Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-05-2008, 12:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to IceBlade
Lots of great stories. I'll try and keep mine short.

I was looking for a car in July and had finally managed to save $3000. The day after I got the paycheck that put me at 3k mark I was at my buddies house outside working on his Trans Am when his neighbor comes out, drink in hand, and starts talking about this car he's selling. He was pretty wasted and wouldn't stop talking so my buddy and I went over to look and his neighbor practically pushed us into the car to take it for a drive. So you know two 19 year old's getting a free ride in this cool car we take it out on the highway and get her up to 200km/h (That's like what 120-125mph or something?)

We were both thoroughly impressed at the balls this car had and when we got back my friend asked how much he wanted for it and he said he was looking for $5000 but would sell to him for 3 and include summer tires with mags and a set of winter tires with the original mags. My friend didn't have 3 g's but I piped up and was like "I do!"

The next day I go back to this guys house and be like yeah we talked last night about the car.. I want to buy it. The guy was like "I was pretty drunk last night when I told you I'd sell it for $3000 so I'll sell it to you for that but if my wife asks tell her I sold it for 5!"

And that's how I got my baby. It was fate..
Old 03-05-2008, 01:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
This has been a fun thread to read. Thanks to everybody who shared.

I'll tell you mine, but it's not that interesting. Long story short, I bought my '93 off a Dodge dealer's lot in VT in '99. As every car dealer before or since told me, 'somebody else is interested in it, too.' Sure, bub.

About a year after I bought it, I was at a gas station in the same town when a kid walked up and said, 'hey, I wanted that car but somebody else bought it before I did!'

In late 2000, my wife was actually driving my SVX to the private school she worked for. A guy in a Dodge pickup parked near her, got out and said, 'hey, that's my dad's car!' It turned out he had a kid in the school. The SVX was his father's, and when he died this guy traded it on the pickup. I bought a ski rack, snow tires and steel wheels off him.

Two states later I still have my SVX. I don't drive it much, maybe 750 miles a year. I think about selling it every so often, but the longer I hang on to it the less I really want to sell it. I'm about to buy an '06 RX8, really a very nice car, and I'm going to make it sit outside, drive it in the snow and salt and beat the daylights out of it while the '93 SVX has a garage and a cover over it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-07-2011, 08:20 PM

Registered SVX
Re: A Good Svx Story

Great thread! I thought I would try to revive it. Here is my SVX Story.

I learned to drive in a Subaru. We lived in Northern Canada where there were snow banks as big as our house some years. My Uncle was the accountant for Subaru Canada at the time so we were able to get his demo cars for a discount. I learned quickly the advantages of all wheel drive.

A few years later after running my parents old Subarus into the ground I purchased my first vehicle. I was aware of the SVX at that time as a guy used to park his right beside my old beat up Subaru GL AWD Wagon in the underground parking. He said his sister liked to drive the SVX more than her own Porsche. I would drool over it but it was way out of my price range at the time. My Mom had an XT 6 and I had always loved to drive it and I was able to find an XT 6 in my price range so I jumped at the chance. The car looked a little bit awkward from some angles but it was a pleasure to drive.

Unfortunately about four years later I was rear ended by a tow truck towing a car. That wrote my XT 6 off and subsequently I had to have major neck surgery to avoid becoming a quadriplegic. Dramatic I know, long story short it all worked out in the end. Anyway, I had to then buy a new car so I decided to look at the SVX since the car's value had dropped to a price I could afford. It was a little difficult to find one so I was also looking for any decent car with AWD. Most of the salespeople I spoke to said "…they don't make cars like that.". I finally found and test drove a local SVX. The guy told me stories of how fast he had raced it around corners and such so I wondered about its condition. It had about 160 000 km (100 000 miles) on it so I decided to keep looking. I then found one an hours plane flight away with 64 000 km (40 000 miles) so I flew up the next day, did the deal and drove it home.

That was just over 10 years ago and 100 000 km (62 000 miles) and she is still going strong with the original transmission and no significant problems (Knock on wood).

That car had been so good to me I jumped at the chance when I saw a 1997 Laguna Blue SVX for sale on the local Craigslist. The thing only had 33 000 km (20 000 miles). I had dreams of it that night and decided I should go look at it first thing in the morning. I called and the salesman said he still had it but someone else was on their way to look at it. "Yeah right!", I thought but drove over right away.

It was a beautiful car, I almost couldn't believe it, and I think it was on Craigslist for just over a week. After showing him how to adjust the steering wheel properly since he had it set like a bus, I took it for a test drive. All seemed good so I decided to take a chance and buy it. I left him a deposit and signed the paperwork and arranged an appointment to pick it up. I was just about to leave when low and behold another SVX pulls up. The guy gets out and asks about the SVX for sale and I tell him I just bought it! He was very interested to see the car anyway so I agreed to allow him to look at it. I think he was as impressed as I was.

A couple of days later I went to pick the car up and the salesman told me that the car was mine to buy but the gentleman who looked at it after me had offered to give me $1000 to walk away from the deal and he was prepared to pay the salesman another $1000 on top of the asking price! I thought about it for about 2 seconds and declined on the offer. We finalized the deal and I was the proud new owner of my Laguna Blue.

I had planned on selling my other SVX but so far haven't had luck selling it at the price I have been asking. That means I am proud owner of 2 very nice SVXs.

