Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 02-16-2015, 09:37 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
High Powered bulbs for fog lights?

I was driving a few nights ago really noticing that there is hardly any point to having fog lights on my car. Foggy nights are pretty rare here. What would be nice on Wyoming's long empty stretches of highway is super bright bulbs- like off road lights- in place of the fog lights for spotting suicidal animals waiting to leap to their death in front of my car.

Something beyond high beams.

Does anyone know if there is such a high powered bulb that'd fit and is the existing reflector adequate?
Old 02-16-2015, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: High Powered bulbs for fog lights?

I use H3 5000K HID lamps in my car. Lots of light on the ground and ahead

I disconnected my l projector low beams in the winter Great in snowy weather. Fog Lights are low enough not to reflect the snow into the windshield. Bright enough to be seen easily by oncoming drivers with no glare. Better viability.

High beams act normally

Look through my locker HERE

Some members have put in HIDs in their high beam positions. Insane amount of light, but not focused and scatters everywhere. Oncoming drivers would hate you. Could work for you in tour situation

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 02-16-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:00 AM

Registered SVX

I have the HIDs behind the projector lenses and they're great. I had to turn down the angle, though, to not inspire road rage.

The HID projectors pointed high enough would do the job but I can't have that unless I can shut it off for oncoming traffic.

Thanks, will check your locker.

Edit:

Not sure what I have behind projectors. I have HID high beams, had my headlights redone- I'll have to look back. Not a lighting expert.

Last edited by WYOSVX; 02-16-2015 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Incorrect
Old 02-16-2015, 10:37 AM

Registered SVX

Whew! Not much for keeping my SVX folder organized but I do have one and did find my ProLightz receipt.

SVXCESS, I like how your fog lights look and need light cast far and wide for seeing wildlife by the roadside. I don't suppose the reflector for the fog lights would focus its light the way I'd like it to since that's not what it's built for.

I have 4300k Morimoto 9006 HID bulbs, new projector lenses, Morimoto 3Five ballasts, relay.

Maybe I'll just angle my lamps a little higher.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:52 PM

Yeah, you're not going to get what you want out of those reflectors without some major headlight surgery... a bulb won't change the beam pattern.
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
2012 KTM 200 XC-W
Old 03-05-2015, 09:40 AM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

Oh, this thread makes my brain hurt and the engineer in me shed a tear. Let’s start with the WYOSVXs original post.

If you want to repurpose the fog lamp, you will need to remove the fluting from that portion of the headlamp lens. The textured bit of the lens is designed to bend the light from a filament-style bulb and direct it down on the ground, near the front of the car. If you want a pencil-beam in that location, no amount of HID/re-aiming/higher-wattage bulb will change the physics of the fluted lens. To answer your questions, yes, there are options to improve the lighting, and no, the existing reflector/lens is not adequate.

In Washington state and several other states, it is illegal to install “HID retrofit” kits in your car, and for good reason. For the same reasons your fog lamp’s reflector and lens are inadequate for a pencil-beam, the low beam projector in the SVX headlamp is designed for a filament-style bulb. The way light is emitted from a filament is a fundamentally different shape than HID bulbs (a straight line vs. an arc of electricity). By putting a HID retrofit kit in place of a filament bulb, the light emitted will be scattered all over the place, not at all where the design engineers expected it to be. This is why you have to re-aim headlamps after installing HIDs. NOT because they put out so much more light (they can) but because all that light is unfocused and misdirected. By re-aiming the lamps, you are taking light off the horizon (where it is most effective at night) and aiming it down right in front of your car (where it does you no good at all and actually hurts your night vision, and therefore reduces your reaction time).

Same deal with HIDs in the high beams. Instead of a tightly focused beam waaaaaay down the road, you are shooting light off into outer-space and down onto the road in front of the car.

gearheadE30 is right, to get any sort of improvement out of our headlamps, you essentially need to surgically install HID-specific projectors. It is not that expensive to do yourself (especially after you factor in how many sets of cheap Chinese HID retrofits you will end up buying over the years, figure $2-400 in parts for your typical HID conversion). I plan to install HID projectors in my German, glass headlamps once I get back to working on the SVX.

I would NEVER put a re-based HID bulb in my car, it is a FAIL on every level. There is no point to try to justify it, it’s illegal in several states and dangerous to you and other drivers.

I'm not trying to bash you guys who have already retrofitted your SVXs, just trying to let anyone who stumbles across this in the future know the truth about this subject.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com
http://www.lightwerkz.net
Old 03-08-2015, 11:00 AM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

HIR bulbs are a direct replacement and improve output considerably without making them into light bombs that annoy oncoming drivers. I've run the same set in my STi for 10 years, so unlike high wattage halogen replacement bulbs these actually last a long time. They also run at the same wattage as stock. All 4 bulbs in the SVX can be replaced with HIR's. Here's the link to rallylights.com, a great local outfit that sells HIR bulbs.

http://www.rallylights.com/all/lights/light-bulbs/hir1
http://www.rallylights.com/all/lights/light-bulbs/hir2

As others have noted however, different bulbs will not turn the fog lights into driving lights.

There are also quite a few LED options available today, many of which don't take up much space at all. You might consider mounting something small in the lower grill area. The rallylights folks sell some of those too but they tend to be pricey. There are literally hundreds of places to buy LED light bars so shop around if you decide to go that route.

http://www.rallylights.com/all/lights/driving-fog/l/led
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss