How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-13-2002, 06:14 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Send a message via AIM to Kurt_W
How to unplugging the cigarette lighter?

How do I unplug the cigarette lighter so that I can use the power supplied to it to power my CB? For that matter, how do I get the center console covers off (around the radio)?

Or for that matter, is there anywhere else i could plug into to get 12V without running it off the battery?

I apologize for the inherent lameness of these questions, but I wasn’t able to figure out how to get it apart a couple weeks ago and I don’t want to break anything.

TIA
Kurt
'91 Miata - a lot-o-miles
'88 CRX Si/B16 not-so-SiR
'73 Datsun 240Z

Last edited by Kurt_W; 08-13-2002 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:45 PM

This is a lame answer, but do a search. Somebody (sorry I foget who) has photos/descriptions in their personal locker.

Basically to get the lighter out requires either removing the whole console (BIG pain) or taking out the radio and ashtray combined with talented fingers. The problem is the plastic piece holding the lighter is attached from the rear with screws before they installed the console. Talented fingers should allow you to pull off the electrical connector.

To get the radio out isn't hard once you've seen it done or read a good description, it just takes a lot of typing to describe correctly. Do the search, it's been covered several times.

Alternately, look at the fuse box by the drivers side kick panel and use some kind of a splicing device to pull power off one of the wires.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:45 AM
alacrity024

I don't know how much use this will be to you, but I just fitted a CB into my car.. I was a little worried at first, because my only power socket was being used by my radar detector, but on a trip to the nearby Radio Sh**, I found a 3-outlet "power strip" for cigarette lighter-adapters. I just wedged it and the CB unit in between the passenger seat & center armrest. Now I've got power for both my gadgets and an unoccupied slot for whenever I decide to get a cellphone. Granted it's not quite as pretty as a custom wiring job, but this way I can quickly remove devices should the need arise. See you on channel 19

-Adam
Old 08-14-2002, 05:01 PM
Hater

Radio Sh** has things called fuse taps that i used to power my gauges. it slips over the blade of a fuse and leaves a spade plug sticking above the fuse that you can connect to.

Alan

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-14-2002, 07:20 PM
red95svx

Adam,

I also have a 3 socket power strip. I put it in the empty space below my new cd player/radio (single din). Now I can run the radar detector and charge my cell phone at the same time. Very handy (I'll try to get a pic up soon).

David
Old 08-14-2002, 08:49 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Send a message via AIM to Kurt_W
Cool, thanks

I had previously done a search of the archives, but didn't use the term "radio" or "12v" in it thus didn't get any useful finds.

I only need the power temporarily as I am driving back to Ohio from Texas this weekend and its a very long boring drive. The CB also helps me keep track of our finely dressed badged friends who like out of state visitors.

I will probably check into the suggestions above once I get home, but I wont have a chance to do it before then.

Thanks again
'91 Miata - a lot-o-miles
'88 CRX Si/B16 not-so-SiR
'73 Datsun 240Z
Old 08-14-2002, 08:53 PM

you can trap a wire under a fuse in your fuse box while grounding the other and use this as a power supply