How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Gyro

Suprise SVX Sighting - Photo

Hi guys. My first post here (hope you don't mind), but I've been lurking on and off for a while. I see allot of sighting posts, so I thought I'd post mine since it was an unusual place and I had pics.

What made it surprising is that it was in Japan. Yea, it's made there, but you don't see many older cars there. Much less rare ones in the country side (I was far north from Tokyo in Yamagata City). I was in my hotel waiting for a phone call and doing some people (babe) watching when quite a familiar looking car stopped for a traffic light. Fortunately I had my camera handy and snapped off a couple shots...

Looks like '95 or older? Note the hub caps.

Pulling away
http://www.e-helis.com/Jap_svx2.jpg

Not a SVX, but a Subaru dealer with models not seen in the US

Saw a new '05 Legacy on the lot as well.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:57 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
BACKWARDS WHEELS, WHOOT.

finally, i get the be the first to say it!

Your "hint" doesnt count as saying it, so i still win!

(and they're not hubcabs, they're actual rims )
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 10-14-2003, 06:13 AM
mimocurry

Nice "spy" shot, hee hee.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:28 AM
ww111

Not so fast...

http://www.e-helis.com/Jap_svx.jpg

One is right and one is wrong (left?) on the same side. Now THAT'S different.

Collins 92 pearlie
Old 10-14-2003, 11:23 AM
01kickerlaidsvx

Talking where was the surprise?

what's up gyro,where in ft.worth are u? where did u get the pics of that svx and the subaru dealer? doesn't look like the subaru automall in arlington thats 4 sure.I've seen subaru dealersips like that overseas in germany and throughout asia..I am in the middle east right now in doha, Qatar and I wish I had a digital camara cause I just seen my first SVX in this country and it was tight!!!but I have a house in ARLINGTON and one of my best svx partners is from the DFW...he had a yellow 93 lsl w/ a custombuilt bullettproof tranny but his girl smashed it an now he is saving to build a new one. his name is eric " smoke " rauch...he is a great guy with lots of svx knowledge...my svx has recently been sponsored by RacerXmotorsports and she's in the shop getting preped 2 shock the industry and rep. us SVX lovers! so b on the look out...the stereo's system custom work, paint & bodywork will b completed in plano. I'm workin with a transmission shop in nashville,tn. for the 5sp conversion..Welcome to the svx network !
Old 10-15-2003, 07:01 AM
Gyro

Well, I was surprised.

Yes, I meant to say rims, was up late.

01kickerlaidsvx,

I took the photos myself while in Japan. Lots of interesting (and unusual) cars there not seen in the states. Most tend to be small-ish since the roads there are really narrow and parking is tight.

That reminds me. American cars are pretty rare there, but one I saw had me laughing. Some young kid with spiked & dyed hair was pimping BIG TIME in a Buick Roadmaster! Yes those giant station wagons (even by US standards) popular with grand parents. Not only that, it had lowered springs, was completely white, and had a body kit (aero kit, whatever you call them) all around it. It even had the steering wheel on the left side (wrong for Japan). He drove by too fast to snap a picture, though. I don't know how he got around without taking out all the cars in the opposite lanes.

I've met the guy with the Yellow '93. It used to be black, right? In fact I think I've met you as well. I'm the guy in Ft. Worth with the Blue '94 Ls-l. I think I went over your house once. In fact I might need you guys help, my driver's side window just stopped working...
Old 10-15-2003, 09:45 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Well, I was surprised.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gyro

I've met the guy with the Yellow '93. It used to be black, right?
If it was a '93, it had to have been red first. There were so many '92s left over that Subaru only built 301 '93s for the US, and all were Barcelona Red 25th Anniversary models.

Welcome to the club, and thanks for the photos from Japan! Can we have them in a higher resolution?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-15-2003, 09:52 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hi Gyro

Thanks for the pictures. I noticed that the wing sits back pretty far on that SVX. More so than our USA versions.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:58 AM

Being a newcomer here I know its probably been said before. Arn't they Ozy wheels, they turn the other way.

Tom

That's a Subaru
Old 10-15-2003, 10:32 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Hi Gyro

Thanks for the pictures. I noticed that the wing sits back pretty far on that SVX. More so than our USA versions.
If you look closely... its the JDM Spoiler...
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:42 AM
01kickerlaidsvx

Talking I remember u now,

yeah that's right his was originally black and it was a 94' lsl not a 93', my mistake so what's good? I take it the ol' driverside window botton on that master switch just died huh? well I have one but it's in storage in Dallas and I'm in the middle east but...let me find eric "smoke_svx" phone # and he may either still have one on his or he may know a junkyard that may still have one...nope, I don't have it with me it's in the rear but I'll find it and shout it too you a.s.a.p...I remember that day you were at my house now.I finished the engine rebuild successfully but the tranny didn't last a week before it blew up in nashville,tn when I was driving to brooklyn,new york from Arlington, tx..good 2 hear from u though...
Old 10-15-2003, 10:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by T.McCaw
Being a newcomer here I know its probably been said before. Arn't they Ozy wheels, they turn the other way.

Tom
Funny, but no. His rear wheels are just on backwards.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-15-2003, 07:57 PM
Gyro

OK. I've changed the links to show the full size image with no cropping. Should look better now.

The problem with the window in not the switch. I can hear a slight whirring when I press the button. So I think something got off track. It happened when I got back from the trip. I tried to roll the window down to pay for the parking and heard a "pop" and no movement. I plan to take the door panel off, just haven't had the time. The window slowly moves down over a couple days and I have to pull it up occasionally.

Sorry to hear about your tranny.

I also posted a couple more car pics:

Not sure who makes it, but it reminded me of a cross between a Volkswagon Beetle and Thing:

These tiny, boxy cars like these were everywhere (some pretty goofy looking, IMHO).
Old 10-15-2003, 09:24 PM
Certified Porschephile

That's what they call maximizing available interior space!!!!!! I still think the Skyline GT-R (R34) is the best car ever to come out of Japan. The WRX STi I would put second, definatly over the Evo. My I wish I had money dream was to take an 86 or 87 Brat and put a complete WRX drivetrain in it. Not quite as big as a Baja (Like them), but WAAAAAYYYYYY faster!!!!!! We need more Japan field shots. A Legacy Blitzen would be appriciated. In red of course!!!!! You guys have any thoughts/experiences with the Forester XT (aaaaggghhhh it's back!!!!!!)???

Dan
Old 10-15-2003, 09:26 PM
Certified Porschephile

Wife just read it, and didn't get the last part. I meant the XT nomenclature making a comeback! I would like to hear from someone who drove one.

Dan