Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
Crackers:

Seein's how your from Georgia, I would think that you'd be offended. Either by the term, or the fact that it's associated with criminals. Where has our ability to tolerate gone?
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 03-09-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Seein's how your from Georgia, I would think that you'd be offended. Either by the term, or the fact that it's associated with criminals. Where has our ability to tolerate gone?
Well here in Georgia, we accept who we are. A state built of criminals from the finest of English prisons. Driving by the Federal Penn. just brings tears to Georgian eyes.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
I guess a prank like that is perfectly legal and harmless.
So how'd your surgery go? The one where they removed your sense of humor... how'd it go? I mean, I can tell it was successful and everything, but do you feel alright without it?

- Rob
Old 03-09-2004, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

So how'd your surgery go? The one where they removed your sense of humor... how'd it go? I mean, I can tell it was successful and everything, but do you feel alright without it?

- Rob
Actually they upgraded my my humor chip to the 2601, slightly better than the 2600. Sorry if I can't differentiate some of your statements as humor and when sometimes you are trying to apply b.s. Maybe you can add j/k or the word joking to the bottom of your post just to be sure everyone knows without a hint of doubt that you meant to be funny. I do it sometimes if it seems like my statement maybe mistaken for something serious.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:53 AM
Sue isn't really striped

Are you saying that the explanation was a joke or that the switch is what should be funny?
Old 03-10-2004, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alcyone

Are you saying that the explanation was a joke or that the switch is what should be funny?
See Mr. Robert. Another victim of the Chicane Humor.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Quote:

See Mr. Robert. Another victim of the Chicane Humor.
I would just like to ask one question to Cash... Please tell me one positive thing that a hacker has done... other than invade privacy, interrupt commerce, create expense, disrupt life, waste time... (Lots of time…) Someone will have to quote his answer as I still have him ignored.

I want to thank all of the people that are working (fighting hackers) to keep us up. Life would be hellish without being able to read and interact with most of you though a forum like this.
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 03-10-2004, 02:55 PM

Hackers also violate the law. If they got their own equipment and tried to hack their own stuff or gotten written consent from whoever they wanted to 'learn' about their system, then they would free from Johnny Law. If they choose to do it without consent at the expense of other's systems, then they violate the law. The FBI has been very helpful in clearing that up. Take it from someone who has dealt with them before .

Watched a poor hacker who tried to gain access to Delta Airline's system go to jail. Dummy. We watched him gain access after weeks of trying, then we sent the FBI after him. Doesn't matter his intent, once he was in, he was a perp.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:25 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi

I would just like to ask one question to Cash... Please tell me one positive thing that a hacker has done... other than invade privacy, interrupt commerce, create expense, disrupt life, waste time... (Lots of time…) Someone will have to quote his answer as I still have him ignored.

I want to thank all of the people that are working (fighting hackers) to keep us up. Life would be hellish without being able to read and interact with most of you though a forum like this.
Hackers do not invade privacy, corrupt bla bla bal and all the other ignorant crap you just spouted. CRackers do. In fact, you're so completely ignorant and unaware of the hacker community I don't think I'm even going to bother. If you really want to find out what they do, why they are good, why they help make things better, and why the hacker community is friendly, curious and very fun, find out for yourself. Here's a start: www.2600.com

- Rob

PS: Also... one question: Do you believe LEGAL= RIGHT and ILLEGAL=WRONG? Or do you think for yourself what right and wrong truly is, and notice a discrepency in the laws? It's up to us to CHANGE the laws to fit our beliefs, NOT change our beliefs to fit into the current legal system- if you did that you'd just be a mindless drone programmed by the media...

Last edited by Chicane; 03-10-2004 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:32 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Hackers also violate the law. poor hacker who tried to gain access to Delta Airline's system go to jail. Dummy. We watched him gain access after weeks of trying,
Guess what? Because he was exploring, not necessarily gaining access to cause mayhem, Delta's system is NOW more secure and doesn't have gaping security holes. It sounds like it was a kid who didn't know much, and if someone like THAT can get into Delta's system, it shows you how poorly it was setup in the first place.

