SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2004, 07:53 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Angry hmph!

So, this weekend my buddy and I (mostly my buddy) fabricated a Y-pipe to fit where the main cat goes. It bolts right in. It's pretty sweet. Anyway, I made it so that I could take out my center cat and see if it was making racket under there. I have a buzz that is either exhaust or, so I've been told, transmission. I figured the cat was easier to test than the transmission. The idea was that should the noise go away with the Y-pipe installed then the cat was the culprit.

So, i spent a total of 1-2 hours working under a jack to get the cat out and the y-pipe in, not to mention an hour of hacking together a Y-pipe. In the end, there is still a noise. Don't know if it's the same noise, though. I watched the y-pipe as I revved the engine. There seemed to be lots of movement in the exhaust system. I figure the noise could be gaskets not sealing correctly??? Could my rubber hangers be no good after 13 years? I'm sick and tired of this noise!! If it's in the tranny, what could it be? I've screwed with this stupid buzz for a good 2 years now. And, FYI, I don't have a bad resonator...I don't even have a resonator. I have KC cat back.

Any suggestions? I don't know what else to do. I'm thinking my next step is to get new gaskets, spring bolts, and center cat????

-Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 08-01-2004, 09:50 PM
BoondockSVX

I'm in the same boat. Keep us updated.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:09 AM
Da'Cheat

I had the same problem when I first got my SVX. I traced the problem to the heat shields on the exaust vibrating at idle to about 2k rpm. I removed all the heat shields and used heat matting to cover the cats. This got rid of the annoying buzzing noise. It might work for you also.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:31 AM

I use to take a crowbar or something to "bend" alittle on the exhaust system while another person rev's the engine.

In that way you could easily find the "buzzing" section.

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 08-02-2004, 01:07 PM

Not the shields

I've already tested the shields too. It's not them. In fact, I have since put them back on since I live in NM and don't feel like starting any fires.

Sonar, what's this crowbar talk all about? How would I do that, and what would it show me? I'll try it if you tell me how to do it.

-Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 08-02-2004, 01:17 PM

Ok, I'll try to explain but my english really sux

IF the sound you are hearing, is a "resonance" sound, like a heatshield or a resonator falling apart, then you can "stop" the resonance by holding or "bending" on the part resonating ...
And the easiest thing to use is some "pole" or likewise, and slightly bend on diffrent places on the exhaust, and when you "hit" the right spot, the sound varies or dies out.

...eeh... understandable..??.... aoo..ouch...stop hitting me...I'll learn...I'll learn....

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 08-02-2004, 03:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to zamorush Send a message via Yahoo to zamorush
Registered SVX
my 2 cents,

I've had exaclty the same problem, really annoying. Since my dad has lots of experience working with subarus, he knew the problem.

There is a little muffler that is connected to pipes before the actual muffler. http://www.subaruparts.com/subaru.diag/2A/i440A-1.gif it is 44201. Now inside that thing, there is a metal plate that goes along. This plate is not welded very good, so after a while the back part breaks out and start to resonate back and forth. That is what creating a noise.

My solvency, take apart the exhaust, (the little muffler) and either get rid of that plate or weld it back together. The only problem is, that when you break open the exhaust, you need to weld it back together. I took the exhaust off, and gave it to the shop. They fixed the problem. It is working fine now.

Hope i could help.

nik
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

Alternative Ways of getting around
2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9
Old 08-02-2004, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the Input Zamorush, but that sounds like the resonator problem many people have in the stock exhaust sytem. As I said, I have an aftermarket cat back system...I no longer have the resonator. I'm gonna play with it on Wednesday with Collin and Greg. It'll be a mini SVX meet tryin to diagnose all our problems. *sigh*

-Mat

Old 08-02-2004, 11:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to zamorush Send a message via Yahoo to zamorush
Registered SVX
Quote:
Thanks for the Input Zamorush, but that sounds like the resonator problem many people have in the stock exhaust sytem. As I said, I have an aftermarket cat back system...I no longer have the resonator. I'm gonna play with it on Wednesday with Collin and Greg. It'll be a mini SVX meet tryin to diagnose all our problems. *sigh*

-Mat
Oh, ic, sorry, did not catch that it was aftermarket. Well, good luck with it anyway.

nik
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

Alternative Ways of getting around
2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9
Old 08-03-2004, 11:28 AM

noise

Cracked flex plate can sound just like a heat sheild rattle!
Old 08-03-2004, 01:28 PM

Flex plate is part of what? Where is it? Can I check it without doing major surgery?

Old 08-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Nope, flex plate is between the engine and tranny. There is an inspection hole on the top-rear of the engine on the passenger side (rubber plug) but I doubt you would see anything through there.