How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-16-2002, 03:30 PM
alacrity024

OT: Isuzu Impulse??

My brother currently drives a '91 Mazda Navajo (Explorer Sport clone) and after driving the SVX, has become convinced that he eneds to buy a car as opposed to a truck. I couldn't agree with him more. However I don't think that the SVX is quite right for him--it's a little too.. how to say.. "posh" for his tastes.

Recently in the newspaper under the "Sports Cars for Sale" section, I spied a 1988 Isuzu Impulse for $3,500. I had never seen an impulse that old, so I didn't really give it much thought. Today, however, I drove past it. It was sitting in its owners driveway with a For Sale sign and the original dealer window stickers. So I pulled over and took a look.

At first glance, I had mistaken it for a VW Scirroco--a very attractive vehicle by my standards. Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be, in fact, an Isuzu. AN ISUZU! Amazingly attractive, great lines, and a real stylish front-end. Looking closer, I noticed two distinct emblems that read 'Handling by LOTUS" no way. Well look at that. Lotus did the suspension. Not only that, but the motor has an intercooled turbo bolted on! and it's a five speed! and it's only got 70k miles! and it's only 3,500!! I want it!!!!!!

But I digress. Does anyone have any experience with these cars? in my entire life, I had never seen one until today. I actually considered asking the owner if he'd take my SVX in trade.. but.. well.. I guess we'll see what people have to say. All I can think is that it would be nice to be driving a five-speed turbo car again.

-Adam
Old 08-16-2002, 03:37 PM
Green1995SVX

It's good looking because its an Ital Design car... hehe

-Mike
Old 08-16-2002, 03:41 PM
Vern!

It gets even better: This car was designed by the same Italian behind the SVX.

Buy it. I had one, it was a blast, wish now I had never sold it.

Fun car to drive, superb cockpit design that allows you to control everything but the radio whith both hands remaining on the steering wheel.

At night the placement of the indicator lights makes you feel like you are in a X-Wing fighter or something. Make sure all your lights work.

www.isuzuperformance.com is about the only place you can get upgrades, they have been in business for 5-6 years. (I have met the owner in person)

Overall a really neat car, that still looks absolutely fabulous even though the body design is almost 23 years old.

(And lowered an inch or two... )
Old 08-16-2002, 04:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
A friend, and coworker, has a 90(?) Impulse RS. It's a 2.0L, turbo, AWD car. Very, very neat.

I love the 'Handling by Lotus' badges on the car.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-16-2002, 05:02 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

Isuzu Impulses were very popular in Canada at the time. First they were sold under Isuzu along side Saturns. Then they were rebadged as the Asuna Sunfire and sold along side Pontiacs in GMs failed attempt to get import buyers into their showrooms.

Anywhoo, I've driven the non-turbo version (130hp vs 160hp for the turbo). My parents had a little black number. Very small car. Handled well and was quick enough (for an automatic transmission). It was (and still is) the worst handling front-wheel drive car in the snow I've ever had the white-knuckled pleasure of driving. It might have been the tires, but I know they put on a different set of all-season tires after the originals were replaced and it didn't help. Don't be fooled by the fact I live in California now. I spent 10 winters in Canada and upstate New York, so I've seen my fair share of snow. The car didn't have ABS and every stop in the snow was an adventure. It ended up in the ditch twice. Not by me, but by someone who hadn't been in a accident in 20 years! If I remember correctly, the turbo versions are AWD, so maybe it won't be an issue.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 08-16-2002, 05:44 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Alacrity,

Go to Yahoo and look up the Isuzu Impulse club. I'm sure that they can help and answer all your questions.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 08-16-2002, 08:23 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

I think the '88 was the first year with the Lotus set-up, but I'm not sure. Yes - it was on MY short list for a "So what if it's an orphan, I want it", car. Very nice looking & very difficult to find in decent shape. I gave up & settled for an SVX. (riiight). Anyway, I'd jump all over a cherry one for $3,500.
Good luck.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:23 PM
alacrity024

whoo boy.. this is gonna be tough.

I called the dude who's selling the car. His brother was the original owner, and then he bought the car from his brother in 96. He claims it's in fairly excellent shape, aside from what you'd expect in a 15-year old car. He says it still goes as strong--if not stronger than it did when new. The suspension is still tight as well. So guess what? IT'S REAR-WHEEL DRIVE!! AWESOME!! This is seriously what I always wanted.. a five-speed, turbocharged, lightweight, rear-drive sportscar with a beefy suspension. However, he made it perfectly clear that the impulse was NOT a winter car.

I'm torn.

On one hand, I could keep the SVX and live in constant fear of transmission failure... or I could try and sell the svx for enough money to afford the impulse AND an old 4wd vehicle to tough out the new hampshire winters. I don't think I could get too much money for the svx though, and I really would rather have two italdesign cars than just one

I suppose I'll figure it out eventually.

-Adam
Old 08-16-2002, 10:36 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024

I called the dude who's selling the car. His brother was the original owner, and then he bought the car from his brother in 96. He claims it's in fairly excellent shape, aside from what you'd expect in a 15-year old car. He says it still goes as strong--if not stronger than it did when new. The suspension is still tight as well. So guess what? IT'S REAR-WHEEL DRIVE!! AWESOME!! This is seriously what I always wanted.. a five-speed, turbocharged, lightweight, rear-drive sportscar with a beefy suspension. However, he made it perfectly clear that the impulse was NOT a winter car.

I'm torn.

On one hand, I could keep the SVX and live in constant fear of transmission failure... or I could try and sell the svx for enough money to afford the impulse AND an old 4wd vehicle to tough out the new hampshire winters. I don't think I could get too much money for the svx though, and I really would rather have two italdesign cars than just one

-Adam

Hey, Adam - What the heck is "fairly excellent" shape? Oh - it's Anna Nicole. Hahahahaha.

Offer $2,000 CASH - RIGHT NOW!! He knows & you know the car needs work. Keep the SVX. How could you even think of....?

Ugh. Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:51 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024

NOT a winter car.

I'm torn.

On one hand, I could keep the SVX

-Adam
Listen to me, Adam, and listen very intently. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to see (use that 'Mind's Eye' thing) a swinging pendulum (would a pendulum still be a pendulum if it didn't swing?) and chant in low tones:

YOU WILL KEEP THE SVX - - - YOU WILL KEEP THE SVX - - - YOU WILL KEEP THE SVX . . .

There. I think you'll be just fine.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 08-17-2002, 09:06 PM

Talking Impulse!

I would love to drive the Impulse as my second car next to an SVX.
Yeah, the design is from ItalDesign so I always had an eye on that car, but it's hard to get one in Europe.
Maybe there is a way to one some time.

bye for now
mfg hrc