whichever, light for Laser, microwave for Radar.(1.1 gigahertz I think )
I'm aware of that. He just said radar detector, thats the general term. Most of them pick up laser. His point was, even though you have a detector, by the time you get the signal with laser your screwed.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:22 AM
BoondockSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak

What are the stats on people who drive 5mph under the limit, never use there turn signal, don't come to compleat stops at stop signs, run through red lights, and "travel" in the "passing" lane?
The man speaketh truth! Too bad that cops don't ever pull people over for things like this, they're too busy busting those 'nasty' speeders.