How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-17-2003, 10:03 AM
vikesfandan

Unhappy Fully Reclined....Help!

Last night while waiting to meet-up with the wife and kids, I reclined my seat, hoping to catch a Z or two as I was a little early. I have a '92 LS-L with power seats. About 1/4 of the way back up, the seat stopped! The switch still works to go down, which sucks in a way because then I put it a few inches further back, making it even worse! It will not make any motor noise at all when using the switch in the up mode. So now I am stuck in a fully reclined position! Any suggestions?????
Old 10-17-2003, 11:14 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Sounds like a bad switch to me. I am not very familiar with the SVX power seats...I have manual. I am living in Valparaiso, pretty close to south bend. maybe I could help take a look sometime.

Collin

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 10-17-2003, 02:57 PM
gcookaustin

Mine does this too. Try pressing the button while you're not sitting in the seat.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:01 PM
vikesfandan

Tried that several times, even pushing and pulling in every direction in an effort to coax it up. Since it stopped on it's way up, I'm thinking that somehow the motor seized up. Although, I would think that it would still make some kind of noise when actuating the switch. Yours simply goes up by not being in the seat though huh?
Old 10-17-2003, 03:41 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Try pulling the lever

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 10-19-2003, 07:15 AM
vikesfandan

I'm not sure if you're joking or simply stating the obvious. To be able to get it to work, I pulled the lever (I'm assuming you meant the vertical lever on the side) to get the seat back up to a normal position and put a box behind the seat so that it can't go back when I sit in it. I hate having to use it jerry-rigged, too nice of a car to start crap like that. Will have to do though until I figure it out. I took the seat out last night to get a better look at what is going on.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:05 AM

he's not joking...my passager side seat was really giving me an issue...finially i fiddled around with the handle on the side of the top of the seat and the seat finally worked correctly. i felt like such a dumbarse when i finially figured it out...oh well, it works now ...for someone else

Kelli

is there a fuse for that seat too?
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:08 AM
vikesfandan

I fixed it!!! The switch contacts had become coroded, almost looking like carbon build up. I took the switch apart, scraped the contacts clean and I'm back in business. I took some digital pics while doing it, to be able to archive the process for future reference by others. Me not being much of a mechanic, I am still fully puffed up from what I consider to be a major mechanical victory. My wife was quite surprised as well, she was already asking me how much for a new seat!
Old 10-21-2003, 07:35 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
he's not joking...my passager side seat was really giving me an issue...finially i fiddled around with the handle on the side of the top of the seat and the seat finally worked correctly. i felt like such a dumbarse when i finially figured it out...oh well, it works now ...for someone else

Kelli

is there a fuse for that seat too?

That one was funny.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 10-21-2003, 07:38 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Try everything. If everything fails, there are 5 bolts that bolts that seat on. Use a 14mm socket and remove the bolts and seat. You will see a power connector. There will be 6 pins on the connector. Touch each point with 12V+ and black ones with 12V-. Your motors should move. Now see if you have power comming in to your incoming connection. If not, you killed your fuse and shorted it out.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!