Old 10-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: AirBags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy'sSVX View Post
i just hit ice went into a field and for some reason the air bags popped.

HELP!
They sure are the dangest things, airbags.

Do you think maybe if you had stayed on the road they might not pop?

Reckon I'll avoid launching into fields from here on, just to be on the safe side.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Just my $.02. The FSM states: " IF any of the airbag system parts such as sensors, air bag module, control unit or harness are damaged or deformed, replace with new genuine parts". It would appear to me that anyone saying that simple activation of the system requires all new parts is simply attempting to empty your pockets into theirs. It further states to be certain to depower the system, by disconnecting from all connectors, and disconnecting the battery. Also, to wait a minumum of 10 min before testing after removing power, and be sure to use only digital circuit tester rather than analog, which may cause it to activate erroneously. . They also recommend using a harness connector for testing rather than directly to any connector terminal.
Also, when reassembling the airbag module be sure to position oneself to one side rather than in harms way. Having recently experienced airbag deployment up close and personal, I can vouch for their wallop.
Again, I would personally recommend purchasing a set of FSM's before attempting any work on the car one has any doubts about.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 10-09-2008, 01:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy'sSVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket View Post
Just my $.02. The FSM states: " IF any of the airbag system parts such as sensors, air bag module, control unit or harness are damaged or deformed, replace with new genuine parts". It would appear to me that anyone saying that simple activation of the system requires all new parts is simply attempting to empty your pockets into theirs. It further states to be certain to depower the system, by disconnecting from all connectors, and disconnecting the battery. Also, to wait a minumum of 10 min before testing after removing power, and be sure to use only digital circuit tester rather than analog, which may cause it to activate erroneously. . They also recommend using a harness connector for testing rather than directly to any connector terminal.
Also, when reassembling the airbag module be sure to position oneself to one side rather than in harms way. Having recently experienced airbag deployment up close and personal, I can vouch for their wallop.
Again, I would personally recommend purchasing a set of FSM's before attempting any work on the car one has any doubts about.

Glenn
Thank you very much.
Where did you get that info, I'd like to look into it a little more.
And what exactly do you mean by FSM?
Old 10-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Sorry Jer'. FSM refers to the Factory Service Manuals. In this case section 5-5 Supplemental Restraint System. There are 48 pages in this section Detailing :
Mechanism and Function
Component Parts
Service Procedure
Troubleshooting
1: Self-Diagnosis System
2: Diagram of SRS Airbag
3: Wiring Location
4: Test Harnesses
5: Troubleshooting Chart with Trouble Code.

The books are invaluable when attempting to service. dismantle and reassemble lots of the components. They consist of 4 lengthy volumes including Sections 1-6 plus yearly supplements for each model year.
Personally, if you want to tinker these are the first thing to purchase (pricey!) before buying so-called "GO FAST" parts. Again, just my $.02.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!

Old 10-09-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Sorry Jer'. FSM refers to the Factory Service Manuals. In this case section 5-5 Supplemental Restraint System. There are 48 pages in this section Detailing :
Mechanism and Function
Component Parts
Service Procedure
Troubleshooting
1: Self-Diagnosis System
2: Diagram of SRS Airbag
3: Wiring Location
4: Test Harnesses
5: Troubleshooting Chart with Trouble Code.

The books are invaluable when attempting to service. dismantle and reassemble lots of the components. They consist of 4 lengthy volumes including Sections 1-6 plus yearly supplements for each model year.
Personally, if you want to tinker these are the first thing to purchase (pricey!) before buying so-called "GO FAST" parts. Again, just my $.02.

Glenn
I'm definitely gonna have to get one of those, do you know where i can get one?

Just to clarify, thats not the manual that came with the car right? Its like the mechanics manual basically?

Wow i feel stupid, hahah.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Yes, these are actual Service Manuals, not the owner's manual. I looked at www.subaruparts.com and they are currently selling for about $250-260 depending on the year of the car. As I said they are pricey. Sometimes they come up on ebay and here on this forum used. They have saved me no end of frustration, and a lot of broken/mangled parts(and knuckles, and EGO!). And if it makes you feel any better, I will sometimes still struggle with something, and remembering to check the manuals AFTER struggling feel like an absolute IDJIT!! LOL!!

Glenn

Old 10-09-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, these are actual Service Manuals, not the owner's manual. I looked at www.subaruparts.com and they are currently selling for about $250-260 depending on the year of the car. As I said they are pricey. Sometimes they come up on ebay and here on this forum used. They have saved me no end of frustration, and a lot of broken/mangled parts(and knuckles, and EGO!). And if it makes you feel any better, I will sometimes still struggle with something, and remembering to check the manuals AFTER struggling feel like an absolute IDJIT!! LOL!!

Glenn
Haha, i looked at them on there, of course my year (1994) is the one thats $310. But i have a feeling my dad can get ahold of a lot of this stuff becuase he always comes home with diagrams of this kind of stuff, he has programs galore. hahah

Thanks a lot though!