My SVX Picture Gallery from last year: http://gallery.me.com/mdhmedia#100115

1997 Laguna Pearl LSi 39 000 mi 62 000 km

1992 Claret LS-L Sold 105 000 mi 169 000 km

1988 XT6 Written Off 111 000 mi 180 000 km
Old 07-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Mine is the worst story in the world..

Wrecked my cavalier early nov. of last year, Saw my friend selling his 92 pearl with 163k on the odo. I was like "YES, Im so ready to buy it!" but I was about $500 short of what he wanted. I continued to be a sad banana afterwards..

Fast forward to March, he lowered the price to $1500, and I KNEW I had to have it..

Called a junkyard, sold my cavalier shell to them for $200, thus putting me in the 18xx range..Drove up to Indianapolis at 5am, grabbed the car before he went to work, and BAM! here I am..167k on the odo and COULDNT be happier..Right now I'm just waiting to replace the valve gaskets, and rear diff
Old 07-08-2011, 02:01 AM

Registered SVX

So the buying of my SVX was kind of a fluke. At the time I was looking for some kind of project car to fix a bit and take to car shows and such. I was looking at a Datsun 510, but decided that it would be more costly to put back together than I was willing to spend. I passed on it and saw beautiful pictures of my SVX. Now at the time, I was trying to talk myself out of spending that money. I saw the car start off at $4500. I knew I couldn't afford that. I watched the price plummet for the next couple of weeks until finally I thought I had to at least test drive it. At the time I was likeany other driver new to SVXes. I did not know that all were automatic transmissions. I have to thank Calixto (Apocalixto) for giving me so much buying knowlege. He told me exactly what was wrong with the car and I appreciated that. I drove the car and was in a small state of shock after. This was literally the smoothest car that I have ever driven. I had never driven another AWD car so that was an experience all in itself. I went home to think about it. The price was $3500. Calixto and I finally agreed on $3250. Since that time I have tried to sell the car simply because I don't drive it very often and I feel it sits too much. Recently, I have started slowly working on things. I am taking the tint (paint) off the taillights to return them to stock. Also, I plan on pulling the engine to reseal everything. In the next couple of years I would like to turbo it and repaint it. This car needs to become everything I thought it could be when I first saw that post on craigslist. I will do my best to keep pushing towards that.

On a funny note I had a guy in a brand new Camaro stare at my car forso long, he sat there for 15 seconds after his light had turned green
Old 07-10-2011, 02:58 PM
At home in the flatland

Registered SVX

Some of you may have seen this here already, http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56758, but here is the story on my first car/subaru/svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wohnson89 View Post
When I was about eleven or so, I saw my first SVX. My family and I were going out for lunch and when we got to the restaurant we saw this wild red car parked in the parking lot. I immediately thought it was a Ferrari or some kind of exotic. My dad’s eyes lit up when he saw it. He knew the unmistakable lines of the SVX instantly. When, in 1993, my dad went out to buy his first new car it was between a few different cars, the Mazda RX-7 and the Subaru SVX were among these. The SVX got beaten out and he got the RX-7 but he had always liked the car. Of course being a body man’s son I too was interested, but I figured it was one of those cars that I would never be able to afford in my lifetime.

About a year ago, my search for the perfect car for my first car began. I had many criteria that the car had to meet: good looking, okay gas mileage, under budget well equipped (leather, heater, windshield, usual stuff)I made up a list with everything from Ford Broncos to Mitsubishi 3000gt vr4’s, which included the options and years that I wanted. I don’t know why, but my specificity made it hard for me to find a car. (I guess I’m just picky) Often I would ask my dad about a particular car that I found on Craigslist just to find out that it was either sold or he would not be interested in it, and he would just say “something will show up just trust me.”

That summer I was talking to my dad about cars, as we so often do, and he brought up this car that a friend of his had recently become engrossed in. He called it a “Subaru SVX.” I had all but forgotten that SVX that I saw in that restaurant parking lot so many years ago. Once again was intrigued but not quite obsessive. As my search for a car became ever more feverish, I was looking harder and harder to find that “perfect car.” Every time my dad would just say “something will show up just trust me.”

Around august of this year, I was playing with my dads phone and saw that there were some pictures of a SVX on it, in his parking lot. I didn’t know what to think because at first I thought it was his friends SVX but his was green, not black and white. It was a beautiful machine.

Months went by before I heard anything more about that mysterious black and white symbol of vehicular transportation. Then one afternoon, while sitting in the house waiting for the sound of the 5.7L Hemi that powered his Ram to roll into the drive way, I heard something else, something that sounded like nothing we owned, and I looked outside and I saw it. It was the SVX that I had seen on his phone months ago, and it was sitting in the driveway.

I immediately dropped what I was doing and ran outside. Something that I had never felt before overcame me and compelled me to run to it, and fast. It was like when a baby sees a wagon and in dumb struck awe he runs to it. I was so excited. We then surveyed the car then took it to a nearby parking lot so that I could drive it. I was even more in love with it.

My dad had to fill me in on the details of this car. The friend of my dad’s who we bought the car from, picked the car up from a person around the Washington area as a parts car. While under the control of that owner in the Washington area, the transmission blew-up. I think it had something to do with the owner shifting the car into neutral and revving it till it red-lined, and then slamming it into drive to do an all-wheel burnout, but it’s just an idea. When my dad’s friend acquired the car he completely rebuilt the transmission and fixed some other things fully intending on this SVX to be his second SVX but, his other projects forced him to sell the car to my dad. On November 10, 2010, “The Revrend” was moved to my hands. And I became the proud owner of a 1992 Subaru SVX LS-L.