Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-21-2014, 06:29 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Engine Temperature Gauge Question

So I have a question regarding engine temperature and the stock gauge.

I recently noticed my stock gauge is sitting higher than what it used to. See pictures below

Old setting

New setting

Now I don't hold much stock in the gauge but I did go through the ECU to get actual temps.

Highway driving the temp floated from around 179-189 (40/45mph to 65/70mph)

City driving resulted in a bit higher temps 185-196 (Moving including stop and go).

Now when not moving and idling the temp would reach 205, but at 205 the fans kicked in and the temp dropped down to 185 range.

Basically are these within the normal operating temperatures or is it running hotter than it should be. I already did a coolant change, thermostat and radiator cap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140318_163816[1].jpg (284.4 KB, 488 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140316_155725[1].jpg (576.9 KB, 471 views)

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 03-21-2014, 10:19 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Engine Temperature Gauge Question

To me all seems normal. Are you looking at the gauge at a different angle? Seat hight?

There's a dead zone of at least 30 F in the gauge :-)

/T
Old 03-21-2014, 10:40 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
To me all seems normal. Are you looking at the gauge at a different angle? Seat hight?

There's a dead zone of at least 30 F in the gauge :-)

/T
Same seat and height. I guess the gauge must be getting old. I might attempt replacing that sensor.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 03-21-2014, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Young Tom told me that there is a definite difference in the normal operating position of the gauge between OBDI and OBDII cars.

In my 92 pearlie, the normal operating temps put the gauge just below the halfway point, as in your old setting photo.

In my 96 polo, from day one at 42,000 miles, the temp gauge was dead center at operating temperatures. After a head gasket failure, YT installed a new engine at 122,000 miles, and the gauge still read the same and never fluctuated. He said that for some unknown reason, OBDII cars read a little higher.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 03-21-2014, 11:52 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Young Tom told me that there is a definite difference in the normal operating position of the gauge between OBDI and OBDII cars.

In my 92 pearlie, the normal operating temps put the gauge just below the halfway point, as in your old setting photo.

In my 96 polo, from day one at 42,000 miles, the temp gauge was dead center at operating temperatures. After a head gasket failure, YT installed a new engine at 122,000 miles, and the gauge still read the same and never fluctuated. He said that for some unknown reason, OBDII cars read a little higher.
Hey John,

Thanks for your reply. My svx is a 94 and OBDI. The mystery continues, I am more concerned it is operating within operating specs.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:06 AM

Registered SVX

There seems to be a difference in idle speed between the two..... AC on / AC off (?) - fans run all the time with the AC on.....

The dead zone should "cover" all this, though....

/T
Old 03-22-2014, 06:57 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Hey John,

Thanks for your reply. My svx is a 94 and OBDI. The mystery continues, I am more concerned it is operating within operating specs.
Really seems normal. When you're idling, there is no airflow over the radiator so the temps creep up, the fans turn on to pull air through the radiator and it cools down. The gauge reading higher is a moot point IMO. As Tapani said, the temp gauge, just as in all other cars, has a huge "dead" zone as otherwise everyone would freak out if they saw their temp gauge constantly moving.

Just keep an eye on things and on cold starts, just double check the level in the radiator.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Really seems normal. When you're idling, there is no airflow over the radiator so the temps creep up, the fans turn on to pull air through the radiator and it cools down. The gauge reading higher is a moot point IMO. As Tapani said, the temp gauge, just as in all other cars, has a huge "dead" zone as otherwise everyone would freak out if they saw their temp gauge constantly moving.

Just keep an eye on things and on cold starts, just double check the level in the radiator.

Thanks Nate, I am kind of set on the gauge being funky. I will stop worrying about it. If coolant starts disappearing I'll be concerned or if the gauge spikes. I just wanted to make sure the gauge sitting higher wasn't a sign of some coolant issue or it running hot. I also might just replace that one wire sensor see if that makes me feel any better.
So anything above 205 constant would be considered out of normal then?

Old 03-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
There seems to be a difference in idle speed between the two..... AC on / AC off (?) - fans run all the time with the AC on.....

The dead zone should "cover" all this, though....

/T
The AC might have been on the old setting but if anything that should have made it run warmer.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:26 PM

I recently went through the same thing with my '97 SVX, except it was the opposite... my temp gauge said I wasn't getting up to temp. 1986Nate and Tapani gave me some great direction to track it down. I also changed the thermostat ( and found out that it needs to be installed "right side up"). It was eventually determined by a OBD 2 code reader with a "live data" function that all was within specs. I had basically the same readings as you are seeing, it was the single wire temp sensor that had slowly ( over the space of a couple of weeks), decided to re-calibrate itself.

The idea that the temp gauge has a "dead zone" was a little hard to wrap my head around... but the explanation that car owners don't necessarily want to see it moving around makes perfect sense. Today, virtually all cars use electric fans, which means in traffic, the temp will go up, the fans will come on, and the temp will go up.. and the cycle will repeat. If you're used to seeing it at one specific point ( like you were), you'll pay attention / notice it more if it moves, but for most everyday driving, it just sits in the "dead zone" as the coolant temp cycles up and down with road speed or fan function.

"Back in the day" .. cars commonly used a constantly rotating, engine driven fan, some fixed, some clutched, some flex, but all of them had one thing in common.. They would usually keep the coolant temp fairly constant. A rise in temperature was a definite warning sign.

Personally, I've decided to leave my sensor alone for now, I know from the code reader what gauge reading correlates to what temperature, and I don't mind seeing it go up and down as the fans go off and on. The OBD2 reader sits in the glove box if I ever want to get a second opinion on the gauge reading.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
The AC might have been on the old setting but if anything that should have made it run warmer.
It turns on both fans at full speed, so not really.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:19 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
It turns on both fans at full speed, so not really.
So after more testing today I have come to the conclusion that it is fine.
Here is some hardcore data for peoples.

Over the course of 1.2 miles there was a elevation increase of 550ft. Temperature (A/C was not on) went from 187-194 climbing the hill. Once the hill was climbed the temperatures went back down to 187-189. (all maintaining 65-70mph).

Another hill was an elevation increase of about 700ft over 2 miles. A/C was on again and I did not go over 194. (Again 65-70mph)

Only thing I will note is that with the A/C on after about 45 minutes of driving coming to an idle resulted in the temps hovering around 196 then downwards after a few minutes. This could also be attributed to cap apparently leaking a small amount going to look into why this is as its a new cap. Going to make sure the PWR isn't causing it to sit too high.

I did change out the sensor for another one I had lying around and it is still sitting at the same spot. I can't explain the change but I will have to live with it. I did see when costing down hill and the temperature reached 178 it went to its old spot. I don't feel the engine was running so efficiently it never went over 178 so I will just assume all is well.

Just in case anyone else notices the gauge sits higher its worth checking data. I did know about the dead zone of the gauge but did not want to make assumptions.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:32 AM

Registered SVX

196 F engine outlet is fine. I bet the thermostat is not fully open if the airflow across the radiator is sufficient. There's a lot of margin for more heat rejection even with the OEM flimsy looking rad.

A temp sensor in the thermostat inlet housing would be nice :-).

The Subaru cooling (or any other system with the thermostat in the engine inlet and one based on high flow rate) can not be approached like the more traditional systems.

/T
Old 04-02-2014, 10:06 AM
M7

Registered SVX

Both gauge reading look normal to me,fans run. Be sure overflow us up and maybe change the temp. Sensor(s) just to say you did.