Read this, maybe you'll start to have an inkling of understanding:

http://aux.stedwards.edu/newc/capsto...kers/page3.htm

- Rob
Old 03-10-2004, 08:26 PM

Quote:

Guess what? Because he was exploring, not necessarily gaining access to cause mayhem, Delta's system is NOW more secure and doesn't have gaping security holes. It sounds like it was a kid who didn't know much, and if someone like THAT can get into Delta's system, it shows you how poorly it was setup in the first place.

Read this, maybe you'll start to have an inkling of understanding:

http://aux.stedwards.edu/newc/capsto...kers/page3.htm

- Rob
You know Rob, you are absolutely right. I'm a total ignoramus. I don't even know why I'm so stupid. I would like to apologize for my ignorance. Can you do me a favor Mr. Robert X. Please fill in the following:

First Name: Robert
Last Name: _________
Spouse's Name: ________
Address: __________________
City: ______________
State: _____________
Telephone number: _____________
Cellular phone number: _________
Bank Name: __________
Bank Account Number: ____________

I going to learn how to become a 'HACKER' not a 'CRACKER'. Fear not, I just want to see what makes you tick and what makes your wife tick. I want to see what foods you have in the fridge, what movies you watch, what music you listen to, what color underwear you and your wife wears, how often you have sex, how much money you have in your bank account, how much you make, what color curtains you have, the color of your carpet, brand of soap you use, pictures of your family and friends....

I want to aspire to be not only an electronics hacker, but a personal lifestyle hacker. I'll need that to find out all the goodies about you. I promise I won't steal or destroy any belongs in your house. I have no intent of hurting you or your wife. I will find my own way into your homes.

Thank you for your time Mr. Robert. I hope to be seeing you soon. Please help a fellow hacker and avid 2600 reader. I'll be epecting to see your information soon. Thanks!

Hacker extraordinaire.

PS - remember to not press charges when I pop out of your closet or crawl out from under your bed when you lovebirds are intimate.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Excerpt from Mr. Robert X's website

They hack into this public network primarily for the intellectual challenge, to gain knowledge of how things work. And they share this knowledge. This sharing of knowledge is one of their hacker ethics--a set of rules that (true) hackers live by.

When (true) hackers hack into systems, they are very careful not to change anything; they only want the technical knowledge of the hack:
I agree totally. I want to hack into Mr. Robert's home and life primarily for the intellectual and physical endurance challenges, to gain knowledge of how Mr. Robert X works and thinks. And I will share this knowledege with the world that has so misunderstood Mr. Robert X. This sharing of knowledge is one of their hacker ethics -- a set of rules that (we, the true) hackers live by.

When I (an aspiring true) hacker hack into Mr. Robert's life, I will be careful not to change anything; I only want the knowledge of Mr. Robert X's life and share the information gained with others that are interested in Mr. Robert X's wonderful life.

Hacker extraordinaire.

Last edited by Noir; 03-10-2004 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:43 PM

To the moderators and members of subaru-svx.net, I hope that this post will not be deleted. I'm just using another method of explaining Mr. Robert's point. The prior post was not meant to be a personal attack. If anyone took offense to the prior post, I apologize.

