Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2003, 06:04 PM

<<The SVX engines out do not make as much horsepower as the new WRX engines, but they are capable of much more.>>

???The 92-97MY SVX engine puts out 230 HP. The 2002-2003MY US WRX puts out 228 HP.??? And the WRX engine is made for a turbo the SVX is not.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxpert
<<The SVX engines out do not make as much horsepower as the new WRX engines, but they are capable of much more.>>

???The 92-97MY SVX engine puts out 230 HP. The 2002-2003MY US WRX puts out 228 HP.??? And the WRX engine is made for a turbo the SVX is not.
Right, but to create that kind of power, the EJ20 is turbocharged. The EG33 in the SVX gets a little more power without the aid of forced induction.

Therefore, the 3.3L is not nearly as close to its limits as the 2.0L.

Not that 226hp is close to the EJ20's limit...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-11-2003, 11:59 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Right, but to create that kind of power, the EJ20 is turbocharged. The EG33 in the SVX gets a little more power without the aid of forced induction.

Therefore, the 3.3L is not nearly as close to its limits as the 2.0L.

Not that 226hp is close to the EJ20's limit...
As we all know, the H6 has tons of theoretical potential but little practical potential in the HP department due to low production and interest by aftermarket companies. The 2.0, while potentially less potent than the H6, has tons more practical power due to the wealth of aftermarket HP goodies and can easily and cheaply surpass the H-6 in the power department. I believe that is why SVXPERT suggested it and I happen to agree with him. Not to mention the lower weight of the engine, more compact size, more after market parts, lower cost...shall I go on?

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
As we all know, the H6 has tons of theoretical potential but little practical potential in the HP department due to low production and interest by aftermarket companies. The 2.0, while potentially less potent than the H6, has tons more practical power due to the wealth of aftermarket HP goodies and can easily and cheaply surpass the H-6 in the power department. I believe that is why SVXPERT suggested it and I happen to agree with him. Not to mention the lower weight of the engine, more compact size, more after market parts, lower cost...shall I go on?
No need - I fully agree with you, which is why I voted as I did in your poll.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-16-2003, 08:36 PM
L1P1

Re: Re: Mid-Engine SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Still, as much as I love this engine, I don't know why you'd use one in a homebuilt mid-engine car. It's not very common, and since it's so flat you're going to have problems designing a rigid chassis around it. Why not use a more common V6 that you can get parts for more easily? A transverse V6 with transaxle would even provide you a very compact powerplant that might be easier to design a frame around.
Well, the whole point is weight distribution. The Porsches are still kicking tail today based on a 30-year-old basic design. A couple of years ago I was looking at Fieros with V8 conversions. But being a big CART, Lemans and F1 fan, it's clear that longitudinal is the way to go. My original idea was a 1.8L turbo L4, but as soon as I did a search on eBay for 'transaxle', I found I really liked was Subaru was doing.

The idea is to pick the best bang-for-the-buck drive train and fit a chassis design to it. And from looking at remanufactured engine sites, it appears that the SVX engines are even more available than the new WRX types and a heckuvalot cheaper than Porsche parts.

BTW, although I may never follow through on this deal, it appears I may have had some effect. This fellow runs a site dedicated to building his dream car and has a drivetrain comparison spreadsheet. I humbly suggested including the Subarus and he's replied that it's done (don't know if he's put it up yet though).

http://www.statikdesign.com/scratchbuilt/index.html
Old 02-16-2003, 08:52 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Some time ago I saw a basket-case Lotus Europa on ebay with a good body. The first thing I thought was, "Yesss, SVX!"

Real light car, and even the Coventry-Climax Twin Cam had only like 120~130 hp, right? It rocked with that!

Whatever happens, your project doesn't sound like a complete waste of time. Keep us posted.

'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>