How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-26-2011, 12:12 PM
The Molinator

Unhappy QUICK Dead Battery.. ???

Heh.. When I leave my key in ON position.. for less than 5 minutes.. .

MY BATTERY GOES DEAD THAT FAST.. !!!

Is that normal, since I run with my lights on all the time?

Thanks, Jim

P.S. Happened when cop stopped me once.. Plus many times when working on car, and needing in Neutral (like to move car, or working on shift linkage).. like YESTERDAY.. ThOT I had something in tire (Low?).. so put in Neutral.. pushed back.. left in ON for 3-5 minutes... DEAD!!!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:15 PM

Registered SVX
Re: QUICK Dead Battery.. ???

no that isn't normal. you should be able to leave the car on even with the headlights for at least 5 minutes.
what condition is your battery and charging system?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
Is that normal, since I run with my lights on all the time?
No, not normal. I run with my lights all the time, too. You've got a weak battery, failing alternator, or both. Or maybe some wonky circuit that's drawing abnormally.

dcb
Old 10-26-2011, 01:31 PM
The Molinator

Angry Re: QUICK Dead Battery.. ???

WELL.. . the alternator was replaced (about 4 mos ago) .. after battery went dead resulting from 5-7 min stop, when COP stopped me, left key ON! Battery was checked (and found GrEaT!) about two weeks ago.. I took it out .. and to Pep Boys! [After similar incident.. battery GOT dead from similar situation.]

I know where the starter circuit is! .. .Where is the WoNkY CiRcUiT?

Thanks, Jim

P.S. Battery is $180 Interstate!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 03:55 AM

Are you sure the battery is dead or is it that the starter won't turn the engine to try to start it?

Keith
Old 10-27-2011, 11:32 AM
The Molinator

Cool Re: QUICK Dead Battery.. ???

When this happens.. Then, the dash lights go out when trying to start! But, you may be at least partially right.. . The solenoid/starter may have been shorting..or sucking way too much juice when malfunctioning.. ??

After replacing starter two nights ago.. starts great..

A week or so ago.. I took battery out.. to Pep Boys (where I bot it) .. they said it was GOOD.. ?? Today, I went to Autozone.. They used a meter on the in-car battery.. They said it is DeAd! .. ??? [CHarging OK]

Of course, I'm not anxious to turn key ON for 5 minutes (without starting).. . to ChEcK!?

Thanks, Jim

Last edited by James Scott; 10-27-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Battery chargers are actually very reasonable to purchase Jim. JK!! Being drawn down to DEAD isn't good for the battery as I recall, possibly causing complete failure. Battery going dead in such a short period of time says almost direct short to ground. Should be relatively easy to find with an ohm-meter. Disconnect battery and read across the battery cables, pulling fuses to spot the culprit.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket

Last edited by RojoRocket; 10-27-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:50 PM

Registered SVX

you should take your battery to a shop that has the appropriate means of testing it and doesn't have an interest in it either way. pep boys wants the battery to be good so they don't have to warranty it and autozone wants it to be bad so they can sell you their battery. the only proper way to test a battery is with a carbon pile tester. those little handheld electronic testers are useless and often don't give the same results twice in a row on the same battery. they infer the amount of power the battery can put out by drawing a small load watching the drop in voltage and extrapolating that info into larger numbers that batteries are rated in. a carbon pile tester will actually draw however many amps is necessary to do a truly functional test of both the battery output and alternator max charge rate. most shops have these and typically won't charge you to test your battery/alternator.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:18 PM
The Molinator

I haven't checked the battery again.. or had an "opportunity" to drain the battery dead by leaving key on ON.. but, I can say.. without question.. the start mechanism is substantially improved! It never delays kicking in the solenoid, which it did at times (0.5 to 1.5 sec delay to do anything) before..

I'm thinking somehow the starter might have been causing the drain when left in the ON position.. ?? What circuit is turned on by the ON key position that could drain the battery so fast? Could it be the starter itself? Could the positive lead to the starter short somehow to the ground.. because of starter malfunction (short).. ??

Help? Someone understand the ON position circuits that are initiated by ON .. that could short?

Thanks, Jim

P. S. My solenoid was obviously the culprit, at least! I got an entire rebuilt starter cuz it was only $10 more ($80 instead of $70) than a solenoid.. .
Old 11-01-2011, 02:20 PM

Registered SVX

Not done intentionally, BUT I could not remove you ignition key when I arrived for a doctor appointment . It stayed in "acc " position for 2 hours I did turn off the radio and headlights. Car started fine .