Thank you for your time and for reading this post.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:47 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Noir, you're beginning to piss me off. You constantly disagree with me, but I don't think it's because you have a different opinion. Instead it seems to be a personal vendetta to just disagree with me for the sake of disagreeing with me. In any event, thank you for completely proving me correct- that you really are ignorant. Hackers are the people who are fighting for your personal privacy 24-7. Ever heard of Tivo? They record what you watch, when you watch it, and how many times. Tons of information is pulled from your Tivo box about your specific viewing habits and sent to the parent company. They fight public surviellence, the patriot act, and inform the public of their rapidely eroding rights every single day. So maybe instead of making more stupid remarks and only digging the hole deeper, how about you try to have an open mind, and listen to off the hook. You might learn something. Of course, you probably won't. In the remote chance that you ever do get curious, here's the link

http://www.2600.com/offthehook/

Click on old shows or new shows, in the upper right hand corner. Anyway, I'm sick of all this ignorance. Hackers do not spy on personal information, steal your files, write virii, or harm society. It's quite apparent your brain has already been programmed by the media, and you won't change it, so... whatever. I'm through with you.

- Rob
Old 03-10-2004, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Noir, you're beginning to piss me off. You constantly disagree with me, but I don't think it's because you have a different opinion. Instead it seems to be a personal vendetta to just disagree with me for the sake of disagreeing with me.
I'm sorry you feel that way. I was just trying to illustrate a point. My point being, whether the intent of the hack was the intent of intellectual understanding or malicious CRacker motives, it doesn't make it 'OK'. Most businesses would agree with me. I'm speaking on behalf of the companies that are being attacked because it is their money and their system.

Quote:
In any event, thank you for completely proving me correct- that you really are ignorant. Hackers are the people who are fighting for your personal privacy 24-7. Ever heard of Tivo? They record what you watch, when you watch it, and how many times.
I personally do not know the motives of the the so called 'hackers'. Whether their goals are noble or ignoble is a matter of opinion. I do not know the whole story of the issue regarding Tivo, but if they purchased the Tivo box and hacked it, they own the Tivo, so that is justified. It is their property and can choose the fate of that particular item. I'm talking about companies with an internet prescence or this forum in particular. Something that someone else owns and not the average joe 'hacker'.

Quote:
Tons of information is pulled from your Tivo box about your specific viewing habits and sent to the parent company. They fight public surviellence, the patriot act, and inform the public of their rapidely eroding rights every single day.
I do not own a Tivo because I do not watch TV. My opinion is definitely different from yours. Funny thing is I just recommended to a very prestigious subdivision board of installing public surveillence into their subdivision. What's my intent? To provide a safe neighborhood, to increase the police-call response time, and to record the activities of someone trying to do harm to their community. Will they lose some privacy? Yup. Homes in this subdivision range between $600k-$900k. Unfortunately, recently a few vehicles have been stolen in the past 3 weeks along with a broad daylight breaking and entering at 8:30am in the morning by a man in a suit wearing a baseball cap. They broke in while the wife of the house was just getting up. Luckily she called the police after she heard sounds and barricaded herself in her room. Who knows what may have happened. I'm for privacy, but sometimes you must do something you don't like to protect the lives of the ones you care about. For instance, the patriot act may not be the best method to help protect this nation, but it help prevent some things that maybe bad. Nothing ever comes out perfectly the way we want, so unless we come up with a better solution than the patriot act, then we have to bear with it. I don't know about you, I want to protect the people I care about and I'll take whatever necessary measures to do so. Even eliminating the threat before it takes place.

Two other examples of successfully implementing public surveillence is Buckhead, GA and Ibor City, Tampa. The crime level has gone down and the perps that are stupid enough to break the law have a much, much higher chance at being arrested.

We have to compromise what rights we want and what type of lifestyle we want. Give a little privacy to gain a little security. You got any better suggestions?

Quote:
It's quite apparent your brain has already been programmed by the media, and you won't change it, so... whatever. I'm through with you.
Sorry Mr. Robert X, my brain has not been programmed by the media. I'm only speaking from my point of view based off information that I uncovered myself. Someone trying to gain access into a network system whether for 'hacking' knowledge or 'cracking' knowledge is not justifible. That's my point. I don't care if they are a 'hacker' or 'cracker'. If I'm guilty of being programmed by the media, then you are just as guilty of being programmed by you beloved 'hackers'.

Last edited by Noir; 03-10-2004 at 09:23 PM.