Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 08-31-2010, 06:22 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Re: Oil catcher for SVX

C'mon, you know better! The clear hose is temporary, to show that there's definitely junk going in and filtered air coming out, justifying the cans.

Naturally, I can't vouch for whether an NA engine would need both as well. It's an easy experiment for anyone who wants to take it on!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:24 PM
Porsche Autofanatiker

Re: Oil catcher for SVX

Well for what it's worth here's a simple shot of the AOS on my car. Not 100% complete yet, and not plumbed but sitting in the rough spot against the firewall. This is a similar system I make for other non dry sump race motors I build and/or setup. Whipped this one up form some scrap kicking around the material bins.

Stainless, triple chamber, heated. There are three inlets(you can see two on right, there's one of left with no fitting on at the moment). 8AN size, two come from the valve covers, one from the oil cap or oil filler neck. Those inlets dump into the main chamber(bottom area of tank) where the oil vapor must pass set number of baffles. This allows heavy oil to collect on the walls and drip to the base. The vapor then passes through a second chamber, also baffled, then onto the final chamber filled with stainless packing before exiting the tank through the filter. All residua oil is collected and runs down to the base of the tank, when it feeds to the 12AN return line back to the crankcase.

There is no PCV in this and nothing returns back to the inlet. Manifold port is plugged and I have a non-oem inlet pipe up to the throttles. Emissions friendly...hah....no

The tank is also heated. Typically I would fab a stainless coil into the tank that has coolant flow through it. This one has a small 12 volt electric element because I needed it to be quickly removable, and draining coolant is far from quick on this car. The heater is there to prevent condensation in cooler weather. On non heated return type AOS setups condensation can build and you don't want that returning back to the motor.

I've built these setups for quite a few racecars and they work excellent. Crawford actually makes a similar setup for the EJ motors, heated and all. Far overkill for most daily drivers and the above catch tank setup pictured by the other members is just fine for 99.999% of you guys. Just wanted to post this here regardless