SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Low idle, misfires at low rpm

Well, I figure now is as good a time as any to re-hash an old issue which, as far as i can tell, hasn't had a proper resolution.
my car, as the title indicates, has a low idle, and runs quite rough at low rpm. The car seems like it has a miss up till about 2500-3000 rpm, then suddenly realizes it has all it's horses and jumps into action. As far as i can tell, it operates perfectly in the higher rpm range (however, it HAS been quite a while since i've had a properly working svx, so my standards of what's right or not could be skewed)
The problem seems to mostly be when it's cold...but it will do it at operating temperature occasionally as well. Also, when i get gas, the tank is pressurized and hisses as me, which may or may not be related to the problem. Also, i get the dip stick pop up, which makes me think the pvc is stuck, but if i remember correctly, i replaced that about a year ago. In any case, the only check engine codes i've gotten are for the o2 sensors, which have been bad since the dawn of time, and the egr, which i removed.

trying to find the issue at hand, i've replaced the cam sensors, crank sensors, all the coils, the maf, the tps, the ignitor on the firewall, the engine and under manifold wiring harnesses,the ground strap from the trans to the firewall, used dielectric grease on every plug, replaced the fuel filter, rails, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, used fuel injector and water drying solutions in the gas, changed all the vacume lines under the manifold,replaced the ecu, checked the timing, and replaced the spark plugs. No changes.

I happened upon this thread trying to figure out what else to look for, and it seems this guy had similar issues, but after reading 8 pages into it, the thread dead ends http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...light=low+idle I also suspected removing the egr could be causing detonation, but the thread i started on the subject also got nowhere. I know people have removed egr systems without concequence before, so this might not be it either.

Needless to say, i'm at wit's end here
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 01-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Low idle, misfires at low rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric View Post
Well, I figure now is as good a time as any to re-hash an old issue which, as far as i can tell, hasn't had a proper resolution.
my car, as the title indicates, has a low idle, and runs quite rough at low rpm. The car seems like it has a miss up till about 2500-3000 rpm, then suddenly realizes it has all it's horses and jumps into action. As far as i can tell, it operates perfectly in the higher rpm range (however, it HAS been quite a while since i've had a properly working svx, so my standards of what's right or not could be skewed)
The problem seems to mostly be when it's cold...but it will do it at operating temperature occasionally as well. Also, when i get gas, the tank is pressurized and hisses as me, which may or may not be related to the problem. Also, i get the dip stick pop up, which makes me think the pvc is stuck, but if i remember correctly, i replaced that about a year ago. In any case, the only check engine codes i've gotten are for the o2 sensors, which have been bad since the dawn of time, and the egr, which i removed.

trying to find the issue at hand, i've replaced the cam sensors, crank sensors, all the coils, the maf, the tps, the ignitor on the firewall, the engine and under manifold wiring harnesses,the ground strap from the trans to the firewall, used dielectric grease on every plug, replaced the fuel filter, rails, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, used fuel injector and water drying solutions in the gas, changed all the vacume lines under the manifold,replaced the ecu, checked the timing, and replaced the spark plugs. No changes.

I happened upon this thread trying to figure out what else to look for, and it seems this guy had similar issues, but after reading 8 pages into it, the thread dead ends http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...light=low+idle I also suspected removing the egr could be causing detonation, but the thread i started on the subject also got nowhere. I know people have removed egr systems without concequence before, so this might not be it either.

Needless to say, i'm at wit's end here
I would pull all 6 plugs and see if one of them is not like the others. Your problem could be a lot of things, but seeing if its a miss on any one cylinder could help save you some time and money.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX

I should have mentioned...I've unplugged injectors while it was running and it seems no one cylender in particular is missing. what i'm really looking as suspect is either clogged cats(they are the originals afterall) or the lack of an egr, but as far as i know anyone else whose removed it hasn't had issues
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 01-30-2011, 07:51 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

It shouldnt be the EGR. Have you tried Seafoaming your system? And what about vacuum leaks, have you checked for them?

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:39 PM

Registered SVX

I am not sure what to recommend to you specifically. My issues have not been fixed entirely, but the car is running (dare I say) well.... The real culprit in the stalling and rough running and low wobbly idle was the MAF. Also, I went back to the OEM spark plugs- I mean the ones that originally came with the car 16 years ago. Runs much more smoothly with those in. At one point in the process I shot the car with a 12 gauge filled with "part-shot"

which included:

-6 new coils
-new CTS
-new TPS
-new breather gaskets, hoses
-new PS o-ring
-new vac lines - all
-new TB and by-pass gaskets
-new left side O2 sensor

At any rate the majority of the issues have been resolved by the great advice from you all and a large money-injection. I am thinking my residual issue- popping from decel at re-opening throttle are from oddball ignition as a result of my exhaust configuration. I have a stebro muffler and ditched the resonator. I am going to live with it, and its kind of entertaining anyway.

Thanks,
Mac

1995 SVX-L AWD, green, 98,xxx miles, ECUtune 1.5, mazda RX-8 wheels with subie center caps, stebro muffler, resonator delete, koni inserts, perrin crank pulley, hella 500 off-road lights, power-slot rotors and .....
1993 968 Coupe 6-speed, 80,xxx miles black, H&R springs